What Number Defenseman is Ryan Lindgren?

What Number Defenseman is Ryan Lindgren?

• Total voters

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I voted 4. Good guy to have on your second pairing, ideally as the supporting guy on that pairing though.
When he’s away from Fox he carries every pairing he’s on. I’d say he’s a solid 3D right now with potential to be a 2D if his offense improves. I get why people would be hesitant to call him a 3D but he was better on the PK than Fox and is the best body checker on our team along with Trouba. Needs more time to prove himself though but he’s Girardi 2.0

There definitely aren’t 96 better defenseman than him, if even 60 realistically

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
When he’s away from Fox he carries every pairing he’s on. I’d say he’s a solid 3D right now with potential to be a 2D if his offense improves. I get why people would be hesitant to call him a 3D but he was better on the PK than Fox and is the best body checker on our team along with Trouba. Needs more time to prove himself though but he’s Girardi 2.0

There definitely aren’t 96 better defenseman than him, if even 60 realistically

Dude has barely even played apart from Fox in his 2 seasons. How can you carry a pairing when it’s just random spot duty?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Dude has barely even played apart from Fox in his 2 seasons. How can you carry a pairing when it’s just random spot duty?
That’s what I mean by he has to prove it more but whenever he has played away from Fox he’s looked the same and carries his pairing. Fox is elite defensively but gets to be elite offensively at the same time because he has Lindgren there to cover for him. Hajek was paired with Fox for like 5 games last season and it was a disaster

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He seems like an excellent supporting partner for a #1 or #2. Whether that makes him a 3 or 4 it’s hard to say, as he doesn’t have a long track record or much time away from Fox. I’m not sure it really matters though. A lot of defensemen who aren’t stars can have their play affected heavily by system, partner and fit. He can play high leverage minutes with Fox on a great pairing. That’s all that should matter to the Rangers.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Hes a 3/4 defender that has tremendous chemistry with the reigning Norris Trophy winning #1 Defenceman on the NYR so that makes him a No. 2 D

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
No it doesn't. Unless you're talking about role.

Since he's not playing for any other team any time soon, I can only tell you what he is on the NYR.

Hes going to match Fox ES minutes without any concern from the coach.

Hes going to log a ton of PK minutes as well.

He doesnt carry the offensive acumen that others may carry, but he is comfortably put out there in situations where you need to protect a lead or score a goal as again his chemistry with Fox is undeniable which allows the more gifted player to play to his strengths.

I'd like to hear what folks think the definition of a #2 looks like?

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Since he's not playing for any other team any time soon, I can only tell you what he is on the NYR.

He doesnt carry the offensive acumen that others may carry, but he is comfortably put out there in situations where you need to protect a lead or score a goal as again his chemistry with Fox is undeniable which allows the more gifted player to play to his strengths.

Ryan Graves played with Cale Makar, does that make him a #2D?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Ryan Graves played with Cale Makar, does that make him a #2D?

Context matters.

This is the 3rd year Lindgren/Fox is a pairing.

And Lindgren is not getting traded anytime soon.

Graves is what he is, a 5/7 defender that got played out of position and when it was clear of what he was, he was moved.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Context matters.

This is the 3rd year Lindgren/Fox is a pairing.

And Lindgren is not getting traded anytime soon.

Graves is what he is, a 5/7 defender that got played out of position and when it was clear of what he was, he was moved.
So they played one more game as a pairing than Makar and Graves is what you're saying, yet Graves is a #5 and Lindgren far higher. Terrific logic.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
So they played one more game as a pairing than Makar and Graves is what you're saying, yet Graves is a #5 and Lindgren far higher. Terrific logic.

Whe you're right, you're right.

Let's move on from Graves when you have the likes of Ryan Murray and Kurtis MacDermid holding down the fort for the bottom pairing.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Whe you're right, you're right.

Let's move on from Graves when you have the likes of Ryan Murray and Kurtis MacDermid holding down the fort for the bottom pairing.
Left side of the Avs defense is Toews, Byram and Girard. MacDermid plays a as forward. But do continue.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would say he's between a 2 and a 3. I think people in this thread are underrating his ability.

I've been advocating for awhile now to split up him and Fox because I just think it's a waste of resources.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, don't underestimate the value of a guy who can be a quality partner.

Not mentioning any names but I seem to remember another excellent Rangers defenseman who got taken to the sixth circle of Hell by his partner.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Was Bogosian a #2 when playing with Hedman? Of course not. That's not how it works.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He seems like an excellent supporting partner for a #1 or #2. Whether that makes him a 3 or 4 it’s hard to say, as he doesn’t have a long track record or much time away from Fox. I’m not sure it really matters though. A lot of defensemen who aren’t stars can have their play affected heavily by system, partner and fit. He can play high leverage minutes with Fox on a great pairing. That’s all that should matter to the Rangers.

Bingo. He is an ideal support guy for a high end D. If he is the best guy on a pairing, its not a pairing I'm excited about... but I'm not saying he couldn't do it either.

As a Bruins fan, its annoying they let him go in the Nash trade because they had Lauzon in the system... and then lost Lauzon to Seattle...

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Top 3D who can play almost flawlessly on a top pair against top players when paired with an elite dman (fox).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad