What??? Luongo to Columbus??? Say it ain't so!!! (Rumor)

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus
I was listening to Sirius/XM Radio's Center Ice this morning at work. On the morning show, "Hockey This Morning", they were talking about this "potential deal" that Vancouver GM Mike Gillis said yesterday... if you missed the quote...

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait." - GM Mike Gillis (via Puck Daddy; http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...roberto-luongo-deal-place-160314501--nhl.html)

Anyway, on the morning show, they had Pete Weber on and he said that "the unknown team is the Columbus Blue Jackets", and that the deal revolves around a forward and probably Mason. I've been hunting for a transcript of this, but thus far have been unsuccessful...

Say it ain't so!

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
It just doesn't make any sense to do this deal, especially now.

I mean, I guess I could live with Umberger + Mason for Luongo. But I don't think Luongo pushes the team into the playoffs. Why not see what Bob can do? If he sucks, get somebody without a team killing contract till one of Dansk/Korpisello/York/Forsberg arrives.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I think this is a case of Mike Gillis badly overplaying his hand all during the summer, and now trying to force a market where there is none. Every team that needed a goalie has done so with the exceptions of Toronto and Chicago, and Chicago just picked up Henrik Karlsson for a reason.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
It just doesn't make any sense to do this deal, especially now.

I mean, I guess I could live with Umberger + Mason for Luongo. But I don't think Luongo pushes the team into the playoffs. Why not see what Bob can do? If he sucks, get somebody without a team killing contract till one of Dansk/Korpisello/York/Forsberg arrives.

Agree whole-heartedly. I don't know if any of the goals against could be blamed on Bob, our problem is our lack of firepower. Getting Lou right now would be strange.. the only reason I could see us going for it is to capitalize on market value.. could we give it a shot and then use the amnesty buy-out if it doesn't work?

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Ummm OK I guess. But if this does come to fruition (it won't, it's a ridiculous rumor) for the love of all that is good and holy can we all pinky swear that we won't yell "LOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!1!1!!!" whenever he so much looks at the puck?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
It makes sense if Vancouver takes Mason. I'm guessing:

Jenner + young low end roster forward + Mason for Lou.

skimp

Dec 19, 2006
Ummm OK I guess. But if this does come to fruition (it won't, it's a ridiculous rumor) for the love of all that is good and holy can we all pinky swear that we won't yell "LOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!1!1!!!" whenever he so much looks at the puck?

Absolutely not.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
To take on that contract for a goalie who's past his prime (not washed-up, but past his prime), I'd be offering almost nothing of value. Vancouver needs cap space more than anything, and if they want anything of value, I'd be telling them to go elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I seriously doubt that a move would be made to pick up another starter when the new guy has exactly two games under his belt.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

Howson and Davidson seem obsessed with Jenner. I'd think they'd let Johansen would go before Jenner (still not very likely).

Vancouver needs scoring help now. I think Umberger, Brassard, Foligno, or Dubinsky make the most sense when you factor in a likely desire to even out salaries somewhat. I forgot that Umberger has a full NTC this season. No way do I see him being able to put aside his personal grudge against Kesler enough to waive his NTC. I don't think the team is going to give up on Dubinsky or Foligno a week into the season. So that really only leaves Brassard as the centerpiece of the package.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Jenner? LOL.

I second that, jenner ? Do you even watch hockey ? I see Jenner possibly in the mold of Ryan Callahan, and one of our most prized prospects. Why would we move Mason, when is contract his up after this season, to take on Luongo and his lifetime contract at Big money ? I could possibly see, Maybe, if we ship Mason, and unload Umberger and his bloated contract to them for Luongo ? But as it stands, we have Bob, Mason as a backup, and alot of talented Goalies in our orginization. (Forsberg, York, Dansk, Korpisalo)

bizzz*

The Jackets already went out and got Bob last summer :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikita Filatov

Jan 3, 2009
Columbus
Yeah Brass+Mason is the only thing that makes any sense. I'd love to see Umberger and Kesler break into a fight while skating on the same line/team though.
:laugh:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I believe we've already had this conversation, hon. :) Jenner isn't being traded for anything even distantly resembling "fair market value" anytime soon.

As for the main topic... I like Luongo, but I have two reservations:
1) The contract and trade price (Gillis has been asking a lot)
2) The prevailing theory that Bob fell apart in Philly because he was prematurely replaced as the #1.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

That's really funny. There is no way we would trade Jenner in that deal.

I don't know why we would do this. Bobrovsky is our starter and it should stay that way this year. We need to give him a chance to prove if he is our future goaltender or not.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Portzline was asked this by legendary Blue Jackets fan Konopkafan28. Said he had no clue if the Jackets were interested. Agreed it didn't make a lot of sense for them to trade for him.

(unable to copy and paste his response, sorry)

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
A trade like this makes no sense for us.
We have no reason in this (shortened) season to win that badly(by taking on a terrible contract). Sure, we would like to win games and make the playoffs, but I don't think goaltending will get us there. We need more offense for that.
Also, I thought the whole point was to test out Bobs(who has looked great) and Mason(who is yet to be tested) for the starting job, and that's fine, we got a shortened season, it won't be that painful.
I also doubt that Luongo would want to come here anyways.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I for whatever reason would not have a problem getting Luongo in the right deal. Bob has played outstanding for us the first 2 games, but let's not forget that he was nearly as bad as Mason last season. So I'm guessing he's more "hot right now" than "franchise goalie". let him show me 30 times this year and 60-65 times next year that he is the solution. For now I'm thrilled to see him playing so well, but if we could add Luongo (and give up Mason) I would consider it.
Also with so many back to back games and 3 games in 5 days that we will need 2 solid goalies.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Last year, I said on here that I'd be OK with trading for Luongo if it was for something like Mason + Methot.

Right now, I'd prefer to let Bob have a chance, but I'd probably pull the trigger if they were OK with Mason + Umberger. Umberger would have to waive is no-trade clause (the current hold up in the purported deal :)?). Umberger's contract is the only one that would help to offset the monster one that would come with Luongo. It would be funny to see Kessler and Umberger together again.

I wouldn't even do the Brassard-Mason deal as that is alot of salary coming our way. I don't see Vancouver wanting a defenseman like Wiz, which would be about the only other option to balance salary somewhat. Under no circumstances, would I want Jenner included in the deal.

All that said, I think the only reason Gillis 'leaked' this deal was to try and force Toronto's hand. Personally, I hope it backfires and Gillis is left with both Schneider and Luongo for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->