Line Combos: What Line Combos Would You Like to See?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Assuming that Haula was held out for precautionary measures...

Pominville-Granny-Parise
Coyle-Koivu-Zucker
Vanek-Haula-Nino
Cooke-Brodz/Carter-Fontaine

I wouldnt mind seeing these lines play out for a bit.

I'd support these for sure. Vanek - Niño looked to have a little mojo together against Boston

JRJRJRJRJR

Aug 9, 2014
Vantaa, Finland
Our powerplay setup is just stupid.

Suter at the top is not a threat for a one timer when getting a pass back from the guy at the half wall. This is a huge problem. He has to adjust and shift his body into position to even take a shot from the top of the blueline. This gives the opposition way too much time to set up and clear space/get in the lanes.

I want us to run an Umbrella type powerplay like this:

188fa3d2dd7cf4dbda38bdabd775c116c2af9f6c.png

Top D is Spurgeon. we need a right handed defenseman running the blueline if we are going to have Granny on the left side.

Granlund is the F on the left side
Pominville is the other D on the right side
Parise is the guy out front on the left
Vanek is the F in front of the net on the right.

This way everyone is in position for quick passes/shots. You need to be able to one touch pass/shoot from every position imo.

I don't like Suter on the PP and haven't for a long time. Spurgeon is playing very well this year and I think he can handle it.

So the plan is to let Spurgeon and Granny handle the puck most often while passing down to Vanek or Parise as they slide away from the net to open passing lanes through the slot. I think this setup puts everyone in a position best suited to their stengths. Of course the powerplay isn't to be stationary like the picture. the guys down low move in and out of the crease/slot as well as the top guys rotating around to find scoring/passing opportunities. That is another key, the powerplay cannot be stationary. That is one thing Suter is ********* at. He slows the play down way too much and initiates the static powerplay all the time with Koivu. Those two are powerplay killers imo.

This is exactly what the Wild are trying to execute, but its not just happening. I support your player choices on the powerplay tho. That would be nice.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You think it's more important to this team to get Haula going than Koivu?

I'm more concerned regarding finding a winger that works with Haula than finding a winger that fits with Koivu...Koivu can work whomever - at this point, it's hair-pulling insanity trying to find an offensive winger that works well with Koivu...

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Humongous Bad PP!

Our PP seriously needs to ****ing show up.

I have never seen anything like this before and these coaches have got to figure this **** out now.

Yeo has grown on me in a number of ways since the playoffs last year, which is cool, but he has shown nothing but to be a complete failure with the PP in his whole career.

I don't know how you fix this sort of thing, but MAN we suck! Think of the game-time pressure this would take off if we could fix it. How the **** did Richards do so well with the trash he had to work with - And Koivu was a big part of a successful PP then! Lemaire - Amazing. I get that Bruno is running it but Yeo still has the final say.

Ideas anyone? No one can deny our team has the skill in spades, so what do we do?

- I do not and have not liked Suter on the point, at all. He slows down the play way too much, allowing the other team to set up every time.

- Our PP in general still advertises what it is going to do almost every time.

- We suck at draws outside of Koivu.

Koivu, Granlund (halfwall), Vanek, Parise, Spurgeon (when healthy).
- I don't mind Brodin either and believe he will develop into a good PP point man. He's far quicker and more creative than Suter. Now if Suter could speed things up...

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
If we are running umbrella Vanek and Parise need to be the two front man with Spurgeon/Brodin or Dumba at the point. Granlund on the right hand side because he is left handed and then put Spurgeon, Dumba or Pominville on the otherside.
Second unit has Coyle and Nino up front with Koivu on the right and Dumba/Pominville on the left with Brodin or Suter at the point.
Strategy is to shoot the puck as much as possible on the net and if the chance comes pass trought the PK unit from right to left.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
This streak is so humongous long that I'm almost going to be disappointed when they finally score.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
what's the longest power play drought record?
lets go for that!
\

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
NHL record for consecutive power plays without a goal is believed to be Toronto with 51. Florida had something like 41 PP's in a row without a goal last december/january.

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
NHL record for consecutive power plays without a goal is believed to be Toronto with 51. Florida had something like 41 PP's in a row without a goal last december/january.

What about to the start of the season. We and Sabres have to be on the verge of breaking that.

I watched a Pens game a little while ago during Wild intermission and my god that powerplay was something else. Can't help but marvel it.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I love that we're right up there with a team that recently just had 10 SOG the whole game:facepalm:

Mostly, it's just sad! We're not on a cold streak, we're ****ing frozen in ice buried under the Arctic Circle!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What about to the start of the season. We and Sabres have to be on the verge of breaking that.

I watched a Pens game a little while ago during Wild intermission and my god that powerplay was something else. Can't help but marvel it.

The Wild are the ONLY team without a goal on the PP.

Sabres aren't in this conversation.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

Sabres scored one the other night.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Sounds like Vanek gets a shot on the top line.

So...guessing:

Vanek-Granlund-Pominville
Zucker-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Haula-Fontaine
Cooke-Brodziak-Carter

?

Assuming Cooke comes back... If he doesn't, Lord only knows.

I personally have zero faith we aren't about to see Stu Bickel's season debut on 4th line wing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino