What player's defensive reputation do you find overrated?

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
How is it possible for only a small handful overzealous fans to establish any players reputation? Matthews looks pretty solid defensively this year but the selke will likely forever be Bergerons to loose as long as he's playing at a high level.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The fact that people keep saying Matthews shows you how much unfounded hate people have for the Leafs on here.

He may not win a Selke this year, but he will get consideration for the award for many years to come

I posted a large explanation of why Matthews is very good defensively and not a single person has been able to respond with any kind of analysis to counter that, they just keep posting his name
Matthews' defensive metrics are barely better than Eichel's and I don't see anyone calling Jack a defensive wiz (because he is far from it).

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Larsson
Santini
Fowler
E Johnson
Seabrook
Provorov

Those are some of the defenseman I think of

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think a lot of young defenders get a bit overrated on this (guys like Slavin, Provorov). Not to say they aren't great in their own right, but defense is one of those positions where I think it's really hard to be elite defensively without enough experience. From my viewings they both have significant strengths, but they're not in that top echelon of defenders yet.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
As for the Selke, look I am not a fan of +/- to say the least but I am willing to bet that a lot of the guys that have votes on the Selke do look at +/- and right now Matthews leads the NHL in +/- while being tied for 3rd in the league in scoring if he keeps that up he is going to get votes

No they don't. If the voters gave any real weight on +-, Koivu would've been a landslide winner of last year's Selke with +27 against Bergeron's +12.

But they don't, and rightfully so.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
No they don't. If the voters gave any real weight on +-, Koivu would've been a landslide winner of last year's Selke with +27 against Bergeron's +12.

But they don't, and rightfully so.
He said they looked at it, not that it's the be all end all.

Koivu finished 3rd and had 28 first place votes, you're joking yourself if you think voters don't look at it.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
He said they looked at it, not that it's the be all end all.

Koivu finished 3rd and had 28 first place votes, you're joking yourself if you think voters don't look at it.

I'm not joking. They don't look at it. Koivu, Kesler and Bergeron were pretty even in lot of statistics that were waved around here on HFboards too. Bergeron was the most popular vote simply because he is Bergeron. Not saying undeserving, he had an edge due to being a possession monster, but his statistics compared to Kesler and Koivu weren't off the charts and yet Koivu finished third despite having the best +- of the three by a long shot.

Let me summarize: Koivu being top 3 in Selke voting had absolutely nothing to do with his +-.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I'm not joking. They don't look at it. Koivu, Kesler and Bergeron were pretty even in lot of statistics that were waved around here on HFboards too. Bergeron was the most popular vote simply because he is Bergeron. Not saying undeserving, he had an edge due to being a possession monster, but his statistics compared to Kesler and Koivu weren't off the charts and yet Koivu finished third despite having the best +- of the three by a long shot.

Let me summarize: Koivu being top 3 in Selke voting had absolutely nothing to do with his +-.

I'm sorry, but what kind of evidence do you have that can prove a group of 100+ voters don't use one of the most accessible "defense" stat? Some probably don't, but I'd imagine a lot of them do look at it with a lot of other information.

Not saying I agree with them using it, I think +/- is pretty much useless, other than in some instances. I just don't agree that some of the PHWA don't look at it.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I'm sorry, but what kind of evidence do you have that can prove a group of 100+ voters don't use one of the most accessible "defense" stat? Some probably don't, but I'd imagine a lot of them do look at it with a lot of other information.

Not saying I agree with them using it, I think +/- is pretty much useless, other than in some instances. I just don't agree that some of the PHWA don't look at it.

I don't know what else I can do for you, other than to point out the fact that +- had pretty much zero impact last season's Selke voting, considering how tight of a race it was between the top 3.

Just take a look at last year's +- top 10 or top 20 forwards and see how many players you can locate from Selke voting's top 20 or top 30.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
HFboards has been nothing short of insanely wrong on everything about Matthews. Be wary about making these claims.

Which claim would be wrong? Statistically, the Leafs are a terrible defensive team. My comment on him being overrated was more to do with this board then stating it as fact because Leaf fans always tell us how good he is and how he is the best. So yes on these boards he is pretty overrated.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
I opened this thread to hopefully see some proper discussion on defensive players. Then I see Matthews and Bergeron being called overrated defensively. Bergeron is the best defensive forward and it's not close.l yet. Matthews is looking like he's on his way.

Are people even trying to be objective any more?

Reactions: IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I opened this thread to hopefully see some proper discussion on defensive players. Then I see Matthews and Bergeron being called overrated defensively. Bergeron is the best defensive forward and it's not close.l yet. Matthews is looking like he's on his way.

Are people even trying to be objective any more?
It's literally nothing but straight agenda-pushing nowadays. Objective discussion has been dead on HFBoards for awhile now.

Nowadays, you draw your conclusion and cherry-pick everything possible to fit it .

Reactions: DriveFor9th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad