What??? Luongo to Columbus??? Say it ain't so!!! (Rumor)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
There IS one option we haven't discussed here yet. Vancouver trades Lu to Columbus, but eats half his salary. Perhaps Luongo would want to be reunited with his old goalie coach?

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
I think Steve Mason can be a star in the NHL someday.. but he needs a change of scenery and so do we. Our team does not play with confidence in front of him. they did not show the effort they showed with Bob in net.

If we could trade Mason and a contract for Lou, mgmt will have to consider it.

A combo of Lou & Bob is likely to be pretty good goal tending, and we need that to win.

Absolutely disagree. Mason sucks, but we only have this shortened season left to deal with him. If we trade for Luongo and he continues to decline we're on the hook for a much longer term. We need to just take our lumps this year and be in the clear this offseason.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
There IS one option we haven't discussed here yet. Vancouver trades Lu to Columbus, but eats half his salary. Perhaps Luongo would want to be reunited with his old goalie coach?

Could work but bottom line is I don't think Lu wants to come here. And as a side note, if the Nucks would eat half his salary, I'm sure other teams could offer more in terms of a player(s). But a half price Lu would give the youngins' time to develop.

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
I'd rather see us play out the season, see what we have in Bob.

If we determine Bob's not the guy, look to sign a UFA goalie at an affordable price.

There are some decent UFA options this summer.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

They could pay his entire salary and I wouldn't want him. How does he help us? He doesn't make us good enough to make the playoffs. All he is does is maybe help us get a few more points and maybe keep us from getting a top 4 draft pick.

Last edited:

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
They could pay his entire salary and I wouldn't want him. How does he help us? He doesn't make us good enough to make the playoffs. All he is does is maybe helps us get a few more points and maybe keep us from getting a top 4 draft pick.

and make a loss look like a closer game(instead of 4-0, maybe it's 2-0, etc). I think the team needs to address it's scoring first imo. If we had any scoring ability, I wouldn't mind Luongo(which is funny because I hated him in Florida and hated him even more on the Canucks).

Also, in the new CBA, can you eat part of the contract?

Was this rumoured confirmed by anyone? As in, did anyone else also hear this on the radio.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
and make a loss look like a closer game(instead of 4-0, maybe it's 2-0, etc). I think the team needs to address it's scoring first imo. If we had any scoring ability, I wouldn't mind Luongo(which is funny because I hated him in Florida and hated him even more on the Canucks).

Was this rumoured confirmed by anyone? As in, did anyone else also hear this on the radio.

Short answer Yes

Long: see below

In the context of Player Trades, participating Clubs will be permitted to allocate the AA and related Salary and Bonus payment obligations between them, subject to specified parameters (“Retained Salary Transaction”). Specifically, the Club trading a Player may agree to retain a percentage of the SPC’s AA and related Salary and Bonus obligations for each of the remaining years of the Player’s SPC, up to 50% of the SPC’s AA. In each Retained Salary Transaction, the percentage allocation of the retained AA and retained Salary and Bonuses must be the same (i.e., the Salary and Bonus obligations as between Clubs would be allocated on the same percentage basis as the AA being allocated) and cannot be altered from year to year. So, for instance, if an assigning Club agrees to retain 30% of an SPC’s AA over the balance of its term, it will also retain an obligation to reimburse the acquiring Club 30% of the Player’s contractual compensation (Salary and Bonuses) in each of the remaining years of the contract. A Club may have up to a maximum of three (3) SPCs on its Cap per League Year as to which a portion of the AA and Salary have been retained in a Player
Trade, provided, however, that the aggregate amount of AA retained by a Club does not exceed 15% of the Upper Limit (e.g., 15% of $70.2 million or $10.53 million in Year 1; 15% of $64.3 million or $9.645 million in Year 2; or $12 million if the Upper Limit equals $80.0 million) in the aggregate for all such contracts in any one year. An SPC can be subject to a Retained Salary Transaction up to a maximum of two (2) times.
The NHL shall promptly disclose the amount of Retained Salary and Bonus obligations in every Retained Salary Transaction to the NHLPA.
In the case of one or more Retained Salary Transactions, and a subsequent SPC “buy-out” or termination such that the SPC is no longer in force, the resulting cash and cap consequences will be divided as between the Club parties to the prior transaction(s) on the same basis they originally agreed upon. In the case of one or more Retained Salary Transactions, and a subsequent Loan of the SPC, the prior Club(s) shall retain their portion of the SPC’s NHL cap charge that they agreed to retain for the balance of the Player’s contract (regardless of whether the Player is ever recalled), but will get the benefit of any reduced cash obligations to the Player during the time he is playing outside the League.
The Player shall be paid by the Club for which he currently plays (or most recently played for).

Up for more?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=58381063

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
They could pay his entire salary and I wouldn't want him. How does he help us? He doesn't make us good enough to make the playoffs. All he is does is maybe helps us get a few more points and maybe keep us from getting a top 4 draft pick.

You build (brick by brick) from the net out. We can't improve the goaltending immediately through the draft - that would take about four years. So we either do it by trade or free agency.

Candidly, I'm luke warm on Luongo - even if he WANTED to come here. But I also think it's possible we could do WORSE in free agency.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Pete Weber from Nashville continues to beat this drum.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
You build (brick by brick) from the net out. We can't improve the goaltending immediately through the draft - that would take about four years. So we either do it by trade or free agency.

Candidly, I'm luke warm on Luongo - even if he WANTED to come here. But I also think it's possible we could do WORSE in free agency.

True, but Luongo isn't the answer, IMO. I just see no reason to trade for him.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

There's a reason we drafted goaltenders back to back last draft. :sarcasm: There's no need to trade for Lu. Averaging 40 shots against is a offense/defense problem. You keep it down to 20-30 shots from the perimeter and we'll have all star caliber goaltending :P Jones, Shinkaruk Erne. If we could manage those 3 we'd be in a helluva position next year.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
We'd be foolish to bring in another albatross contract into this situation until its more fully sorted out. JD inherited everyone in the organization, give him a year or two for some shoes to drop before we go all in on something like this, let some bricks be laided by JD himself within the organization before we go out and take a leap here. The Years involved are just too much right now.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
We'd be foolish to bring in another albatross contract into this situation until its more fully sorted out. JD inherited everyone in the organization, give him a year or two for some shoes to drop before we go all in on something like this, let some bricks be laided by JD himself within the organization before we go out and take a leap here. The Years involved are just too much right now.

I agree with this, but I do expect the first brick to be a goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad