HF Habs: What Kind Of Impact Does Slafkovsky need to have for rebuild to be successful?

If Slafkovsky tops out as a Nathan Horton, was this rebuild a failure?

• Yes

Votes: 59 41.8%
  • No

Votes: 82 58.2%

• Total voters

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It depends on how many more high picks (top 5) the Habs are going to get. If they are going to try to be a bubble team starting next season and try to get back to the playoffs, i.e., the “rebuild” is essentially over, then he’s going to have to be good…really good. In the above scenario, he’d need to be a ~40g, 40-50a player who also brings physicality and is not a liability defensively. In other words, he’d need to become a borderline franchise level player for the rebuild to be successful.

If the Habs tank another year or two and get lucky and end up with Celebrini or Eiserman, and some other high end prospect, he could bust and it wouldn’t matter much.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
What rebuild? the altering of the lineup? if they win a cup with or without him contributing,that's all that matters.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Slaf is just a component. The rebuild itself won't be successful even if slaf hits his ceiling, yet everything around him busts.

In isolation, you hope for him to develop into hulking top line winger.

Reactions: malcb33

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
50pts for a 1st overall is not good and I would not be happy. you need more than that imo

I touched on this in a previous thread but we really need to lose the mindset that a 1OA ought to achieve a certain target.

It would be fine if all draft classes were created equal, but thats obviously not the case.

Reactions: Goldthorpe

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I would set the floor at not taking out Caufield’s knee at practice. Even Mario needed a few players on the Pens to take them out of the crap hole so I’d say Mario ++ as a theoretical ceiling to the question.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
If we don't end up with a couple more top 5 picks, we will need him to be a 35-40g and 75pt player.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
horrible draft, I don't see Cooley topping out with less than 60pts

I'm just mainly saying that how the draft class shakes out should always play into the evaluation of a selection.

You can say that it would be a bad pick if Slaf topped out with 50 pts, but if no one else in the draft is doing much more than that, he'd be contextually a really good selection.

Teravainen is a really good selection for the 2012 draft, but he'd not be looked as favorably in the 2015 class.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Slavkovsky is gonna be just fine. In 2 years time, we will be all talking about how much we need to pay him for an 8 year term.
Gotta believe!!!!
I really do believe in him. The only problem I have is I hope the kid does not get concussion issues. If he keeps his head up the sky is the limit for the guy.

Concussions are not funny and even when things seem like they are alright sometimes they aren't and leave lingering issues. The kid cannot continue to get rocked like that. When it comes to skating shooting and passing im not worried about him its really the speed of proccessing the game with his head up that I see as the only thing holding him back right now

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Then you trade Suzuki I guess. Could probably get a nice package for him.

I mean, if you're missing the playoffs for 5+ years in a row, you've made massive mistakes in your rebuild. It should not take that long to be able to compete for a playoff spot. And that's without considering that the Canadiens were not very good for years before Hughes arrived and got Suzuki, Caufield and Guhle out of it.

No, expecting this team to miss for several more years would be a failure. I don't think that's what HuGo or St.Louis envision. Suzuki has already talked about not wanting to lose for much longer. After this year I expect the Canadiens to be very aggressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad