What??? Luongo to Columbus??? Say it ain't so!!! (Rumor)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
But my point was Lu has the hammer in deciding where to go. If Gilles and Howson make a deal, its not done without Lu's approval anyways.

Never in question.

By going to Toronto I was say the pressure might actually be less than here in Vancouver for Lu to win a cup, so he might actually fare better, even though he would be in teh eye of the storm in Toronto. He has already played in a canadian city, so he would be used to teh attention if he were to go to TO. He is a goalie, and goalies and Vancouver have had a rough ride the last couple of decades. You though Philly was bad on thier goalies? Even Burke said it was a goalie graveyard and that was when he was still the Nucks GM.

All I see is speculation. Not saying you are wrong but you can't form a conclusion with that level of speculation. While a discussion point, I would say that nothing remotely definitive can come from it.

The owners could actually bury Lu and his contract in the minors if they choose to do so.
Not really. They can't do that to hide cap space moving forward. I don't think they will buy him out, but you guys aren't in great shape, cap wise, next year.

Forget about what is happeneing with all the specualtion, what would be a fair trade between the 2 teams in your opinion if they were to make a deal?

I didn't think Brass/Mason was a bad start. We'll have to shed a contract. Then again Gilles indicated he was waiting for the other team to move a player. So, honestly, I have no idea what the deal would look like. This isn't the Nash contract, this contract from Luongo has some risk. I wouldn't give you much in the way of assets. The only reason I agreed to Brass is I'm not sold that he is part of the future of this team.

Personally, as I said in the Bob thread, this really doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Paisano*

Howson: "Hey, JD how about trading for Rober..."

JD: "NO!, now go back to your corner"
Better be careful, that will bring out the Howson police!

On the Luongo deal, Eklund brought up Columbus being a surprise contender about a week ago.

If it were straight up Mason for Luongo, I wouldn't have a problem with it. The money is a big difference but the way this team overpays on contracts, what else is new? Don't see it happening though....

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Better be careful, that will bring out the Howson police!

On the Luongo deal, Eklund brought up Columbus being a surprise contender about a week ago.

If it were straight up Mason for Luongo, I wouldn't have a problem with it. The money is a big difference but the way this team overpays on contracts, what else is new? Don't see it happening though....

Agree...

As for the OP, "It ain't so"

To be honest, and I'm admitting I may flipping a tad, we havn't seen Mason play this season yet. There is a chance he has matured, fixed his glove and is ready to play big league hockey.... It is possible...

Mason's next five starts might make or break his career...

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
Never in question.

All I see is speculation. Not saying you are wrong but you can't form a conclusion with that level of speculation. While a discussion point, I would say that nothing remotely definitive can come from it.

Not really. They can't do that to hide cap space moving forward. I don't think they will buy him out, but you guys aren't in great shape, cap wise, next year.

I didn't think Brass/Mason was a bad start. We'll have to shed a contract. Then again Gilles indicated he was waiting for the other team to move a player. So, honestly, I have no idea what the deal would look like. This isn't the Nash contract, this contract from Luongo has some risk. I wouldn't give you much in the way of assets. The only reason I agreed to Brass is I'm not sold that he is part of the future of this team.

Personally, as I said in the Bob thread, this really doesn't pass the smell test to me.

What part would be speculative? That Van is a goalie graveyard? Or that he might be better off in TO as it might be less pressure than here. "Might" is always going to be speculative word. I wasnt stating as fact. But what is fact is Van is a goalie graveyard. That part is known.

I wasnt aware that you cant bury contracts in minors anymore. My bad, I should have looked it up before. Know I know :) Vancouver is always going to be up against the cap. We are a cap team. The core players have all taken less money to stay as a team. The fact that the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler and Schnider are all locked up for good money is good. Having said that, their window to win the cup is this year or next year. After that the twins are UFA's.

Mason would not work here. I get that it would be moving a contract out, I just dont see why we would take him on, and given that this market is hard on goalies to begin with, I dont think he would survive is he goes into a slump. How many years left on Mason? Brassard could fit a need on the 3rd line once Kesler comes back. I would like that. Seems like a good decent young player with loads of upside.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Howson: "Hey, JD how about trading for Rober..."

JD: "NO!, now go back to your corner"

If only Vancouver wasn't shopping Luongo during the summer, and undoubtedly had conversations with Columbus (without Davidson being in the picture at all).

Unless you're going to suggest that Howson's question was going to be, "How about trading for Robert Frost's original writing of 'The Road Not Taken'? I have this first edition of 'Wuthering Heights' just sitting around collecting dust."

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
This rumor makes no sense, sounds like it originated with Eklund. JD is preaching patience, building brick by brick. This rumor goes against everything JD has been saying, and he is a straight shooter, so no this is not going to happen.

Besides, JD says that he relates to Mase, so I imagine JD will wait and see how Mase does in this shortened, contract year. Perhaps he takes Mase under his wing?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
This rumor makes no sense, sounds like it originated with Eklund. JD is preaching patience, building brick by brick. This rumor goes against everything JD has been saying, and he is a straight shooter, so no this is not going to happen.

Besides, JD says that he relates to Mase, so I imagine JD will wait and see how Mase does in this shortened, contract year. Perhaps he takes Mase under his wing?

What seems to always be lost in the mix is that Steve Mason is still only 24 years old. I understand that he's had three terrible years, but one has to remember that plenty of good goalies hadn't even played in the NHL until they hit 24.

I don't like the idea of resting our entire franchise on his shoulders, but in tandem with someone else (Bobrovsky) I still think there is value and potential there. Confidence is everything.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
What seems to always be lost in the mix is that Steve Mason is still only 24 years old. I understand that he's had three terrible years, but one has to remember that plenty of good goalies hadn't even played in the NHL until they hit 24.

I don't like the idea of resting our entire franchise on his shoulders, but in tandem with someone else (Bobrovsky) I still think there is value and potential there. Confidence is everything.

Still think this way now? :shakehead

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
What part would be speculative? That Van is a goalie graveyard? Or that he might be better off in TO as it might be less pressure than here. "Might" is always going to be speculative word. I wasnt stating as fact. But what is fact is Van is a goalie graveyard. That part is known.

Why would you ask what wasn't speculative and then say the word might was speculative? Your goalie graveyard, honestly, just makes me /yawn. I don't even see what that has to do with anything. It's not even worth contemplation in, well, anything. I'm not even going to entertain that "fact" in any rational discussion.

As far as the cap... blah, blah, blah, blah.... Honestly? You have 60 million in 14 players. You going to rub our noses in "we are always going to be a cap team" garbage? Talk about the problem created by the new CBA and not flaunt out your list of players. If you think you can round out your roster with 4 million, discuss that.

Mason doesn't work anywhere. If you think you are going to anything we actually want to give up, I will ask you to kindly avoid potential trade conversation. If our front office does it (give up something that we want to keep) I will lose respect for Davidson (I don't have any for Howson, so no harm there). If it was me, I probably wouldn't entertain the trade right now. But if I were to entertain it, I would give you a conditional 7th round pick. The condition being you don't get it if you finish anywhere in the top 14 in the West. Yes, that is how little I think of his contract. Unlike you, we probably aren't going to be a cap team. That further inflates his already inflated salary. I think he's a pretty good goal tender and I would like to have him. I could entertain the salary for 3 more years, but I can't really stomach that term. If he only had 3 more years, I would be far more interested and would move from my "I wouldn't want to give you jack for him" stance.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Still think this way now? :shakehead

One game. I stand by what I said ... and besides, where was his help? On the first goal, one of the other players was picking up his stick and didn't cover the guy who wound up scoring the goal.

Can't blame it all on Mason ... while I wouldn't say he was good, he did still stop 37 shots.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Luongo wouldn't have made a difference tonight. We would have lost the game if Mason, Luongo, or Bob was in net.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Luongo wouldn't have made a difference tonight. We would have lost the game if Mason, Luongo, or Bob was in net.

You see, I've seen many a good goalie pull out victories their team had no business winning. I've seen many a good goalie make a key save that gave their team a chance to get into the game. You see you don't want to do that to your goalie, but you will need it from time to time when the team decides to **** the bed.

Yes, we sucked up the joint. However, with a goalie making a couple of key saves, maybe we take the game into OT at 2-2 and pull it out in the SO.

As far as punk with the 1 goal analysis. It's amazing what can happen when you are down 2-1 going into the last two minutes of a game.

CBJFan19*

Jan 22, 2013
Heck, any goalie. Maybe the score would have been closer but regardless, it's hard to win when your team only scores once. 1-0 or 5-1, a loss is a loss.

yeah but its also hard to come back down 3-1, 4-1, etc
kinda a momentum killer knowing you need to score 4-5 goals in 1 period dontcha think?

CBJFan19*

Jan 22, 2013
Based on last nights game, when it was 2-1 or 5-1, team wasn't generating any offense at any time.

Like i said, hard to gain momentum to score 4-5 goals in 1 period
it wasn't 2-1 or 3-1 for that matter very long (10 Minutes)

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
Why? It would make more sense to sign someone like Sykora or something. We have a deep pool of goaltenders and a deep pool of defensemen and three first rounders. The team is rebuilding. Doesn't make sense to get a Lu and his contract at this point.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I'm sorry guys

I think Steve Mason can be a star in the NHL someday.. but he needs a change of scenery and so do we. Our team does not play with confidence in front of him. they did not show the effort they showed with Bob in net.

If we could trade Mason and a contract for Lou, mgmt will have to consider it.

A combo of Lou & Bob is likely to be pretty good goal tending, and we need that to win.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Hmmm, interesting conversation.

First off, the last two games, and also the third Detroit goal have involved some serious defensive break-downs which have allowed goals. I get the whole your goalie needs to come up big argument, but that aint going to happen most of the time. And I am not blaming the D on all of the break-downs as some have been due to forwards being woefully out of position.

As for Mason, if we could send him to Springy and let him work out his problems there, I would be all for it.

As for Luongo, I would take him in a heartbeat at the right price. Luongo's problems have always been his play in the play-offs. His problems have not been in getting his team to the play-offs.

At this point in our history, I would take a goalie that could at least help us get into the play-offs. What happens after that? Just getting there, at this point, would be outstanding!

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What did JD do with goaltending in St. Louis? It wasn't this.

Halak was acquired via trade from Montreal and essentially robbed them because they had just came out of the stanley cup finals and both Halak and Carey Price were RFA. They could only afford to resign 1 of them.

Elliot was a free agent signing and had never really played well for Ottawa or Colorado.

Basically, JD did not develop goaltending from within to grow into the team. If he did, it hasn't manifested itself into the league yet. The closest may be Ben Bishop but he hasn't established himself as an NHL goalie even though everyone claims he is ready. Bishop was drafted before JD was hired in St. Louis though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad