HF Habs: What Kind Of Impact Does Slafkovsky need to have for rebuild to be successful?

If Slafkovsky tops out as a Nathan Horton, was this rebuild a failure?

• Yes

Votes: 59 41.8%
  • No

Votes: 82 58.2%

• Total voters

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
7ttrjt.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: bopeep

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Some feel that way, I understand how the Horton component may feel arbitrary but the Habs direction thread and the Reinbacher threads were filled with people claiming we messed up the rebuild with our last 2 drafts.
Okay so if we operate on the comparable assumptions....let's say Slaf is a Horton style and Reinbacher is a McDonagh style.

But let's say.....

Suzuki is Bergeron
Caufield is Gaudreau
Guhle is Weber
Hutson is Fox
Mailloux is Sergachev
Dach is ,,,,,,
Newhook is ......

I would say our rebuild is pretty good.

I think we are heading in the right direction. Some of these prospects may hit peak comparables. If that happens, we are gold. It is not all incumbent on Slaf or Reinbacher hitting max potential.

And for the record, Slaf IMO is still the best pick from 22 and although I would have taken Michkov, I am cautiously optimistic that Reinbacher will hit.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Depends on what Reinbacher becomes. If Slafkosvky becomes Nathan Horton and Reinbacher becomes Adam Larsson, then the scouts need to get fired because we wasted two years trying to get top 5 picks and neither is an elite piece.

As for the rebuild itself, it's going to depend on the other guys since Hughes implied that we got the skill up front already.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Okay so if we operate on the comparable assumptions....let's say Slaf is a Horton style and Reinbacher is a McDonagh style.

But let's say.....

Suzuki is Bergeron
Caufield is Gaudreau
Guhle is Weber
Hutson is Fox
Mailloux is Sergachev
Dach is ,,,,,,
Newhook is ......

I would say our rebuild is pretty good.

I think we are heading in the right direction. Some of these prospects may hit peak comparables. If that happens, we are gold. It is not all incumbent on Slaf or Reinbacher hitting max potential.

And for the record, Slaf IMO is still the best pick from 22 and although I would have taken Michkov, I am cautiously optimistic that Reinbacher will hit.
Man .....I don't wanna burst your bubble or anything...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: barbu and SOLR

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Man .....I don't wanna burst your bubble or anything...:laugh::laugh::laugh:
No need to! The whole premise of this thread was based on a what if comparable putting Slaf in Nathan Horton shoes. My angle here was to point out, If Slaf becomes Horton, it could mean jack shit depending on what everyone else becomes.

I do think the rebuild has a chance at success and I've outlined the path of it before. I will see it as a success if we become cup contenders. In order for us to become cup contenders we need.....

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield - to become 70-90 pts players on a first line
Newhook - Dach - **** - to become 60+ point players on a second line
Beck - to become a solid 2-way third line centre
1 or 2 of Roy, Farrell, Mesar, Kidney, Heinemen to hit max potential.

We need someone from our D corps to step into a top 10 defencemen in the league role. Probability of that happening in order...

Hutson
Guhle
Reinbacher
Mailloux
Barron
Engstrom
Xhekaj

The first three have the only real chance, obviously if one of them reached that height it would a huge score. Of the remaining D, we need them to keep growing as a unit. If you consider a top pair D to be the top 64 D in the league (32 teams), then Hutson, Reinbacher, Guhle and Mailloux all have that potential. Barron, Engstrom and Xhekaj could all reach top 128 potential (ie middle pairing) while playing on our bottom line.

We need Monty, Fowler, Miller or Dobes to become a legit top half of the league starter.

A lot of things need to happen IMO, but all are not out of the realm of possibility. I hope that some or all of these things happen. In terms of impact players.....I believe we are now only one away....and that is a top six winger to slot in with Newhook and Dach. Does Roy, Farrell, Mesar, Kid or Heine take that step? Time will tell, but I don't see them reaching that height.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I think Slaf is very important to the rebuild, even though I usually don’t put much pressure on first round picks, but after waiting 40 years for the first overall pick, he better become a special player. Within 5 years or so, I would like to see a 80+ point player who can impact a game with skill and with size. In order for a rebuild to be successful, we need to hit on the first round picks, especially when you have the first overall pick. The organization has missed on so many first round picks over the years and it’s contributed to a team that wasn’t as nearly as good as it should have been and that’s being kind.

Reactions: PhysicX

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Slaf is very important to the rebuild, even though I usually don’t put much pressure on first round picks, but after waiting 40 years for the first overall pick, he better become a special player. Within 5 years or so, I would like to see a 80+ point player who can impact a game with skill and with size. In order for a rebuild to be successful, we need to hit on the first round picks, especially when you have the first overall pick. The organization has missed on so many first round picks over the years and it’s contributed to a team that wasn’t as nearly as good as it should have been and that’s being kind.

Expectations should be high but the #1 OA narrative is flawed. Slaf goes near 5 spot if he was in this last draft. Who's the best from Slaf, Nemec, Cooley, Wright, Jiricek? Only time will tell but we have to remember that all of them were projected to be very good 2nd tier talent with a chance they could be top tier.

80+ pts for a winger like Slaf is going to depend on the talent around him. Especially at center.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Expectations should be high but the #1 OA narrative is flawed. Slaf goes near 5 spot if he was in this last draft. Who's the best from Slaf, Nemec, Cooley, Wright, Jiricek? Only time will tell but we have to remember that all of them were projected to be very good 2nd tier talent with a chance they could be top tier.

80+ pts for a winger like Slaf is going to depend on the talent around him. Especially at center.
Did you get brainwashed also? :laugh:

Slafkovsky is an Unicorn.

I'm gonna take the gamble that he reaches that Unicorn potential!

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Brainwashed or Reasonable? I value Slaf but I'm not putting that kind of pressure on him.
It doesn't matter what we're debating here.

They wouldn't have picked him first overall if they didn't think he had superstar potential!

So I don't see the point in tempering expectations...

Reactions: PhysicX

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It doesn't matter what we're debating here.

They wouldn't have picked him first overall if they didn't think he had superstar potential!

So I don't see the point in tempering expectations...

Nah, they picked what they felt was BPA and sometimes BPA (even at 1) is not superstar potential. We got to be realistic here. Bob said it best heading into that draft year... None of them are sure shot top tier talent but they have a chance. Listen to Bob

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Nah, they picked what they felt was BPA and sometimes BPA (even at 1) is not superstar potential. We got to be realistic here. Bob said it best heading into that draft year... None of them are sure shot top tier talent but they have a chance. Listen to Bob
If he manages to reach his potential he'll be a star IMO.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
It wasn't a great draft year to have the 1st overall 1-5 were all fairly similar. And Slaf likely would have gone between 5-9 this past year which was stacked.

In a normal year he probably goes 3-5 and if that player becomes a 30-30 forward with a good forecheck + size that's alright.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Depends on what Reinbacher becomes. If Slafkosvky becomes Nathan Horton and Reinbacher becomes Adam Larsson, then the scouts need to get fired because we wasted two years trying to get top 5 picks and neither is an elite piece.
Only if we took these players over available picks that became elite though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Unless theres a forward that pans out in a franchise player, yes.

Or unless Reinbacher/Guhle/Hutson or whatever develop into Pronger/Niedermeyer/Beauchemin.

So were literally a lotto win away from a succesful rebuild!

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Cant limit yourself to the top 5 in 2022, Slaf was ranked 5th behind two players that went top 15. Id say they need to outperform the top 15.
And forwards only because.... Imagine for a moment that the only elite level players developping from last year's draft turn out to be defensemen. Now in such a scenario imagine further the Habs last year correctly choosing a Defenseman as 1OA because BPA.... the uproar it would have been lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad