What Needs to Happen This Offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think we need to ask if coaching really is the problem. No doubt we have improved but often this team looks the exact same as when Sacco was coaching.

Coaching is not the entire problem, but it is probably the biggest problem. The way this team breaks out of the zone or plays in the D zone screams coaching problem. The goals they give up are just simple break downs in their zone, they make it very easy for the opposition to score against them, they lack simple attention to details.

Part of the problem is having Holden as the permanent top 4 guy on that blue line, they need a big upgrade there no doubt, but there still no reason why this team can't play better, smarter hockey in their zone when they are defending or breakout of the zone, that's just bad coaching and lack of good system.

Coaches are not magicians obviously, if they were Leafs would be in the playoffs right now with Babcock, and lets not forget that the Avs had coach Q which didn't help them much, but they had a really bad roster under Q, a good coach could push this team into playoffs the last couple of years, so yeah i'd say coaching is really a problem for them.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The most important thing that needs to happen is them figuring out why this team is so mentally fragile. Is it the coach? Is it the captain? Is it the inconsistency of core players like Duchene, EJ and Varly? I really don't know. But that is what really needs to be fixed.

We also really need to fix the defense. We need smarter players. And probably need a new scheme.

Without there being any evidence of a division inside the locker room, I don't see how the Landeskog's a bad captain argument could be made here. It's not a hive mind thing out there.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The coaching change is the most short-term beneficial one imo because Sakic doesn't seem smart enough to do something with the Iggy contract to create room to sign both a FA top 4 dman AND a 2nd line winger (which should be Bdker). He'll only be able to do one of the two. And I don't trust him to get good value on a trade for one of the big pieces (not that any of them should be traded, we'd be making a huge hole).

Those key pieces of ours should only be moved if we're going in on an all-out rebuild. This doesn't seem wise since MacKinnon isn't developing into a proper 1st line centre. We basically have two 1B centres in Duchene/Mac so let's roll with it and see what a new coach + depth can do.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It's not necessarily a matter of being "smart enough" to do something with Iginla's contract because even if they found a team that wanted him, and didn't care if there was any retention at all in salary, and was going to offer something of decent value in return, Iginla (the last we heard) was not interested in waiving his NMC.

He holds all the cards.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Mental toughness isn't something you are going to automatically get by going out and getting different players. It's something that has to be built up over time. Part of it is trust in yourself and your teammates, there's no way to rush it. Part of it is from maturity, experience, confidence. It's possible that this group is too scarred collectively and something needs to change to improve the culture. I don't really think it's a problem in the room, we've heard nothing about that of any sort, all I've ever heard is the guys genuinely get along and care for eachother. I say it's more immaturity, fear. To some extent the "a core player is going to go" threats don't help either. You can't beat them into playing better, fear and intimidation don't accomplish much in the long run. For me it's too early to say this core can never get it. I'm sure the confidence of playing in front of a real defense would help. 5 years is what it was going to take to see what this group can and can't do, I don't feel much different now.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Dater explicitly said on twitter that core players will be gone if the Avs don't make it.

I'm okay with it. I don't t think this is a core that can win the cup.

I expect one of Duchene /Mackinnon gone and one of EJ/Barrie as well

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Mental toughness isn't something you are going to automatically get by going out and getting different players. It's something that has to be built up over time. Part of it is trust in yourself and your teammates, there's no way to rush it. Part of it is from maturity, experience, confidence. It's possible that this group is too scarred collectively and something needs to change to improve the culture. I don't really think it's a problem in the room, we've heard nothing about that of any sort, all I've ever heard is the guys genuinely get along and care for eachother. I say it's more immaturity, fear. To some extent the "a core player is going to go" threats don't help either. You can't beat them into playing better, fear and intimidation don't accomplish much in the long run. For me it's too early to say this core can never get it. I'm sure the confidence of playing in front of a real defense would help. 5 years is what it was going to take to see what this group can and can't do, I don't feel much different now.

I agree with this, any drastic measures right now are a bit premature IMO. Hopefully we got a little bit of a glimpse into what's possible for the future when both Bigras and Zadorov were both in the lineup. There was some rookie mistakes, but we were damn good at moving the puck up the ice in those five games. Team possession was also the best it's been all season in those games.

At the same time, Roy has to find a way to get over using guys like Holden and Mitchell who have been around longer. I didn't like what he said about being loyal to Redmond and Bodychuck either when asked about Zadorov personally. Who gives a damn, those guys are fighting to stay on the edge of a roster. They are not solutions to anything, and haven't done any more or less for us than any other fringe player would do. I hope that was just a ******** excuse.

Dater explicitly said on twitter that core players will be gone if the Avs don't make it.

Dater does not know anything definitively, or else Duchene would have already been traded apparently. The most he may know is that it's an avenue they'll explore in the off-season.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Alrighty then.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

The Varlomov and EJ trades, as well as Landeskog's draft year was five years ago.

We have had Duchene here for eight years. How long does it take for us to realize this isn't working??

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I am fine with Patrick as the coach for the mean time but the rest of the coaching staff needs a change up. I am sick of watching the powerplay default to standing at the blue line, passing it back to the d, waiting for the d to skate up and then dump it in, thus turning it over. It doesn't work, it never has, move on ffs.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think we need to ask if coaching really is the problem. No doubt we have improved but often this team looks the exact same as when Sacco was coaching.

The issue is that Sacco was appalling. If we had an actually NHL coach pre-Roy, that point would have validity.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The Varlomov and EJ trades, as well as Landeskog's draft year was five years ago.

We have had Duchene here for eight years. How long does it take for us to realize this isn't working??

The problems we're having today really extend back to poor management decisions dating back at least that long. Poor asset management, poor drafting outside of slam dunk picks, poor prospect development system, management alienating players. Avs have already kind of hit reset on that early rebuild, the biggest herald being trading a first line C for futures. The question is, do you at some point move on from guys like Duchene and EJ, or give it time with the new group they're trying to build? I think you have to give it 1-2 more years.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

So? Just because they found a couple pieces doesn't mean they were building anything. A new regime change always resets things. And in those 5 years they finished 29th twice. They added only one draft pick to the team (Barrie) and got the #1 overall. What is "this"? Doing nothing? Hoping 6 guys can somehow drag a team into contention? Just because Sakic retired and they drafted Duchene doesn't mean they started anything.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Even with Roy with his faults, which he DOES have in terms of certain structure and player personnel, he has taken a 29th club going nowhere to at least in a playoff contention. I doubt you could say the same thing if Sacco was in charge.

I don't care if he's coach anymore, I don't care if Eakins was the one who makes this club into a Cup contender (that's what I really want). BUT I think people are too harsh on Roy here IMO. At the current time I think I would be okay if he stayed all five years. Of course this could all change, but I think he deserves some credit for at least having a vision and carrying it out, I'm more with Dater when it comes to this.

As for the poll, personally the most logical conclusion is to stay the course, add some more talent in free agency, re-sign the players we need, trades without giving up a core piece, and come back next season with a hungry desire where they learned from their mistakes. While also having certain players being NHL ready for big roles with Rantanen, Zadorov, and Bigras.

But since I am crazy distraught right now, I think I would seriously consider trading a core piece. On the other side of the argument, majority of this core has been together for 5-7 seasons, and haven't really shown that huge "next" leap that Blackhawks, Kings, and Penguins have shown. It's been more of the same over two regimes where dumb plays at critical times, inconsistencies, and not having an ability to play a full 60 minutes has caused this team to go absolutely nowhere. Not only lose, but lose in probably the most insufferable imagination possible. As I've mentioned many times before, this team has what it takes to be good, but I haven't seen anything to think this team has what it takes to go far IMO (in terms of players).

Great post Tigre, it truly is the hardest aspect to learn, but sometimes teams just don't ever have it. Again look at the St. Louis Blues for this, a team that has dominated games, but are not a scary team in the playoffs. Sometimes you actually do need to change the core because not only you don't think they have it, they showed us first hand they don't. Not really speaking about the Avs here, more in terms of the Blues, but Avs are following a similar path IMO. After losing yet again in the playoffs, they traded a turtle in Oshie, who is one of those weak mentality players, but got a equally worse player back when it comes to playoffs. Trading Oshie was a good move, but Backes should have also been gone as well, perhaps try and get an upgrade in goal from him. We all know that Blues aren't as good as Detroit of the 2000s so they can't have an Osgood/Elliott/Allen type of goaler to lead them deep. Just as Wild won't come close to the Stanley Cup with Dubnyk and Koivu in top positions.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The problems we're having today really extend back to poor management decisions dating back at least that long. Poor asset management, poor drafting outside of slam dunk picks, poor prospect development system, management alienating players. Avs have already kind of hit reset on that early rebuild, the biggest herald being trading a first line C for futures. The question is, do you at some point move on from guys like Duchene and EJ, or give it time with the new group they're trying to build? I think you have to give it 1-2 more years.

Siemens (11th O/A), Hishon (17th O/A), and Bleackley (23rd O/A)

Does any other team have that many first round failures in such a short period of time?

That's our missing top four defender, and almost an entire top nine forward line.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Does any other team have that many first round failures in such a short period of time?

That's our missing top four defender, and almost an entire top nine forward line.

And they "started" in 2009 with no additional picks or assets and had just given away their 2008 first for no reason.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
And they "started" in 2009 with no additional picks or assets and had just given away their 2008 first for no reason.

Yeah it wasn't like we sold off a bunch of guys like Toronto and Buffalo are doing or did when starting their rebuild.

The only two things we did were trade for EJ, and trade a top 10 pick for a RFA goaltender.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Building throught the draft is important, but that doesn't equal success. Just look at the Oilers and that all needs to be said, getting the best player every draft doesn't make them good. Posters here were even saying that getting McDavd back was going to get them out of lottery. Even certain poster said he was going to post 110-120 points (on pace for high 80s, which isn't bad for a rookie) and how that will make them into a playoff bubble team, it tells all of us that one player doesn't make a team better in a team sport.

Avs were smart in trading what if picks for NHL proven players like Varlamov and others. And some of those draft picked players also turned into players like Erik Johnson. We got a superb #1 goaler, got an average #1 defenceman, and drafted a #1 centre. If Avs didn't make those trades, we would be with the Oilers right now. Yeah we would probably have Filip Forsberg (realistically, maybe not since Pracey loved the OHL/CHL), but we would be in the Matthews sweepstakes. Again, draft picks will not make this team better anymore, waiting another 3-4 years for them to develop during this critical time where Avs are close is stupid. Not saying to trade them for nothing in the past, now, and for the future, just implying that a lot of works needs to be done to make a team good. It doesn't just come through the draft or drafting the best player.

Last edited:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Without there being any evidence of a division inside the locker room, I don't see how the Landeskog's a bad captain argument could be made here. It's not a hive mind thing out there.

This team is mentally weak on the ice. I don't know why they are, but the captain of the team could be part of it.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
If they do a blockbuster involving Duchene or Landeskog they need to move one of Barrie or EJ for an offensive player.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Building throught the draft is important, but that doesn't equal success. Just look at the Oilers and that all needs to be said, getting the best player every draft doesn't make them good.

the problem is that they didn't always get the best played in the draft and they've failed pathetically on most picks outside of their top picks.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Roy isn't going anywhere and hopefully neither is Duchene/Landeskog. It would be a big mistake to start shipping out skill when lack of skill is a major problem. Sure we can shift the lack from one position to another but that's not a solution.

Realistically what we can hope for it that Iginla realize he's not winning any cups here and he asks for a trade so Avs get a mulligan on that bad decision. Hopefully some other GM will get mesmerized by the ice time and shot blocking of Holden and covet him. We'll look back on him playing top four minutes the way we look back at Shane O'Brien and Ryan O'Byrne doing the same thing here and wonder what on earth was going through the head of the coaching staff.

Varlamov vs Pickard may be a thing. Expansion draft has put a deadline on the decision and I think it's smart to get ahead of the pack. Of course last time around there were trades with the expansion teams that made them not pick up goalies in the draft.

Columbus

San Jose traded Jan Caloun, a ninth-round pick (Martin Paroulek) in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft, and a conditional pick (Aaron Johnson) in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft to Columbus on June 11, 2000, after the Blue Jackets agreed not to select Evgeni Nabokov.
Buffalo traded Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre, Matt Davidson, and two fifth-round draft picks, one each in the 2000 (Tyler Kolarik) and 2001 (Andreas Jämtin) Entry Drafts, to Columbus on June 23, 2000, after the Blue Jackets agreed not to select Dominik Hasek or Martin Biron.

Minnesota

San Jose traded Andy Sutton, a seventh-round pick (Peter Bartoš) in the 2000 Entry Draft and a third-round pick (later traded to Columbus - (Aaron Johnson)) in the 2001 Entry Draft to Minnesota on June 11, 2000, for an eighth-round pick in the 2000 Entry Draft after the Wild agreed not to select Evgeni Nabokov.

What happens with Barrie is anyone's guess. Hopefully both he and Avs find a middle ground. He's a skilled player and Avs need someone like him but he can't be your best paid player. He's not the type of guy.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

kind of early for 2014 but teams that have likely missed on two 1st rounders from 2010-2013 are: coyotes, stars... maybe the canucks too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad