What NHL player name did you always say wrong and were corrected by someone???

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Former goalie Cristobal Huet. Always pronounced it like it sounds in Swiss German which literally translates to the word hat. Only when I noticed my brother laughing at me I started to pronounce it the French way.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I used to pronounce Kovalchuk "Kovalchook".

Rh3aoKe.png
Lmao, I remember watching the NESN feed last year for a Leafs/Bruins game and Edwards kept calling Soshnikov "Sosh-knee-kov".

Either I'm incapable of pronouncing Borowiecki or the announcers are. It's probably me.
I personally pronounce it "Boro-we-etzky"

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
No one in North America pronounces Nyqvist's name correctly. Or any Swedish player that has an å in their name.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
For almost a year I thought Toews was pronounced like "Taze" and when I heard broadcasts I thought I was right on my first try because I just never caught the "v" sound. Knowing it's a German name like my own I should've expected it.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
I thought peter, Taggli, and eddy were three different players always together!

SoCalFan

Jun 21, 2014
McKinney, TX
For almost a year I thought Toews was pronounced like "Taze" and when I heard broadcasts I thought I was right on my first try because I just never caught the "v" sound. Knowing it's a German name like my own I should've expected it.
his name makes me nuts. my last name has the "oe" in it as well, but we pronounce as long O. every time I see Toews' name in print, I pronounce it long O in my head. when speaking it, I have to consciously think about pronouncing it as "taves" and I stutter.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
haha. not a hockey player but a funny story.

I had a friend in university who was in engineering. the vast majority of her classmates in one class (an engineering math class) were asian. as was the professor. first day he was doing roll call. going through all these Chinese names, he rang them off like nothing. he gets to her name, and struggles to get it out. "Jaaaaaaaa neh. Browwwwww neh". her name is jane brown. he barely got it out.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Both Johnathan Toews and Travis Zajac are from Winnipeg, and both of those last names are pretty common here. I know many people with both of those last names. They all pronounce it the way you hear it in the NHL. I guess the ethnic pronunciation of their names changed over the years after their families moved to Canada as has happened with many, if not most, last names in Canada and the US.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
As someone originally from Québec, I assume all of the names which are Francophone are meant to be pronounced the French way, but then the players themselves pronounce it the English way. First name that comes to mind is Gaudreau, people pronounce it "goo-droh" all the time so I guess I am the one saying it wrong? :laugh:

(For those interested, it's because a lot of Francophones immigrated to the States after they became independent, so some French names are pretty common in the States)

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
I used to say zibanejad like “zee-barnyard” but i still like him.

I still pronounce the first S in Desharnais.

I still refrain from correcting people when they butcher a name I know.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
As someone originally from Québec, I assume all of the names which are Francophone are meant to be pronounced the French way, but then the players themselves pronounce it the English way. First name that comes to mind is Gaudreau, people pronounce it "goo-droh" all the time so I guess I am the one saying it wrong? :laugh:

(For those interested, it's because a lot of Francophones immigrated to the States after they became independent, so some French names are pretty common in the States)

I’m not French but I am Canadian. The first time I heard “ GooDrow “, I did a double take and kinda chuckled. I’ve never heard it pronounced like that before.

Reactions: TychoFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad