What Players has Roy impacted the most?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sacco used Stastny in an exclusively defensive role and according to reports, called him out if he even tried anything other than chip it along the boards.

It's more than just being a contract year, though that motivates all athletes (Sakic in 2001). Sacco was actually holding him back, an argument known Stazz-hater Adrian Dater refused to accept despite repeated arguments and proof from Jibblescribbits.

And remember Stastny also had Jones on his wing for most of last year when Sacco was busy trying to suck whatever life was left out of him, also using him in an exclusively defensive role, even though he's not built for that type of game at all.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
What's amazing and sometimes really under-stated is not the impact Roy has had on the players but the impact he's had on the fan-base.

I could listen to him talk all-day long and not grow tired of it. He absolutely oozes passion for and knowledge of the game.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Sacco used Stastny in an exclusively defensive role and according to reports, called him out if he even tried anything other than chip it along the boards.

It's more than just being a contract year, though that motivates all athletes (Sakic in 2001). Sacco was actually holding him back, an argument known Stazz-hater Adrian Dater refused to accept despite repeated arguments and proof from Jibblescribbits.

And remember Stastny also had Jones on his wing for most of last year when Sacco was busy trying to suck whatever life was left out of him, also using him in an exclusively defensive role, even though he's not built for that type of game at all.

I don't think that is correct. Duchene was played against the top lines all season last year. I remember this because I brought it up about 75 times. I complained that Stastny SHOULD be playing against the oppositions top lines. He is most effective when doing so. Stastny is the perfect center to compliment Duchene, because Stastny takes the tough assignments defensively. Duchene takes the tough assignments offensively.

Now if you are talking about playing style regarding Stastny and not match ups......well we all know that our "system" was brutal and ineffective.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think MacKinnon is the one he's impacted the most. I don't think he feels nearly as confident, upbeat, and focused on what he can do to be successful through the early part of the season, with another coach. He never seemed to stumble, get frustrated, or let his mistakes snowball. I think that's all Roy putting him in a great position to succeed, stressing all the positives, and bringing him along as well as possible.

I think Roy helped EJ and Barrie some, but I think the biggest contributor to the success of the D has been Tourigny and Foote. They've been successful because of their improvement on details. Roy giving them freedom to attack in the offensive zone has helped their confidence for sure though.

Staz, Dutchy, and Landy have been helped too, but I think that's a lot to do with themselves. The new style of play, an Patty's optimism definitely benefits them though.

In the end though I think Roy treated Mack like his own personal project and benefited all areas of his game in doing so. He easily could have had a much different season, and not have nearly as much confidence in his NHL game right now.

The sum of the parts is Roy's greatest success though. Getting the forwards to play as a tight five man group and always be in position in the neutral zone and their blueline, while still having a potent offensive game is his greatest success. Teaching the forwards how to support the D men and forwards in transition, and practicing the hell out of it is his other.

That's what Babcock did with Detroit years ago when he first arrived. Even Bordy makes smart little chip passes that aren't easy to make, and puts himself in great position to help his D men.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I think MacKinnon is the one he's impacted the most. I don't think he feels nearly as confident, upbeat, and focused on what he can do to be successful through the early part of the season, with another coach. He never seemed to stumble, get frustrated, or let his mistakes snowball. I think that's all Roy putting him in a great position to succeed, stressing all the positives, and bringing him along as well as possible.

I think Roy helped EJ and Barrie some, but I think the biggest contributor to the success of the D has been Tourigny and Foote. They've been successful because of their improvement on details. Roy giving them freedom to attack in the offensive zone has helped their confidence for sure though.

Staz, Dutchy, and Landy have been helped too, but I think that's a lot to do with themselves. The new style of play, an Patty's optimism definitely benefits them though.

In the end though I think Roy treated Mack like his own personal project and benefited all areas of his game in doing so. He easily could have had a much different season, and not have nearly as much confidence in his NHL game right now.

The sum of the parts is Roy's greatest success though. Getting the forwards to play as a tight five man group and always be in position in the neutral zone and their blueline, while still having a potent offensive game is his greatest success. Teaching the forwards how to support the D men and forwards in transition, and practicing the hell out of it is his other.

That's what Babcock did with Detroit years ago when he first arrived. Even Bordy makes smart little chip passes that aren't easy to make, and puts himself in great position to help his D men.

This isn't going to be a popular post. But Sacco had the team playing like a 5 man unit in their first season as well. They really did. And the forwards feasted off of turnovers much like we have this season. Obviously our team as a whole is better and more mature now. But really, Sacco DID have us playing well in his first season as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This isn't going to be a popular post. But Sacco had the team playing like a 5 man unit in their first season as well. They really did. And the forwards feasted off of turnovers much like we have this season. Obviously our team as a whole is better and more mature now. But really, Sacco DID have us playing well in his first season as well.

Gotta disagree. The neutral zone was a sieve under Sacco. Pretty much every game, the other team would just run up the ice putting the Avs on their heels and out of position. It pretty much through the Avs D to the wolves.

His whole tenure, Sacco had at least two (and sometimes all three) forecheckers aggressively attack the D men with the puck in the Avs offensive zone, and this left a huge gap between the forwards and D men, and gave the opposition plenty of freedom to rush up ice when they learned out to beat those first two forecheckers.

Under Roy, only one guy usually attacks the puck carrier unless there looks to be a turnover. The others rush back to form a very tight group of all five, and to be in position to clog passing lanes in the neutral zone, and play their version of the trap to force the puck towards the area where they can swarm and shut it down in the neutral zone.

Sacco may have wanted the team to play well defensively, but the stark contrast between the two is Sacco had no idea how to "teach" the young players to do this, and Roy may be one of the smartest and best "teachers" in the NHL, and I don't think that's really a homer statement. He's just that good at it. Tourigny as well. I think they're both very smart coaches.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What's amazing and sometimes really under-stated is not the impact Roy has had on the players but the impact he's had on the fan-base.

I could listen to him talk all-day long and not grow tired of it. He absolutely oozes passion for and knowledge of the game.

Absolutely agree. I was excited over the summer, that's why I came here. It wasn't because of some glory day revival because that's what the media was excited about but I was genuinely excited about this team. I never miss a Roy interview, they are all so interesting. Can't say that about any coach for any of my other teams.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Gotta disagree. The neutral zone was a sieve under Sacco. Pretty much every game, the other team would just run up the ice putting the Avs on their heels and out of position. It pretty much through the Avs D to the wolves.

His whole tenure, Sacco had at least two (and sometimes all three) forecheckers aggressively attack the D men with the puck in the Avs offensive zone, and this left a huge gap between the forwards and D men, and gave the opposition plenty of freedom to rush up ice when they learned out to beat those first two forecheckers.

Under Roy, only one guy usually attacks the puck carrier unless there looks to be a turnover. The others rush back to form a very tight group of all five, and to be in position to clog passing lanes in the neutral zone, and play their version of the trap to force the puck towards the area where they can swarm and shut it down in the neutral zone.

Sacco may have wanted the team to play well defensively, but the stark contrast between the two is Sacco had no idea how to "teach" the young players to do this, and Roy may be one of the smartest and best "teachers" in the NHL, and I don't think that's really a homer statement. He's just that good at it. Tourigny as well. I think they're both very smart coaches.

In the first season? When we made the playoffs? I don't remember it being that way at all actually. I am not talking about any other seasons. Just his first year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In the first season? When we made the playoffs? I don't remember it being that way at all actually. I am not talking about any other seasons. Just his first year.

I think the major difference the first year under Sacco was Anderson playing amazing in goal, rather than them playing like a tight knit group of five like they do now.

I don't remember thinking of them as a strong defensive team that first year under Sacco. I remember them being more a strong offensive team that took other teams by surprise, and once they caught on to the Avs style of play, they found all their holes easily exploitable.

They were definitely stronger defensively that first year under Sacco than the last, but I think that's a result of a lot of different things. Players had kind of lost confidence in themselves getting wins, and once they gave up a goal in games they kind of played like they expected to lose.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think the major difference the first year under Sacco was Anderson playing amazing in goal, rather than them playing like a tight knit group of five like they do now.

I don't remember thinking of them as a strong defensive team that first year under Sacco. I remember them being more a strong offensive team that took other teams by surprise, and once they caught on to the Avs style of play, they found all their holes easily exploitable.

They were definitely stronger defensively that first year under Sacco than the last, but I think that's a result of a lot of different things. Players had kind of lost confidence in themselves getting wins, and once they gave up a goal in games they kind of played like they expected to lose.

They got pinned in their own zone A LOT, but some of that was mitigated with a lot of guys blocking shots. That's why I can't stand some of the defensive zone play the Avs are doing the last few games--way too Sacco-esque.

I feel like this team is moving the puck out of the zone a lot more effectively and making some amazing pass plays, whereas that Sacco team was very dependent on turnovers in the neutral zone and the transition game to produce offense. I could be wrong though.

Incidentally, who was Liles' defensive partner that season? I remember the top pairing was Quincey-Hannan but I can't remember any of the other ones.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
They got pinned in their own zone A LOT, but some of that was mitigated with a lot of guys blocking shots. That's why I can't stand some of the defensive zone play the Avs are doing the last few games--way too Sacco-esque.

I feel like this team is moving the puck out of the zone a lot more effectively and making some amazing pass plays, whereas that Sacco team was very dependent on turnovers in the neutral zone and the transition game to produce offense. I could be wrong though.

Incidentally, who was Liles' defensive partner that season? I remember the top pairing was Quincey-Hannan but I can't remember any of the other ones.

That is exactly what it was in our first season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think that's the most understated thing by far about how Roy has turned around the Avs. Their breakout/puck support/passing is nothing short of amazing IMO. I said it earlier, but it's how Babckock turned the Wings into what they were at their peak. He had them practice the absolute hell out of those short little passes, and work work work on the skill it takes to do that, so that every player, no matter the natural talent could do it in their sleep.

It's not easy. Watching Bordy make really hard plays with little soft touches of the puck, and keep it on his stick blade and patiently wait till his teammate hits the open lane and make a great pass to him just outside his blueline is a testament to how much Roy makes everyone work at this. He's pretty good with the puck for a guy in his role, but he's stepped it up this year with his puck control, and that has to be due to Roy's practices.

Teams can't adjust to it either, it's given them success all year. Roy and his staff analyze the other team to find their weaknesses, and they know what will work and what won't. If you watch closely, their transition game has little tweaks in it depending on if they use the middle of the ice more, or the boards, or use stretch passes, or quick short passes, or east west passes before going up ice, or just all straight ahead. But it always involves really, really good passing, and the forwards knowing where to go to find open ice and make them selves open to support their teammates.

As for Liles, Sacco and Cloutier were kinda famous for shuffling guys all around. I can't remember who his main partner was that year. I think he probably spent time with Foote, and also guys like Hanan and Salei playing their off side.

That's what's really impressive about this team. They've been so good, they've had pretty much the same lines all year, forwards and D. Until now when injuries have shaken everything up. Makes it a bit worrisome heading into the playoffs. Even with PA coming back, he'll either be playing with Staz or MacKinnon/Mitchell, and he hasn't played much at all with them.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That is exactly what it was in our first season.

I think that was kinda the strategy for the entire Sacco campaign. That was the reason for the uber aggressive forecheck, to force turnovers.

When it worked it worked great, and really frustrated teams because they had no time to think. Once they learned how to adjust and make quick passes on the breakout, it was obvious it was too aggressive, and left the D out to dry when the opposition got the puck past their own blueline.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think that's the most understated thing by far about how Roy has turned around the Avs. Their breakout/puck support/passing is nothing short of amazing IMO. I said it earlier, but it's how Babckock turned the Wings into what they were at their peak. He had them practice the absolute hell out of those short little passes, and work work work on the skill it takes to do that, so that every player, no matter the natural talent could do it in their sleep.

It's not easy. Watching Bordy make really hard plays with little soft touches of the puck, and keep it on his stick blade and patiently wait till his teammate hits the open lane and make a great pass to him just outside his blueline is a testament to how much Roy makes everyone work at this. He's pretty good with the puck for a guy in his role, but he's stepped it up this year with his puck control, and that has to be due to Roy's practices.

Teams can't adjust to it either, it's given them success all year. Roy and his staff analyze the other team to find their weaknesses, and they know what will work and what won't. If you watch closely, their transition game has little tweaks in it depending on if they use the middle of the ice more, or the boards, or use stretch passes, or quick short passes, or east west passes before going up ice, or just all straight ahead. But it always involves really, really good passing, and the forwards knowing where to go to find open ice and make them selves open to support their teammates.

As for Liles, Sacco and Cloutier were kinda famous for shuffling guys all around. I can't remember who his main partner was that year. I think he probably spent time with Foote, and also guys like Hanan and Salei playing their off side.

That's what's really impressive about this team. They've been so good, they've had pretty much the same lines all year, forwards and D. Until now when injuries have shaken everything up. Makes it a bit worrisome heading into the playoffs. Even with PA coming back, he'll either be playing with Staz or MacKinnon/Mitchell, and he hasn't played much at all with them.

Good analysis.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5