What makes next season a success?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I'd like to wait to see if any other pieces are added before I make my selection. As of now? I'd like to combine home ice for the first round AND a first round win.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
If we aren't sellers again at trade deadline....Nothing like going into the playoffs thinking "this isn't our year...let's go get more draft picks."

None the less, it's nice to know that LA Kings fans are already combing through our roster looking for their next Stanley Cup Championship trade deadline steal.

KillerCarlson

Sep 18, 2010
Kent, OH
Winning a playoff round is a good and realistic goal to have. There were times during the CBJ PIT series where I honestly thought we had a chance at winning, which is saying something since initially I had no expectations of them winning anything at all.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Make the playoffs by a comfortable margin. Columbus needs to reach the level where playoffs are an expectation and not a success.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Took the win one round option, but if the team gets 95-100 points and gets bounced in the first round by a hot goalie, I'd be hard pressed to categorize the season as a disappointment.

Given that the New York Rangers and Montreal Canadiens made the Conference Finals this past season, I don't think that it's too outrageous to think that if all of the ducks fall in line for the CBJ that a CF appearance could be a realistic possibility.

An improving Johansen, Jenner, and Murray along with a healthy and productive Horton should be enough to move the Jackets significantly upward this season. Add in the removal of the albatross Umberger and the addition of his luckily-acquired replacement Hartnell (thank you Hextall), and it's really hard to see this team even having to battle too hard to make the playoffs.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
There are two possibilities for success in my opinion, both of which obviously incorporate making the playoffs.

The first possibility is to make the playoffs and win the 1st round. If we do that, the season is a success in my book.

The second possibility is to make the playoffs and get bounced in the 1st round but have the young players continue to make obvious progression. If Johansen, Jenner, Murray, etc. have great years and we make the playoffs, that is a sign that we're still moving in the right direction even if we lose out in round 1.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Win a series. But I don't think I'd consider a 1st-round series loss a failure necessarily, depending on the final score (no sweep) and how we got to the playoffs in the first place.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
If we aren't sellers again at trade deadline....Nothing like going into the playoffs thinking "this isn't our year...let's go get more draft picks."

None the less, it's nice to know that LA Kings fans are already combing through our roster looking for their next Stanley Cup Championship trade deadline steal.

Yeah, very bazaar being a seller (Gabby) at the trade dead line when we needed to buy since we were in the playoffs???? But what do I know, perhaps JD and Kek have some new grand NHL plan that includes selling stars instead of acquiring them before the playoffs???

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Yeah, very bazaar being a seller (Gabby) at the trade dead line when we needed to buy since we were in the playoffs???? But what do I know, perhaps JD and Kek have some new grand NHL plan that includes selling stars instead of acquiring them before the playoffs???
16 teams make the playoffs, 1 wins the cup. If we went out and tried to acquire expensive pieces and ended up not winning the cup we would've been shooting ourselves in the foot in regards to our future success. We just weren't that close to winning a cup to justify being buyers at the deadline. Staying pat at the deadline? Reasonable enough. But being buyers last year? Nah..

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
16 teams make the playoffs, 1 wins the cup. If we went out and tried to acquire expensive pieces and ended up not winning the cup we would've been shooting ourselves in the foot in regards to our future success. We just weren't that close to winning a cup to justify being buyers at the deadline. Staying pat at the deadline? Reasonable enough. But being buyers last year? Nah..

I think you like Kek.... so far I'm not impressed with him (he even messed up dressing enough defenseman for an NHL game once-a pee wee type decision)...

I'm thinking this NHL GM experiment with Finland might be a mistake... The dude better get his act under control soon....

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I think you like Kek.... so far I'm not impressed with him (he even messed up dressing enough defenseman for an NHL game once-a pee wee type decision)...

I'm thinking this NHL GM experiment with Finland might be a mistake... The dude better get his act under control soon....

Huh?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Jarmo has done a pretty good job building

the Gabby trade, other than a salary dump still has me baffled. We need his scoring so badly to give him away for pucks was sad imo. Knowing we didn't get a healthy Horton back, I am dissapointed they gave up on Gaborik prior to next season.

Not having enough Dmen.. pretty bad move too but not in the same hemisphere as the Gabby trade.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
GMJK has been great IMO

Just curious...but in what way? It's too early to determine on his draft picks, we haven't seen his big FA signing Horton healthy yet, he screwed up on Gaborik (twice), and his other add ins like skille, comeau, frattin and Schultz haven't been anything special. He may turn out to be a great GM, but just wondering what he's done to be considered great now?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Just curious...but in what way? It's too early to determine on his draft picks, we haven't seen his big FA signing Horton healthy yet, he screwed up on Gaborik (twice), and his other add ins like skille, comeau, frattin and Schultz haven't been anything special. He may turn out to be a great GM, but just wondering what he's done to be considered great now?
Schultz was a pretty solid acquisition, dunno why you're looking down on it. We had injuries on D and needed insurance, he picked up Schultz for a 5th rounder at 50% salary and was able to get the 5th back at the end of the season. Essentially borrowed Schultz from Edmonton at half price for no extra cost to us.

I really like the return he was able to get for Umberger, a player on a bad contract who didn't want to be here. I like that he extended Richards and his assistants instead of kicking him to the curb simply because he wasn't "Jarmo's guy". I like his picks and think they're going to be pretty damn good players. Instead of just picking Heatherington at 44th he was able to turn the 44th into 50th and 89th picks and still managed to get Heatherington but nabbed Bjorkstrand as well. I think the Jack Skille signing turned out pretty well. He extended Bobrovsky, Anisimov, Atkinson, Calvert, Savard and Letestu at great cap hits (and there's more to be seen with Johansen and the others that are coming up soon). He was able to pick Tropp up off of the waiver wire and utilize him well here.

I actually really liked his Gaborik experimentation. He took a chance and got a great player at a cost that didn't hurt us. The experiment didn't work out so well and he was able to recognize that and began to gather what he could get in return for Gaborik, rather than letting Gabby play/sit on IR til his contract was up and refusing to admit that it wasn't a good fit.

He also turned Mason, a goalie who had been playing terribad for years, into a 3rd round pick. Like, Mason was playing considerably worse over that span of time than Devan Dubnyk, and Dubnyk was traded for future considerations..

I mean, what's there to really gripe about? Gaborik's return at the deadline wasn't fantastic, but it was better than getting nothing and I'm personally glad that we took the chance on him. And yes, you can't really say with certainty anything about his drafting so far, but everyone around these parts sure do speak highly of at least 4 of his draft picks..

edit: there is one thing that I absolutely can not defend. Extending Boll for 5.1m/3 years.. just... why...? How do you even justify or explain it..?

Last edited:

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Schultz was a pretty solid acquisition, dunno why you're looking down on it. We had injuries on D and needed insurance, he picked up Schultz for a 5th rounder at 50% salary and was able to get the 5th back at the end of the season. Essentially borrowed Schultz from Edmonton at half price for no extra cost to us.

I really like the return he was able to get for Umberger, a player on a bad contract who didn't want to be here. I like that he extended Richards and his assistants instead of kicking him to the curb simply because he wasn't "Jarmo's guy". I like his picks and think they're going to be pretty damn good players. Instead of just picking Heatherington at 44th he was able to turn the 44th into 50th and 89th picks and still managed to get Heatherington but nabbed Bjorkstrand as well. I think the Jack Skille signing turned out pretty well. He extended Bobrovsky, Anisimov, Atkinson, Calvert, Savard and Letestu at great cap hits (and there's more to be seen with Johansen and the others that are coming up soon). He was able to pick Tropp up off of the waiver wire and utilize him well here.

I actually really liked his Gaborik experimentation. He took a chance and got a great player at a cost that didn't hurt us. The experiment didn't work out so well and he was able to recognize that and began to gather what he could get in return for Gaborik, rather than letting Gabby play/sit on IR til his contract was up and refusing to admit that it wasn't a good fit.

He also turned Mason, a goalie who had been playing terribad for years, into a 3rd round pick. Like, Mason was playing considerably worse over that span of time than Devan Dubnyk, and Dubnyk was traded for future considerations..

I mean, what's there to really gripe about? Gaborik's return at the deadline wasn't fantastic, but it was better than getting nothing and I'm personally glad that we took the chance on him. And yes, you can't really say with certainty anything about his drafting so far, but everyone around these parts sure do speak highly of at least 4 of his draft picks..

edit: there is one thing that I absolutely can not defend. Extending Boll for 5.1m/3 years.. just... why...? How do you even justify or explain it..?

Was the return better than just letting him play on your team and maybe score 3-4 power play goals in the playoffs? Not suggesting he was the perfect fit in Columbus but they went 19-15 in the games he played and he almost led them to the playoffs after being acquired in 2013. And his ability to score historically on the power play filled one of the biggest gaps on the team. To me the skills of the GM are still very much unproven.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

First of all you mention that game, which was a gaffe on the entire management not just JK. From JD to JK to Richards that entire snowstorm thing was bad, but who expected Savard (I believe) to get sick that morning? Richards has control of the lineup, not JK.

Just because JK hasn't brought in elite talent (his biggest add hasn't been 100% yet keep in mind. Give that time.), but keep in mind this team was supposed to be rebuilding when he took over. They were dead last. Once he got here the team had a fire under their ass because they had to prove to the new guy that they belonged, which is why Brassard and co. were shipped out. They weren't apart of the future. JK has done a great job of stocking the cupboard for the future (and yes, I know that doesn't matter for the current Jackets but it will soon.), while letting the YOUNGEST team in the NHL grow together. This is exactly how Chicago did it when they were growing. We're not a team of elite players minus Johansen and Bobrovsky, we're a TEAM. I don't think its a coincidence that this started forming as soon as JK and JD came aboard.

Yes, it is mostly Howson's team. But this culture change and actual identity of a team was started by him, but I don't think he was the guy to enforce it. JK is, and everyone is held accountable to the standard he and the rest of his staff that he has brought aboard. Our entire staff is experienced and know what they're doing and our organization is in the best shape it's ever been in, and I think JK needs to get his share of credit for it.

So long story short. He's done a good job. And to say that bringing in JK was an 'experiment that might be a mistake' only a year and some change into his tenure as our GM is ridiculous IMO.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Wasn't really all that great of an acquisition. He did ok when he was here, but we had more pressing concerns.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I give JK a C+ right now. Selling going into the playoffs was a big negative. He weakened the team by not replacing Gaborik (and had to pay part of Gaborik's salary, epic fail IMO, that showed he wasnt worried about getting a good deal but dumping him), and from what we saw in the playoffs, a little extra punch could have upset the Pens. I like the Hartnell move, but I want to see 1 more major skill signing, otherwise the team has only marginally improved from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad