What music have you been listening to lately ?

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I'm not sure the "but" is needed - what's wrong with sounding like Zeppelin?

I remember reading something someone wrote about the first Rush album and it said something like "people criticize them for sounding too much like Zeppelin (as if that's a bad thing)" and that's sort of how I feel. Zeppelin is awesome, nothing wrong with sounding like them. And that first Rush album is my favourite but that's just my taste, prefer that sound to the stuff they did later (which was of course great and I liked much of that as well).

I dunno about respectful homage. IIRC they were asked about sounding a lot like another famous band and they pretended like they had no idea who they were talking about. Yeah right. :rolleyes:

Agree that it's cool that they are making rock music, wish there was more of that.
Good points
I don’t know much about their interviews at all

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
A little confection from way back, English folkies playing very much in the style of NW England
90c0139bc70dfad6133225713e2b6320.gif

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'm not sure the "but" is needed - what's wrong with sounding like Zeppelin?

I remember reading something someone wrote about the first Rush album and it said something like "people criticize them for sounding too much like Zeppelin (as if that's a bad thing)" and that's sort of how I feel. Zeppelin is awesome, nothing wrong with sounding like them. And that first Rush album is my favourite but that's just my taste, prefer that sound to the stuff they did later (which was of course great and I liked much of that as well).

I dunno about respectful homage. IIRC they were asked about sounding a lot like another famous band and they pretended like they had no idea who they were talking about. Yeah right. :rolleyes:

Agree that it's cool that they are making rock music, wish there was more of that.

greta van fleet really sound like zeppelin, almost like a cover band ...

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I have a question for the grey beards out there
50+++ lol

What do you think and Greta Van Fleet ?
My old timer buddy , music lover , but hates anything new unfortunately lol
He despises them
I kinda always say , at least they don’t sound like anything new on the radio
I don’t mind them
His voice kinda get to me , but I dont mind them
Way better than regular radio play now

some stuff they do approaches excellent(well more my taste anyway!) some not so much, yeah there's definitely some Zep bubbling very near the surface in their writing, but I think that's just because of what they listen to and what makes their juices flow.

tbh though I have a hard time getting through a complete album, seem to be quite a lot of filler, but I think that goes for a lot of the "new" categorized as "rock bands"

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Some of my favourite punk bands in the early days
Just a few off the top of my head
There was so much more , incredible time in music and culture
Ramones
Black flag
Stooges
DK
Buzzcocks
NY dolls
The Damned
Bad Brains
The Jam
Richard Hell
Mc5
Television
Cramps
Stranglers
Dictators
On and on and on
One of the great great kicks in the teeth sound and feel that ever occurred in the music industry was Punk!!!
I wish for another earth shattering altering all out war and chaos on music today , but I doubt it the last time that happened was Grunge ....
Sweet!!
Black Flag and Bad Brains.....yes! Speaking of Black Flag, I think a defining moment in punk history was the movie The Decline of Western Civilization in 1980. That's when the rest of the world saw the insane slamming and stage diving happening in LA, at the time. The Black Flag, Fear and Circle Jerks footage from that film is insane.

Also, in 1981, members from Cro-mags, Minor Threat, Negative Approach and other bands came to the SNL set and moshed to Fear. Again, the first time that many people saw this form of dancing. It spread like wildfire after that. So many people don't even know that this event even happened! They never showed it in reruns (the punks trashed the set afterwards lol). It's insane.

For those who have never seen this SNL footage before, you're in for a treat:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
ah ok, that's Survivor or something, right? I've never watched it or any other reality shows tbh, the closest I get to reality TV is live sports:nod:
Wow I thought everybody watched at least a season, mind you I haven't watched tv in years, only hockey games.

Anyway yep it from survivor, the remaining players vote someone off the island and the host (Jeff) snuffs out their light. As I said I was just trying to be humorous and yes I realize everybody has different tastes. No offence man.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
greta van fleet really sound like zeppelin, almost like a cover band ...

Yes, I would agree with that. And in that sense, I can understand why people would criticize them for that and hope that they grow out of it. And when I saw them pretend that they didn't who was being talked about as a band that they sounded like I felt like giving them a smack for the disrespect.

The first Rush album maybe sounded sort of like Zep but nowhere near close enough to accuse them of copying their style or whatever but GVF sounds about 99% like Zep and it's hard to believe it's not intentional, or at least super heavily influenced by them which is why I find it incredibly annoying that they're not giving them credit for that.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yes, I would agree with that. And in that sense, I can understand why people would criticize them for that and hope that they grow out of it. And when I saw them pretend that they didn't who was being talked about as a band that they sounded like I felt like giving them a smack for the disrespect.

The first Rush album maybe sounded sort of like Zep but nowhere near close enough to accuse them of copying their style or whatever but GVF sounds about 99% like Zep and it's hard to believe it's not intentional, or at least super heavily influenced by them which is why I find it incredibly annoying that they're not giving them credit for that.
i seen an interview a while back and the singer said he used to listen to zeppelin and that is how he learned to sing, no lessens, he just copied Plant

Rush is a beauty of a band, great tunes

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Wow I thought everybody watched at least a season, mind you I haven't watched tv in years, only hockey games.

Anyway yep it from survivor, the remaining players vote someone off the island and the host (Jeff) snuffs out their light. As I said I was just trying to be humorous and yes I realize everybody has different tastes. No offence man.

none taken so no worries

yeah no it's all such total horsepuckey, I have a hard time thinking that the general population is really this dull, but it seems all these "reality" shows have such huge viewership.

It's like watching American made for TV documentaries nature, science history etal, I cannot tolerate watching them, it's like they are working so hard to insult my intelligence. 8 mins of show - 2 minute commercial break- 2 mins reiteration 5 mins new info -2 mins commercial break - 3 mins reiteration 4 mins new info - 3 min commercial break - 4 mins reiteration, 2 mins new info, 1 min reiteration - 2 min commercial break - 7 mins new info 2 mins retieration - 4 mins commercial break(same 2 + 2 minute block in the first half hour) 5 min wrap with a little moralizing - 2min commercial New time block starts

drives me nuts

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
50+++ lol

He despises them
I don’t mind them

Love when newer younger bands take inspiration from the older classic ones, especially Led Zep.

Wolfmother and Rival Sons come to mind as well.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
50+++ lol

He despises them
I don’t mind them
I think they’re talented, but not a fan, they sound too much like Zep.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
i seen an interview a while back and the singer said he used to listen to zeppelin and that is how he learned to sing, no lessens, he just copied Plant

Rush is a beauty of a band, great tunes

Glad to hear it!

Rush is amazing, ironically the stuff they're best known for isn't what I like that best but I just love that 1st album, just amazing stuff from beginning to end. And I also love the album they did of 60s covers, some really cool stuff there, especially their version of The Seeker.

none taken so no worries

yeah no it's all such total horsepuckey, I have a hard time thinking that the general population is really this dull, but it seems all these "reality" shows have such huge viewership.

It's like watching American made for TV documentaries nature, science history etal, I cannot tolerate watching them, it's like they are working so hard to insult my intelligence. 8 mins of show - 2 minute commercial break- 2 mins reiteration 5 mins new info -2 mins commercial break - 3 mins reiteration 4 mins new info - 3 min commercial break - 4 mins reiteration, 2 mins new info, 1 min reiteration - 2 min commercial break - 7 mins new info 2 mins retieration - 4 mins commercial break(same 2 + 2 minute block in the first half hour) 5 min wrap with a little moralizing - 2min commercial New time block starts

drives me nuts

I agree about reality shows, for me it's all crap. Except for Shark Tank and Dragons Den which are my favourite shows on TV. But then, those are super intelligent which is the opposite of what reality is typically like (at least I assume it is, I never watch anything other than those shows).

As far as commercials and so on - I watch everything taped, it's easy to FF through all the the nonsense.

I think they’re talented, but not a fan, they sound too much like Zep.

I don't even mind that they sound like so much like Zep, for me it's that their material is nowhere close to them in quality. They're young so maybe that'll change with time but for now, it's cool to hear the Plant like voice but it's a novelty that I don't feel like listening to over and over.

Not sure how much money they make and I wonder how much they could make as a Zep cover band? Even for one tour of Zep covers, I'd guess they'd be by far the biggest money making cover tour in history, Zep was so awesome, they're so hard to cover because hardly anyone could do Plant's voice justice and they could pull that off so well! I'd pay to seem them do Zep tunes, no question.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't even mind that they sound like so much like Zep, for me it's that their material is nowhere close to them in quality. They're young so maybe that'll change with time but for now, it's cool to hear the Plant like voice but it's a novelty that I don't feel like listening to over and over.
Zeppelin took old blues standards and made them their own, these kids could have taken what Zep did, and altered it enough that it wasn't a carbon copy. First time I heard the Black Crows I immediately thought they sounded like the Faces, but it was different enough to be unique and not the same old same old.............

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad