What made Gretzky so good?

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
He had the greatest anticipation of where players were going to be on the ice and his hockey IQ was unparalleled.

He could also pick corners and change his shooting angles on his slap shot like no one else.

If I could sum up what I mean by his vision and anticipation watch this pass, utterly ridiculous:

I always laugh when the young guys say he wouldnt cut it in today’s game. He would still be the smartest guy on the ice today. Most elite players would see a couple moves ahead..... Wayne knew what was going to happen 10 moves ahead

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
His vision and hockey iq. He knew where everyone was on the ice. And where the puck is. All seconds in advance of when it happens. It was uncanny. People could score a lot on set plays; Gretzky did not need set plays.

Reactions: overg and Mbraunm

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Good:
Legendary IQ. Good skater; quick turns and pivots, faster than most players in the 80’s. Better shot than he gets credit for. Brought new ideas to the game (behind the net / full speed over the blue line, brake at the top of the circle, curl, hit trailer). Very creative compared to the rest of the league. Amazing offensive awareness, always seemed to know where the puck was going before anyone else, always put himself in the right position.

Bad:
Weak along the boards. Below average Strength & Balance. Below average in face offs (Messier & MacTavish had to take key defensive zone face offs).

What makes him so great is the way he thought the game, most of his peers played a very conventional way, he was completely different.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
1. Processing.
2. Passion. He LOVED the game 24/7
3. Elite Talent
4. Hockey IQ
5. Personality and attitude
6. Passing ability

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Then why weren't all players scoring 200 points a year when Gretzky was?

I think the question is rather whether today's best players would score 200 or even 300 points with that goaltending. Gretzky was the best of his time, but the game has developed quite a lot since.

Reactions: The Shadow

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I think the question is rather whether today's best players would score 200 or even 300 points with that goaltending. Gretzky was the best of his time, but the game has developed quite a lot since.

Developed? You mean rigid and predictable, right? Systems, set plays. Gretzky was put on this Earth to tear apart systems and set plays, and he did.

And he would.

Reactions: overg and Mbraunm

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Aside from the usual things that have been mentioned, there's something else Gretzky did that was unusual: He always pushed the puck to open ice if he was carrying it (i.e., not passing it). He rarely skated toward the net with the puck in stickhandling mode -- rather, he pushed the puck ahead and out of his own (and thereby, the defender's) reach, and chased it down.

This might not sound revolutionary, but I've never seen anyone but him do it so much. Most players will carry the puck in full control as a default, and will rarely put the puck well ahead of themselves. Of course, this reflects how non-physical he was, as it enabled him to avoid wrestling with defenders.

He just had really outstanding fundamental hockey skills. Glen Sather said he always had the puck in the 'sweet spot' on his stick. Kelly Hrudey said he was the best player at safely getting the puck out of the zone when killing penalties.

Incidentally, one odd thing about him (in his prime) was his stick. He used the heaviest stick in the NHL, with a very moderate curve. Brett Hull described it as "the worst stick in hockey".

The best description of Gretzky's game I ever heard was from Harry Neale, who said that Gretzky, playing on the ice, could see the game unfolding the same way Neale (or fans) saw it from the press box or the nosebleeds. In other words, he saw everything simultaneously developing in slow motion.

It's common, of course, to gifted athletes to be able to "perceive" fast motion in slower time than normal humans. But Gretzky, perhaps, had this ability in extremes, in addition to the other things.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I've never seen more than highlights from his career and I'm not here to question how good he was, I just want to know what made him as good as he was. Physically he looked like a shrimp, but he still dominated games. How?
I seen a magazine (forget which publisher) from 1979 that had him on the cover that said "is Wayne Gretzky too small for the NHL?"

Reactions: mulletmanofusa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad