What players from outside the NCAA will make the U.S. WJC Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transported Upstater

Rabid Ranger said:
Here's my list:

Mike Sauer
Bobby Ryan
Rob Schremp
Adam Pineault
Matt Lashoff
A.J. Thelen
Brandon Dubinsky
Peter Mueller
Keith Yandle
Chris Bourque

Yandle has been fabulous in Moncton at both ends of the rink. I am really impressed with him, and I think Phoenix got a steal.

espo*

That's a big list.I can't remember a U.S team having so many CHL guys.This would have to be a record number.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
That's a big list.I can't remember a U.S team having so many CHL guys.This would have to be a record number.

It would be a record number. If the U.S. brass has any sort of integrity, these are the players that should be selected.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
It would be a record number. If the U.S. brass has any sort of integrity, these are the players that should be selected.
are you thinking politics may play a part? I know it has for team Canada in the past.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
are you thinking politics may play a part? I know it has for team Canada in the past.

Yes, politics does play a part, although I don't know if it can be categorized as a NCAA vs CHL issue.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
Yes, politics does play a part, although I don't know if it can be categorized as a NCAA vs CHL issue.
I'd say it's been categorized as that up here before from time to time.if it's not that down there,what is it?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
I'd say it's been categorized as that up here before from time to time.if it's not that down there,what is it?

There's several issues at work, one of which is the CHL vs NCAA issue. Look at the Jack Johnson situation last year, that was politics as well.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
There's several issues at work, one of which is the CHL vs NCAA issue. Look at the Jack Johnson situation last year, that was politics as well.

I don't know if I'd categorize that as politics.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Matt MacInnis said:
I don't know if I'd categorize that as politics.

How would you categorize it? There were competing factions within USA Hockey, and a certain one won out. I call that politics.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
With Walt Kyle at the helm, I am convinced there will be no politics. He'll take the best players no matter where they're from. I'm convinced of that.

espo*

BobMckenzie said:
With Walt Kyle at the helm, I am convinced there will be no politics. He'll take the best players no matter where they're from. I'm convinced of that.
That's too bad Bob.Because with the strength of the team they could potentially assemble,i would'nt mind seeing them make a few "mistakes" shall we say.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Here's my list:

Mike Sauer
Bobby Ryan
Rob Schremp
Adam Pineault
Matt Lashoff
A.J. Thelen
Brandon Dubinsky
Peter Mueller
Keith Yandle
Chris Bourque

I think that this years team will have more non-ncaa'ers than usual. Bourque, Ryan, Schremp, Pineault and Lashoff are locks. I also think Mueller and Yandle will make the team. I think Sauer has a shot. I really think Thelan and Dubinsky are long shots.

The US team has to announce the team soon. My guess is Monday. Here is what my final roster would look like. I feel alot stronger about my forward picks than my d-men.

Forwards:
Kessel
Porter
Schremp
Bourque
Pineault
Weller
Ryan
Fritsche
Skille
Wheeler
Oshie
Gerbe
Mueller

Defensemen:
Lee
J.Johnson
Lashoff
Chorney
Yandle
Sauer
E.Johnson

(Hagemo would if he wasn't hurt)

Goalies:
Schneider
Frazee

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
How would you categorize it? There were competing factions within USA Hockey, and a certain one won out. I call that politics.

I was told it was a personality conflict.

Hockeycanada*

BobMckenzie said:
I agree Bob. He does a lot of recruiting in Canada and I'm sure he has a lot of repect for the Canadian junior leagues and politics shouldn't be much of a factor.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Spectacular_Bid said:
I think that this years team will have more non-ncaa'ers than usual. Bourque, Ryan, Schremp, Pineault and Lashoff are locks. I also think Mueller and Yandle will make the team. I think Sauer has a shot. I really think Thelan and Dubinsky are long shots.

The US team has to announce the team soon. My guess is Monday. Here is what my final roster would look like. I feel alot stronger about my forward picks than my d-men.

Forwards:
Kessel
Porter
Schremp
Bourque
Pineault
Weller
Ryan
Fritsche
Skille
Wheeler
Oshie
Gerbe
Mueller

Defensemen:
Lee
J.Johnson
Lashoff
Chorney
Yandle
Sauer
E.Johnson

(Hagemo would if he wasn't hurt)

Goalies:
Schneider
Frazee

I like Niskanen for a spot on the blueline and don't believe, as do some, that Thelen and Lashoff will necessarily be there. Up front, just because guys like Pineault and Weller were on the team last year doesn't necessarily mean they'll make it this year. Aside from that, I would guess this list is very close to what the team will be. Good list. Official announcement is Monday morning, by the way.

Transported Upstater

BobMckenzie said:
I like Niskanen for a spot on the blueline and don't believe, as do some, that Thelen and Lashoff will necessarily be there. Up front, just because guys like Pineault and Weller were on the team last year doesn't necessarily mean they'll make it this year. Aside from that, I would guess this list is very close to what the team will be. Good list. Official announcement is Monday morning, by the way.

I do not believe Thelen will be there.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
what about jordan lavallee, i know he's injured but could he make that team?

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
Bob i think u might be right on this one! I see Nisk as a dark horse to make the team. I feel the brass will make the right moves this year. Last year I feel they left Lee out to hang. I really think with hago out that Nisk could make this team. I m a Sioux fan but i have been inpressed with Matt. Also I think Lee could run the pp this year in the point. I really think Lee and Johnson will make the best pp combo in the tourney!

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
Also i think Thelen is overated he did nothing in the ccha! I think there is better kids for this team.

I shouldnt say that he had a good freshmen year, but after that he showed me nothing. I still think he will not be part of this team.

Last edited:

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
I will take the unpopular route and disagree with Mr. Mckenzie. I've talked with Thelen, and this truly seems something that he wants to add to his repertoire.

After being snubbed (and I use the term loosely), Thelen seems as though he desperately wants to be in camp. In talking with him, Thelen wants nothing more than to represent the United States in this tournament.

Whether or not his talent will lead him there will be debatable; however, I think that his season in the Western league this season has spoken for itself, and should warrant a mention to the United States selection camp.

Once he hits camp, he'll show why he deserves to be on the club.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Ranger or anyone else,

Tell me a little bit about Chris Butler and Geoff Paukovich. I haven't seen Denver play this year. I saw Paukovich when he was with the U-18 team and was never blown away. Ranger, I know you've posted some things about Butler, what type of player is he, strengths/weaknesses???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad