What player disappointed you the most this season?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
lol i gotta admit, after reading the title and opening the thread, i really didnt expect willy to be the answer to the first post lol

if starting your career with back to back 60 point seasons is disappointing, then dam theres a lot of disappoints

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Talbot for me. We simply needed better and he cost us more games than he stole.

That said not having a capable backup hurt as did Klefbom playing hurt and Sekera missing as much time as he did.

Lucic was disappointing. Klefbom was disappointing. But Vezina candidate to sub-average hurt the most.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Entire Oilers team outside of McDavid/Draistl, couple of 3rd liners and a bunch of AHL scrubs surround him.

Nugent Hopkins and Nurse were very good this year and Larsson had some off-ice stuff going on. I’m more disappointed in Chia than anyone on the ice. He didn’t make a single upgrade on the 16-17 roster despite having the short term cap space to do so. He downgraded pretty much everywhere and didn’t even fill the spots of injured players adequately.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
As a Jets fan I gotta go with Ehlers or Trouba...

Let’s start with Ehlers, his regular season point totals where slightly disappointing(60pts) but his lack of PP time and overall even strength minutes didn’t help, that said his pts/60 and especially his pts/60 5v5 where amazing. But what I’m most disappointed in is his abysmal lack of scoring in the playoffs. Going forward a better Centerman(who can score or make plays) for most the season, more minutes 5v5 and on the powerplay should really bump those numbers and play up.

Trouba, pretty much the same thing for Trouba as for Ehlers, lack of PP and ES time because of Buffs offensive talents. Also was pretty bad offensively in the playoffs. Just like Ehlers it should be fixable as his scoring analytics where great just his minutes in scoring opportunities where limited, that said he was excellent defensively for nearly all season(I still hope he rounds out at a 40-50pt D-man who can play good defence, just gotta hope he gets more minutes for that as well and it will be possible).

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
As a Jets fan I gotta go with Ehlers or Trouba...

Let’s start with Ehlers, his regular season point totals where slightly disappointing(60pts) but his lack of PP time and overall even strength minutes didn’t help, that said his pts/60 and especially his pts/60 5v5 where amazing. But what I’m most disappointed in is his abysmal lack of scoring in the playoffs. Going forward a better Centerman(who can score or make plays) for most the season, more minutes 5v5 and on the powerplay should really bump those numbers and play up.

Trouba, pretty much the same thing for Trouba as for Ehlers, lack of PP and ES time because of Buffs offensive talents. Also was pretty bad offensively in the playoffs. Just like Ehlers it should be fixable as his scoring analytics where great just his minutes in scoring opportunities where limited, that said he was excellent defensively for nearly all season(I still hope he rounds out at a 40-50pt D-man who can play good defence, just gotta hope he gets more minutes for that as well and it will be possible).
I definitely agree with Ehlers.

Wouldn't shock me if the Jets management explores the possibility of trading him. He doesn't play their tough physical brand of hockey and he's wildly inconsistent. Nothing wrong with capitalizing on his remaining value.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'd say Klefbom and Letang. Thought the former would be poised for a big breakout, and the latter is just not the same anymore.

It's not that he didn't play well, I just had higher expectations for him. When Matthews got hurt, Nylander couldn't carry a line. I always compared him to marner, and marner really outplayed him
I don't blame you, I had higher expectations too. I thought he was poised to explode, but it didn't really happen.

It's important to note that Nylander actually outperformed what Matthews did with the same wingers and the same usage though. Just some context, since your disappointment centered on that. It's hard to produce offensively with wingers like Brown and Hyman, not to mention knowing that you'll be judged mostly on how you handle yourself defensively going up against guys like Malkin. The edge Marner has is mostly on the PP, where the first unit was ridiculously lethal and the second unit was dysfunctional and the puck carrier was easily isolated.

There's a good discussion on the Leafs board on the topic if you want to read the arguments from both sides.

Reactions: CromLeafsFan

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
I'd say Klefbom and Letang. Thought the former would be poised for a big breakout, and the latter is just not the same anymore.

I don't blame you, I had higher expectations too. I thought he was poised to explode, but it didn't really happen.

It's important to note that Nylander actually outperformed what Matthews did with the same wingers and the same usage though. Just some context, since your disappointment centered on that. It's hard to produce offensively with wingers like Brown and Hyman, not to mention knowing that you'll be judged mostly on how you handle yourself defensively going up against guys like Malkin. The edge Marner has is mostly on the PP, where the first unit was ridiculously lethal and the second unit was dysfunctional and the puck carrier was easily isolated.

There's a good discussion on the Leafs board on the topic if you want to read the arguments from both sides.
I know what you mean with Brown and Hyman, but Marner also makes plays at even strength which is what really separates him from Willy, IMO. I feel like Nylander is still afraid of corners and the bump and grind style a lot of the West plays. Marner doesn't shy away and fights in corners

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
lol i gotta admit, after reading the title and opening the thread, i really didnt expect willy to be the answer to the first post lol

if starting your career with back to back 60 point seasons is disappointing, then dam theres a lot of disappoints
It's not that he's a bad player, I just had expectations similar to Marner for Willy. I still love Nylander, he just didn't improve that much from his rookie season

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I know what you mean with Brown and Hyman, but Marner also makes plays at even strength which is what really separates him from Willy, IMO. I feel like Nylander is still afraid of corners and the bump and grind style a lot of the West plays. Marner doesn't shy away and fights in corners
Well, if you look at even strength, Nylander has the much better production and things like the Passing Project, that targets individual playmaking, have him actually outperforming Marner at even strength in both quantity and quality there. Marner is better at finding players from down low, something that is a bit of a weak spot for Willy.

Any way, I don't think this is the place for an at length discussion on the strengths and flaws of Willy.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Fredrik Andersen. He talked a lot about team accountability when the rest of the team played poorly yet avoided the culpa mia when he sucked in the playoffs.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Nugent Hopkins and Nurse were very good this year and Larsson had some off-ice stuff going on. I’m more disappointed in Chia than anyone on the ice. He didn’t make a single upgrade on the 16-17 roster despite having the short term cap space to do so. He downgraded pretty much everywhere and didn’t even fill the spots of injured players adequately.

Nurse was great the first half. Fell off pretty hard in the second half.
RNH was solid despite the injury.

After that there's about a 15 way tie for most disappointing.

I think expectations should be drastically lowered for the Oilers next year. McDavid is awesome but after that it's just not a good hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad