What players from outside the NCAA will make the U.S. WJC Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Aaron Vickers said:
I will take the unpopular route and disagree with Mr. Mckenzie. I've talked with Thelen, and this truly seems something that he wants to add to his repertoire.

After being snubbed (and I use the term loosely), Thelen seems as though he desperately wants to be in camp. In talking with him, Thelen wants nothing more than to represent the United States in this tournament.

Whether or not his talent will lead him there will be debatable; however, I think that his season in the Western league this season has spoken for itself, and should warrant a mention to the United States selection camp.

Once he hits camp, he'll show why he deserves to be on the club.

There is no other camp. Unlike Canada, the US just picks its team. The only camp that that US held was back in early August in Lake Placid .Apparently Thelan did not have a great showing there. Although Thelan may really want to be on this team I just don't see it happening.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
Ranger or anyone else,

Tell me a little bit about Chris Butler and Geoff Paukovich. I haven't seen Denver play this year. I saw Paukovich when he was with the U-18 team and was never blown away. Ranger, I know you've posted some things about Butler, what type of player is he, strengths/weaknesses???

Paukovich is a project IMO. He's huge, is a decent skater, has good hands, and is defensively responsible. Similar to Brad Winchester really, although a bit further along in his development at the same age. Butler is a guy I really like. Not flashy, but a rock on the blueline with just enough offensive ability to be dangerous. He'd be a nice guy to have on the U.S. WJC Team, but I doubt he'll make it.

Last edited:

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Paukovich is a project IMO. He's huge, is a decent skater, has good hands, and is defensively responsible. Similar to Brad Winchester really, although a bit further along in his development at the same age. Butler is a guy I really like. Not flashy, but a rock on the blueline with just enough offensive ability to be dangerous. He's be a nice guy to have on the U.S. WJC Team, but I doubt he'll make it.

I've heard rumors that both Paukovich and Butler are in. I was really suprised to hear this. I've never seen Butler and it sounds like he won't hurt the US team but I have seen Paukovich and I agree - project. The US is WAY to loaded up front to be taking "projects." I can't see him being better than Weller and I think that they'd play similar roles on this team. Hopefully only one makes it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
I've heard rumors that both Paukovich and Butler are in. I was really suprised to hear this. I've never seen Butler and it sounds like he won't hurt the US team but I have seen Paukovich and I agree - project. The US is WAY to loaded up front to be taking "projects." I can't see him being better than Weller and I think that they'd play similar roles on this team. Hopefully only one makes it.

If you've seen Paukovich then you've seen Butler, as they play on the same team (unless we're talking prior to playing for Denver). I wouldn't be surprised to see Butler make it ahead of a guy like Thelen or even Lashoff. He's VERY solid in his own end and has put up more points (9) then I had thought. I don't really have a problem with both Paukovich and Weller making it to be honest. Put them on the 4th line and give them PK duties. They would be great in that role.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
If you've seen Paukovich then you've seen Butler, as they play on the same team (unless we're talking prior to playing for Denver). I wouldn't be surprised to see Butler make it ahead of a guy like Thelen or even Lashoff. He's VERY solid in his own end and has put up more points (9) then I had thought. I don't really have a problem with both Paukovich and Weller making it to be honest. Put them on the 4th line and give them PK duties. They would be great in that role.

The last time I saw Paukovich was with the U-18 team. I'll take your word on Butler. I don't think Thelan will be there but I've seen Lashoff this year and I like him. He's a good skater, handles the puck well and can play the pp and pk. He's got good size although he's not really that physical. The problem that I have with taking two guys like Paukovich and Weller is that its nice to have someone with their attributes but I think you only need one of them, anything more takes away from other roles you could fill. I'd rather see them take T.J. Oshie who flys, he can center your fourth line and his speed would be awesome on the penalty kill. I also think I'd rather have Gerbe than both the big guys. I've seen Gerbe play alot and every game he creates something with his tenacity.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:

Haven't heard Mitera's name thrown around much.

;)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BobMckenzie said:
Haven't heard Mitera's name thrown around much.

;)

Should it be? ;)

I like Mitera as well. He's another safety cog style defenseman with enough finesse to not look out of place in a skilled line-up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him either.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
I've also heard that Butler and Paukovich may be on the team. Having watched both this season, I wouldn't be surprised by it.

Butler is having a fine rookie campaign with Denver, and he's contributing more offensively than I ever expected, as he's more of a stay-at-home guy that gets better each week. He makes smart plays and logs a lot of ice time for the defending champs, and is developing well ahead of where I thought he'd be.

Paukovich is more of a puzzle. He's not scoring at all this year, but his skating has improved a ton and he's a enormous hitter, which is something Team USA would need on the small ice in Canada for this WJC. He would never make it if the tourney were in Europe, but Kyle needs some size up front and Paukovich can bang with the best of them. If he does make it, all I expect Kyle would want him to do is bang people in the corners and create space on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad