What NHL player name did you always say wrong and were corrected by someone???

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
A guy I worked with, instead of calling him Scott Hannan, he always called him Scott Hannah(back when he was worth talking about)... drove me nuts and I finally had to break that awkwardness of correcting him and bit the bullet and did it...

Also a friend of mine thought Patrick Wiercioch's name was Peter Wiercioch like all of last year... drove me nuts

I know there are the usual Zid-lishky, Kopeshky etc etc type names that people pronounce wrong every day....

but Im looking for those guys that you were just a bonehead and said his name completely wrong and felt like a complete tool.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
My mispronunciation of David Pastrnak's last name didn't last long. I trust Jack Edwards more than Billy Joel. For all the hate Edwards gets, he really does do a lot of research, knows his hockey, and takes great care and pride in his ability to get the names right, both in terms of knowing who's who on the ice and in terms of pronouncing them. He actually posted a video to Twitter of Pastrnak saying his name.

It's not "past"-ur-knack like "in the past". The "past" is pronounced like the first syllable of the non-over-Italianized pronunciation of "pasta".

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
For a long time for some reason I would always flip letters and say Le-cla-vee-ay for Lecavalier, instead of Le-ca-val-yay.

I know it is similar for people saying Hjalmarsson's name (even for broadcasters), where they also flip letters and will say Jarl-muh-son.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I like how it's not Wiercioch your friend gets wrong, it's Patrick.

I used to add an "L" to Malhotra for the longest time, like Malholtra

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
drives me mental when people call Rick Nash.... Steve Nash.

like I understand why they do, but cmon

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I like how it's not Wiercioch your friend gets wrong, it's Patrick.

I used to add an "L" to Malhotra for the longest time, like Malholtra

haha I know... weirdest last name ever, yet its the first name he gets mixed up with

longchange

Feb 18, 2012
Growing up I used to say Peter Tagli-and-Eddie instead of Peter Taglianetti. I forget who corrected me, I may have just realized it on my own.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i hated when people called mior Satan miro Sha-tan, its Satan like the dark lord and no one can tell me otherwise

its a tragedy he wasnt drafted and career player for the devils

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Sakic, I always pronounced the last part like the "ic" in Lucic.

I kinda have a hard time pronouncing German names of non-German players the North-American way, like Braun or Eichel for a example. Same with Polish names, it just feels so wrong. :D

Dec 19, 2008
NoVA
Sakic, I always pronounced the last part like the "ic" in Lucic.

I kinda have a hard time pronouncing German names of non-German players the North-American way, like Braun for a example. Same with Polish names, it just feels so wrong. :D

My wife's maiden name is Seubert. It drives my In laws crazy when I pronounce it the American way. Always fun....

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Rh3aoKe.png

Reactions: Cambodian Fouler

GadKing

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
I would pronounce the whole Dustin Bee-Foo-Glee-Enn before I watched a game with him in it. Started wondering who the hell Dustin Buff-len was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad