Line Combos: What Line Combos Would You Like to See?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Granlund is far away from a "passenger". He just always gets the 3rd assist or manages to be the Selke-Granny by making goals happen in the other end by defending like a champ :D

I agree, Granlund's stats don't match his production this year. Multiple times he has made the play that sets up the scoring chance but it ends up being the 3rd assist.

J22*

He's barely on the PP anymore. Our coach plays favorites.

Technically he's the #1C, but his line doesn't seem to be deployed as often as the Koivu line, and even moreso with his unit on the PP. The Koivu line gets top PP minutes. Why? Well, the best I can come up with is because #Yeolo.

You guys are aware that NHL.com keeps track of things like TOI right?

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
Assuming that Haula was held out for precautionary measures...

Pominville-Granny-Parise
Coyle-Koivu-Zucker
Vanek-Haula-Nino
Cooke-Brodz/Carter-Fontaine

I wouldnt mind seeing these lines play out for a bit.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013

Pominville-Granny-Parise
Coyle-Koivu-Zucker
Vanek-Haula-Nino

These are pretty much my ideal lines too.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
As far as the powerplay, I just want to see FBJ getting more time than Koivu, and Pommer off the damn point.

As a suggestion, couldn't we have a unit with Koivu behind the net, and Pommer working the left half wall?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
We have to put better shooters to the left and right of Suter than Pominville and Koivu. Otherwise, Suter just walks the line and wrists shot into traffic over and over again.

Put Dumba to his left, Vanek on the halfwall to his right, Koivu downlow, and then Parise in front of the net.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

Pominville-Granny-Parise
Coyle-Koivu-Zucker
Vanek-Haula-Nino

These look good I'd just consider the Koivu line a 3rd line and the Haula line a 2nd line in those configurations.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
That Parise-Granlund-Pommer line is so good...really would hate to break it up.

Vanek and Koivu can't play together, that's pretty clear. I would like to see Vanek-Haula-Nino for a few games to see how they do.

Zucker-Koivu-Coyle...I like Zucker getting more ice and it does add speed to the Koivu line. It still looks like Zucker is motoring all over the place and bouncing off the opposition kind of independent of his line though.

JRJRJRJRJR

Aug 9, 2014
Vantaa, Finland
We have to put better shooters to the left and right of Suter than Pominville and Koivu. Otherwise, Suter just walks the line and wrists shot into traffic over and over again.

Put Dumba to his left, Vanek on the halfwall to his right, Koivu downlow, and then Parise in front of the net.

Really? Vanek on the half-wall? Do you REALLY even know anything about Thomas Vanek?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It's been nice to see Fontaine contribute lately, albiet on the 4th line. Any chance we see him get an increased role?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It's been nice to see Fontaine contribute lately, albiet on the 4th line. Any chance we see him get an increased role?

The only way I see him getting an increased role is if there is an injury to someone ahead of him.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Why are we NOT having our _hands down_ best playmaker with our best goalscorer on the same line? By that I mean Vanek - Granlund.

Imagine these lines.

Parise - Koivu - Pominville
Hard work ethic, defensive coverage off the charts with Parise - Koivu. Pommer, when needed can put the puck in the net.

Good luck trying to pry Parise and Pominville away from Granny....won't happen.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Our powerplay setup is just stupid.

Suter at the top is not a threat for a one timer when getting a pass back from the guy at the half wall. This is a huge problem. He has to adjust and shift his body into position to even take a shot from the top of the blueline. This gives the opposition way too much time to set up and clear space/get in the lanes.

I want us to run an Umbrella type powerplay like this:

188fa3d2dd7cf4dbda38bdabd775c116c2af9f6c.png

Top D is Spurgeon. we need a right handed defenseman running the blueline if we are going to have Granny on the left side.

Granlund is the F on the left side
Pominville is the other D on the right side
Parise is the guy out front on the left
Vanek is the F in front of the net on the right.

This way everyone is in position for quick passes/shots. You need to be able to one touch pass/shoot from every position imo.

I don't like Suter on the PP and haven't for a long time. Spurgeon is playing very well this year and I think he can handle it.

So the plan is to let Spurgeon and Granny handle the puck most often while passing down to Vanek or Parise as they slide away from the net to open passing lanes through the slot. I think this setup puts everyone in a position best suited to their stengths. Of course the powerplay isn't to be stationary like the picture. the guys down low move in and out of the crease/slot as well as the top guys rotating around to find scoring/passing opportunities. That is another key, the powerplay cannot be stationary. That is one thing Suter is ********* at. He slows the play down way too much and initiates the static powerplay all the time with Koivu. Those two are powerplay killers imo.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Umbrella makes sense if the guys are doing a good job of getting open, which I'm not convinced they are. By the same token, if your half wall player doesn't have a quick shot, it's easy for the other team to play the pass and shut down the lanes. So you essentially have a guy standing around with the puck.

That's what I see when Koivu's driving the PP...they give him his little passing lane to Suter, and the two play hot potato because every other passing/shooting lane is closed.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Nobody should be trying to get Koivu going other than himself. The team is trying to win games, not pad Koivu's stats. Yeo has to make the call regarding who plays together, how much ice time they get, and who they play against.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I'd just like 5 guys to go out there and make it a fluid play. Don't commit to any one strategy or formation. Current units go out making a static play. Should be free flowing and unpredictable. We have the skill to do it, have the players make their own decisions. Chemistry could even develop more than knowing we're playing ****ing bubble hockey every power play.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
If they don't score on their next PP chance I want to see a unit of Carter/Brodzy/Cooke

With Prosser and Falk on the points.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
If they don't score on their next PP chance I want to see a unit of Carter/Brodzy/Cooke

With Prosser and Falk on the points.

God that looks ugly.

And with our luck that's probably how we finally get a powerplay goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille