What Players has Roy impacted the most?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It's night and day difference between Roy and Sacco, almost every single player has said it some point during the season. So, which players has Roy helped the most?

Here's my list:

Barrie - He had flashes of potential, but he would never be the impact player he is today. Lately his confidence level is through the roof, he's been so clutch. Still has quite a few defensive coverage breakdowns, but that will come in due time.

Duchene - Matt thrives in a positive environment, and having one of his idols coaching the team and the ideal system just made him so dynamic. Duchene would've developed eventually, but he wouldn't be the player he is this year without Roy.

Stastny - Remember the days (well more like years) when he was best known as Casper? I don't think i've heard that nickname all season. He's finally playing the way we all knew he could play, and honestly I think he wrote off the Avs until Roy came in.

Varlamov - We all knew he had the potential to be a great goalie, but it's night and day difference. A lot of it is at the hands of Allaire, but Roy did bring him in so that's why he's included.

Johnson - We've seen him play, 'nuff said.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Tyson Barrie he's had a legitimate impact on. Varly was more Allaire from what I understand. But the others? All he did (admittedly not easy) was implement a system that they could thrive in.

Duchy, Staz and EJ have always been this good (Duchy mostly during his lockout year) and Sacco just held them back.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Giggy's age is what his problem is. PAP was injured for a lot of the season, he had started to pull his **** together before the most recent injury. Next season(Assuming he's still here) is when we find out about PAP under Roy.

As for the Question, one has to think the two most obvious answers are EJ and Varly. Duchene, Barrie, and even Stastny were still playing pretty good hockey under Sacco. Duchene was a PPG last year, Barrie was on a ~30 point pace last season, and Stastny had been a ~55 point Center under Sacco.

EJ and Varly have both completely turned there games around. EJ went from a widely considered borderline #2/3 Dman into a Top #1 Dman with an Elite Defensive game and a quickly developing Offensive game. While Varly has become a Top 5 goalie in the league.

IMO its easily those 2.

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
Players need 2 main components in order to be successful: Talent and Mentality

You can't coach talent, but you can coach mentality, and those players who had talent, but little of the winning mentality, that's who Roy has impacted the most. They have already been mentioned several times.

Once the players get older, and learn mentality naturally through experience, then we'll see if Roy himself can transition from coaching a younger crowd, to orchestrating an older one.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Agree with what's been said. I might throw O'Reilly in there. He was on an upward trajectory but Roy putting him at LW with Duchene was a stroke of genius.

As the culture change and positive environment becomes less of a factor in the future I think we'll see Roy the strategist become to make more of an impact down the line. He's made a lot of insane lineup changes and decisions work out. Pull the goalie with 5 minutes to go, trade for a backup goalie and play Jiggy the next night, Barrie's first career SO attempt is a winner. Landy's 4th career attempt and first all year wins it, ect ect.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Definitely EJ. He's had some influence on Varly no doubt, but like others have said that's probably more Allaire. EJ's transformation has been stunning though. I remember when Hejda and EJ were paired together under Sacco they were an absolute disaster.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
IMO EJ and Stastny have completely turned their games around. Those 2 by far.

Varly is because of Allaire.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Really have to give it to EJ. He's looking like a former #1 overall. Playing awesome.

Dark horse vote for Landeskog too.

Jacques Trap*

EJ EJ EJ
ok I tried one EJ but it was too short!

I agree with this. Roy basically told him "don't worry about living up to expectations of being a #1 overall pick, putting up huge pts and just go out there and be the best defensemen you can be". The rest, as they say, is history.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Tyson Barrie he's had a legitimate impact on. Varly was more Allaire from what I understand. But the others? All he did (admittedly not easy) was implement a system that they could thrive in.

Duchy, Staz and EJ have always been this good (Duchy mostly during his lockout year) and Sacco just held them back.

Disagree.

Stastny has always been decent, but not to this extent. We haven't seen him play with this type of passion for awhile.

EJ wasn't the same either. He had flashes of his potential, but he never had enough consistency.

Yes, the talent was always there and Sacco did hold them back, but I also don't think they'd be playing this well under most coaches.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
All of our defensemen look better mostly because Roy allows them to play to their strengths, he's not forcing them to dump it in all the time like Sacco did when he was channeling his inner Punch Imlach.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Easily Johnson.

Varly and Barrie have improved a great deal, but I attribute Varly's success to being coached by Giguere and Barrie's success mostly to his development curve.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I agree with all the names in the OP aside from Duchene, who I think would be playing at this level under anyone else.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It's night and day difference between Roy and Sacco, almost every single player has said it some point during the season. So, which players has Roy helped the most?

Here's my list:

Barrie - He had flashes of potential, but he would never be the impact player he is today. Lately his confidence level is through the roof, he's been so clutch. Still has quite a few defensive coverage breakdowns, but that will come in due time.

Duchene - Matt thrives in a positive environment, and having one of his idols coaching the team and the ideal system just made him so dynamic. Duchene would've developed eventually, but he wouldn't be the player he is this year without Roy.

Stastny - Remember the days (well more like years) when he was best known as Casper? I don't think i've heard that nickname all season. He's finally playing the way we all knew he could play, and honestly I think he wrote off the Avs until Roy came in.

Varlamov - We all knew he had the potential to be a great goalie, but it's night and day difference. A lot of it is at the hands of Allaire, but Roy did bring him in so that's why he's included.

Johnson - We've seen him play, 'nuff said.

Erik Johnson, without a doubt. Varlamov (though that may be more Allaire).

Guenin/Holden also. No, they're not great at times, but they weren't even real NHL players before playing for Roy.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Pretty much everyone - Wilson and Parenteau(both had injury issues though).

The most? EJ. He looks like legit #1 defenseman. So much confidence. I would say EJ and Varlamov the biggest difference, but Stastny is close as well. Compared to last season you could also say Landeskog. He's been fantastic with Stastny.

Anyway, the most he probably got out of Sarich/Benoit/Guenin/Holden, fringe NHLers(at this point) or AHL journeymen. That's unbelievable what he got out of them. I think Barrie looked fantastic last season already. He was game in game out one of our best defenseman offensively. It was only matter of time before he cracks the roster for good.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
I'll actually go with what most people haven't said. I think he's helped Holden the most. Holden was signed to a minimum contract, expected to be an AHL journeyman. He looked good in camp but still not good enough to crack the lineup. Even when he did crack the lineup, it was as a forward. When he finally played D, he looked sloppy. Roy gave him every chance to prove himself and has set him up for success by giving him the powerplay opportunities and the freedom to jump on the rush. I know fans on HF were high on him after training camp but I doubt anyone would've said he'd have 9 goals and be playing 20 minutes a night at this point. He's almost at a .5 ppg pace and I'd argue that he's been our 4th best defender.

As far as our more talented players go, I think he's had the biggest impact on Varly. Without Roy we have no Allaire and without Allaire, I think Varly continues his inconsistency from the past because he just relied so heavily on athleticism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad