What makes Erik Karlsson inferior to Niklas Lidstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Nostalgia at its best.

You must be really young considering how much ignorant you are towards Lidstrom. He got 7 Norris's and should imo have a couple more. He was that good.

If you seriously think its just nostalgia, watch how people on this site talked about him while he played.

Karlsson is great and all, but hes no lidstrom - Not. Even. Close.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
You must be really young considering how much ignorant you are towards Lidstrom. He got 7 Norris's and should imo have a couple more. He was that good.

If you seriously think its just nostalgia, watch how people on this site talked about him while he played.

If anything he should have one less.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

I dont think you understand the difference between 60 points and 100 points.

If Karlsson was putting up 100 points he'd easily be the best player in the world and up there with Orr.

Last edited:

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I do think think you understand the difference between 60 points and 100 points.

If Karlsson was putting up 100 points he'd easily be the best player in the world and up there with Orr.
And if your aunt had a pair she would be your uncle....

Offensively that would put him up there with Orr, but Orr was still miles and miles ahead defensively. EK can put up all the big numbers he wants, his defensive side of the game will still not be on Orr or Lidstrom level.

Reactions: Casanova

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
That's comical. Like comparing Lidstrom to Karlsson, Lidstrom to Bourque are very different styles of players. And Bourque's defensive ability is very underrated because he was so good on offense. But people forget the guy was 5-11 but well over 200 lbs, built like brick house. Had that low center of gravity and could muscle most guys off the puck.

But as far as individual greatness comparisons go, Bourque is on par with or perhaps even exceeds Lidstrom. This is an interesting article on how great Bourque was, how he was overshadowed a bit playing his prime in the same era as Gretzky/Lemieux/Messier.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/goes-brown-nhl-awards-look-like-using-mlb-model/

"While running through the research for this piece, one name showed up more than any other. It’s a guy who already has plenty of hardware from a legendary career. But if he’d played in a world where the NHL split its awards by conference, he’d have a whole lot more. So let’s talk about Ray Bourque.
In the real world, Bourque won the Norris Trophy five times between 1987 and 1994. That was an impressive run, one that slots him behind only Orr, Lidstrom and Doug Harvey on the all-time list. But split the trophy by conference, and Bourque jumps to the top of the leaderboard by adding an astounding six more Norris Trophies. He wins the Prince of Wales version in 1982, 1985 and 1993, then adds Eastern Conference honors in 1995, 1996 and 1999. (He nearly wins the Western Conference version in 2001 too, but finishes second to Lidstrom.) That makes it a ridiculous 11 times that Norris voters thought Ray Bourque was the best defenceman in his conference.
But it gets even better for Bourque, because in our alternate universe, voters eventually get bored of handing them the Norris and start voting him for the Hart Trophy too. He’d have been the Eastern MVP in 1987, 1990 and 1991.
Mix in the real-world Calder that he picked up in 1980, and Bourque winds up with 15 different individual awards over the course of his career, making him just about the most decorated athlete in pro sports history.
So maybe now we finally know why the NHL never adopted the MLB model. It just wouldn’t have been fair to the guy who had to build Ray Bourque’s trophy case."

Think about that for a second. Bourque would of been the best D-man in his conference in 1982 (at age 21), and the 2nd best in his conference almost 20 years later in his final 2001 season (2nd only to a 30-year old Lidstrom).

He was flat out robbed of a Hart Trophy in 1990 (losing to Messier by a just 2 votes, 227 to 225).

Doesn't even mention his record 1st/2nd team all-star nominations.

Just an unbelievable level of consistently excellent performance over a 20+ year span that we may never see again from a D-man. While he wasn't the best D-man on the planet for his entire 20+ year career, how many guys can honestly say they were among the Top 5 D-men in the game from their very first game until their very last? Other than Orr (and his 9 seasons), none that I can think of.

Im not going in to Bourque vs Lidstrom, two of my favorite defensemen all time, but Lidström was a top 5 defender in the world maybe even before he started his NHL career, and continued for all of his 20 NHL seasons imo. People just didnt notice because of his new way of defending.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Offensively that would put him up there with Orr, but Orr was still miles and miles ahead defensively. EK can put up all the big numbers he wants, his defensive side of the game will still not be on Orr or Lidstrom level.

Actually, when Erik is healthy, his defensive game is very close. It's obvious a lot of folks still haven't watched Karlsson much over the past two seasons.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

I didn't make up the 60 VS 100 point argument, someone else did.

I totally agree that Lidstrom is better defensively, but to say that you would take a 60 point Lidstrom over a 100 point Karlsson is pure lunacy.

Not to mention that Karlsson is a really good defensive player in his own right.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Actually, when Erik is healthy, his defensive game is very close. It's obvious a lot of folks still haven't watched Karlsson much over the past two seasons.
It's not actually. And the whole "you clearly don't watch him" excuse gets tiring to hear. Sure, he has made great leaps and progress defensively over the past couple of years, but that doesn't automatically mean he's on par with Lidstrom, who defensively rivals the top spot of all time.

The minute he started showing any signs of good defense, people jumped all over it. We are talking mediocre to at least good/decent....

I think it's more you never watched Lidstrom play. He rarely made mistakes.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
I dont think you understand the difference between 60 points and 100 points.

No he wouldnt. Orr was one of the best defensive defensemen as well (according to credible sources, since im too young to have watched him myself).

Karlsson A LOT more than 100 points. Hell, Coffey had 138 and isnt in the same universe as Harvey, Bourque, Lidstrom, Orr etc.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

I totally agree that Lidstrom is better defensively, but to say that you would take a 60 point Lidstrom over a 100 point Karlsson is pure lunacy.

Not to mention that Karlsson is a really good defensive player in his own right.
I don't see the Lunacy in that, Lidstroms resume speaks for itself. That same 60 point Lidstrom would still be much better defensively. For EK to actually score that much, it would take some sacrifices in his own end.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
No he wouldnt. Orr was one of the best defensive defensemen as well (according to credible sources, since im too young to have watched him myself).

Karlsson A LOT more than 100 points. Hell, Coffey had 138 and isnt in the same universe as Harvey, Bourque, Lidstrom, Orr etc.

Yes because 100 point seasons are equivalent across generations.

Here's some help, last year only one player reached 100 points.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009

Thats not lunacy, thats just what anyone who watched Lidstrom would do.

And Karlsson havent got 100 points, or even close to it.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Lidstrom's Norris wins are more impressive. No offense to guys like Doughty, Hedman and Burns but they aren't Pronger and Niedermeyer. If Zubov played today, he'd probably be the second best Dman in the league after Karlsson.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I don't see the Lunacy in that, Lidstroms resume speaks for itself. That same 60 point Lidstrom would still be much better defensively. For EK to actually score that much, it would take some sacrifices in his own end.

So you'd take Bergeron / Toews over Crosby/McDavid? That's your logic.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Actually, no. Lidstrom in his prime was one of the best defenders of all time. Karlsson has a long way to go before he gets there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

If you're saying EK is the best defensive defenseman in the game today, then it would be close. But it's not close.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
So you'd take Bergeron / Toews over Crosby/McDavid? That's your logic.
That makes absolutely no sense :laugh: and, no...that isn't the same logic.

It wouldn't be crazy to take a 60 point Lidstrom over a 100 point EK, simply because Lidstrom would still be dominant defensively....He would still have his same game. He would still be the same player, EK would most likely be a Housley type...

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Yes because 100 point seasons are equivalent across generations.

Here's some help, last year only one player reached 100 points.

100 points probably wouldnt win the Art Ross, something Orr did TWICE.

And also, Karlsson have never even been close to reaching 100 points, in fact - he have a career high of 1PPG, the same as Lidstrom.

Reactions: ORHawksFan

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
100 points probably wouldnt win the Art Ross, something Orr did TWICE.

And also, Karlsson have never even been close to reaching 100 points, in fact - he have a career high of 1PPG, the same as Lidstrom.

The game is extremely different from when Orr played. It was a crude version of hockey with no systems, goalies that you could beat clean, and players who couldn't skate compared to today.

If a player as good as Orr (the best of all time) played today, he wouldn't be regarded as well as Orr even though he is the same because you just can't dominate based on pure skill like you could in the 70s/80s. The game has changed too much.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's not actually. And the whole "you clearly don't watch him" excuse gets tiring to hear. Sure, he has made great leaps and progress defensively over the past couple of years, but that doesn't automatically mean he's on par with Lidstrom, who defensively rivals the top spot of all time.

The minute he started showing any signs of good defense, people jumped all over it. We are talking mediocre to at least good/decent....

I think it's more you never watched Lidstrom play. He rarely made mistakes.

I've watched Lidstrom plenty. The difference in both players defensively isn't as big as you think. And Lidstrom wasn't exactly mistake-free in his 20s. He did have the benefit of a stacked roster...something Erik hasn't had.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
That makes absolutely no sense :laugh: and, no...that isn't the same logic.

It wouldn't be crazy to take a 60 point Lidstrom over a 100 point EK, simply because Lidstrom would still be dominant defensively....He would still have his same game. He would still be the same player, EK would most likely be a Housley type...

You clearly don't understand (or haven't watched?) Karlsson game. The better he plays defensively, the more dangerous he is offensively.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad