What means more to you - stanley cup playoffs or international tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verbal Kint*

I think all save the European fans will answer Good Ole Stanley.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
Although international hockey allows for Canada and Canadian hockey to shine, the Stanley Cup is the real reason why most of us ever laced up the skates or watch hockey...

Knucklez

Jan 1, 2004
Behind the bench!
Visit site
Both are great, you can't compare.

Canada wins an internation tournament, and I'm extremely proud of our country, and proud to be Canadian. I also love watching the best players in the world all at once.

My team wins the Cup, and I'm overjoyed because I've grown with the team, seen all the changes, what it takes to build a winner. I've seen the team go from a bottom feeder to a contender, then to a Cup champion. It's a totally different feeling, and I wouldn't know which is more satisfying because I've only experienced the former.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I don't have "a team" so I always look forward to these international tournaments. So I'll be one of the few Canadians to vote against Lord Stanley.

High flyin' Habs*

Rob said:
I don't have "a team" so I always look forward to these international tournaments. So I'll be one of the few Canadians to vote against Lord Stanley.

How come you dont root for a team?

Phanuthier*

Stanley

As someone on another board said, this game was anti-climatic for Flames fan. It was kind of a "yup, they held on to win, just like they were supposed to do."

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Stanley Cup and the new format Olympics are about even to me. These two events are so different in characteristics that it is hard to compare them in any meaningful way though. One is a very short elite tournament in the middle of the season while the other one is a long grueling endurance test.

SopelFan*

I could give two craps about international play. Stanley Cup playoffs, however is an entirely different story.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
I think it's apples and oranges. The difference is, as NHL fans we hope our team will win the Stanley Cup, while we as Canadians expect to win a best on best international tournament. In one sense that would make a Stanley Cup win more special. However in philosophy, I think your country should come before your club.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I choose Stanley barely over Olympics and then Championships.

I think the tournaments are really great and I'm usually very proud of the guys. I also get to see a few players we never see in the NHL, which is fun.

But Stanley is a 2-month grueling war following a tough season. There is usually a lot of drama, a lot of history, sometimes bad blood. It's a slow buildup which makes the resolution all the more intense and interesting.

That's the difference.

Tournaments are very short time. There are also more often mismatches. And a single bad game can ruin it for you. In the playoffs, you can make mistakes (and thus enhance the drama) and then redeem yourself. THAT is what's cool.

You can see the emotion on the players' face. If you've won the Cup, you've worked extremely hard to get there.

But I still love international play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad