HF Habs: What Kind Of Impact Does Slafkovsky need to have for rebuild to be successful?

If Slafkovsky tops out as a Nathan Horton, was this rebuild a failure?

• Yes

Votes: 59 41.8%
  • No

Votes: 82 58.2%

• Total voters

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Reactions: Habs

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Most habs fans are casuals who want to win now every year. Of course they will get mad when our first overall pick is not McDavid , just comes with the territory. Not everybody is really dialed into the rest of the NHL like we are on these boards. Can't blame somebody who dosent follow hockey and just watches the habs if they are dissapointed , now claiming to know hockey on a Forum and coming in with hot takes like the guy is a total bust when nobody from his draft class has played a game is certainly a whole other thing, happens alot around here

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I mean, if you're missing the playoffs for 5+ years in a row, you've made massive mistakes in your rebuild. It should not take that long to be able to compete for a playoff spot. And that's without considering that the Canadiens were not very good for years before Hughes arrived and got Suzuki, Caufield and Guhle out of it.

No, expecting this team to miss for several more years would be a failure. I don't think that's what HuGo or St.Louis envision. Suzuki has already talked about not wanting to lose for much longer. After this year I expect the Canadiens to be very aggressive.
Sure, that still leaves probably one more top tenish picks and then 3-4 more in the teens, yeah?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Sure, that still leaves probably one more top tenish picks and then 3-4 more in the teens, yeah?

That stuff is hard to predict but I'm betting on one more low finish this upcoming year and then for HuGo to start making moves with the aim of a playoff spot. Who knows what will happen arou d is/who is going to be available. But if the next off-season is similar to this one, I'll be sorely disappointed and start having doubts even if I think HuGo have been great this far. You just can't be losing forever.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It has to yield some results,

Sure, it would be disappointing if he doesn't have a long, solid career. But for perspective, we have to keep in mind that there was no clear cut #1 in this draft class. There was no game changer in this crop. Sometimes, there are drafts like this, and it's not comparable to other drafts where you have a clear cut first overall pick, or a potential phenom.

Reactions: LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That stuff is hard to predict but I'm betting on one more low finish this upcoming year and then for HuGo to start making moves with the aim of a playoff spot. Who knows what will happen arou d is/who is going to be available. But if the next off-season is similar to this one, I'll be sorely disappointed and start having doubts even if I think HuGo have been great this far. You just can't be losing forever.
I honestly think we're not trying to win until 2025-2026. Many contracts will end that year. Hoffman's contract ends this year. Armia, Dvorak, Savard and Allen contracts end summer 2025. Also after 1st july 2015 there will only be 2 millions remaining to give to Price in base salary with a cap hit of 10.5 millions so his contract will be moveable in the summer of 2025 after his big last signing bonus is paid.

We'll start trying to compete for real in the 2025-2026 season when we will have lot of cap space. Until then we will develop and keep trying to trade bad contracts.

Reactions: Scriptor

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I honestly think we're not trying to win until 2025-2026. Many contracts will end that year. Hoffman's contract ends this year. Armia, Dvorak, Savard and Allen contracts end summer 2025. Also after 1st july 2015 there will only be 2 millions remaining to give to Price in base salary with a cap hit of 10.5 millions so his contract will be moveable in the summer of 2025 after his big last signing bonus is paid.

We'll start trying to compete for real in the 2025-2026 season when we will have lot of cap space. Until then we will develop and keep trying to trade bad contracts.

Dvorak and Savard are useful players whereas I don't think Armia and Allen make enough to really handicap you.

My hope is that after this season, we start seeing concrete moves to supplement the core and take the next step (a probable starter, etc.)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I mean, if you're missing the playoffs for 5+ years in a row, you've made massive mistakes in your rebuild. It should not take that long to be able to compete for a playoff spot. And that's without considering that the Canadiens were not very good for years before Hughes arrived and got Suzuki, Caufield and Guhle out of it.

No, expecting this team to miss for several more years would be a failure. I don't think that's what HuGo or St.Louis envision. Suzuki has already talked about not wanting to lose for much longer. After this year I expect the Canadiens to be very aggressive.
Year after this one I expect us to be pretty competitive if all goes well.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

There's no doubt that Hughes won't be making any huge splash until his bad contracts to veterans are in order, and that might even mean being stuck with Gallagher's contract on the books because it was so badly structured that there is a Trojan Horse Cap impact in any year you decide to buy out the contract. Even buying out the contract in the final year (2026-2027), which would normally represent 2.17M per year for two years, if the money had been evenly doled out, actually cost 3.833M instead of 6.5M in the first year of the buyout! That's almost 60% of the Cap hit in that first season of the buyout. Sure, it falls to a Million and change in the second and final year of the buyout, but the first year's savings is marginal, IMO.

If the Cap goes up to 95M for the 2025-2026 season, as projected with anticipation of the players' debt to the League being paid out at the end of this upcoming season, Hughes could be sitting pretty in the offseason just prior to that year.

He'll actually have the financial means to go with his ambitions!

Basu's musings that Montreal should consider signing Nylander as an UFA if he doesn't sign with the Leafs is pure malarkey. Not that Nylander isn't a good hockey player, but because he'll be 28 for the first year of his likely overly long UFA contract that will, at the minimum, take him through age 34, if n to 35.

Also, Nylander is looking to earn North of 10M. It's just too early for such a move from Hughes, IMO, two off-season two early, may be three.

Add Nylander at 28 in three years to players like Suzuki at 26, Dach, Caufield and Newhook at 24, Slafkovsky at 21, Anderson at 31, Guhle and Mailloux at 23, Reinbacher and Hutson at 21, Matheson at 31, and Xhekaj at 24 years of age.

Montreal still remains a very young team, but several of its best prospects will have just grown out of the gangly teenage phase and Nylander would be playing with a greater number of prospects reader to have an impact for a greater number of years.

IMO, Nylander is too soon.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
I'm just mainly saying that how the draft class shakes out should always play into the evaluation of a selection.

You can say that it would be a bad pick if Slaf topped out with 50 pts, but if no one else in the draft is doing much more than that, he'd be contextually a really good selection.

Teravainen is a really good selection for the 2012 draft, but he'd not be looked as favorably in the 2015 class.
some players bust and some selected higher end up great, i get that. But different draft classes aside, in its simplest form 50pts for a 1st overall is bad...

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Was there ever a draft class with zero 70+ points player in it? I doubt it...

Having a quick look at a few draft classes 1996 only had 3 - 70+ point seasons.

Brière had two with 95 and 72 points. J-P Dumont had one with 72 points. That draft classs only had 11 - 60+ seasons with Brière and Dumont accounting for 8 of those. 2012 has had 4 - 70+ point seasons so far.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Was there ever a draft class with zero 70+ points player in it? I doubt it...

It'd be rare, I'm not trying to be scientific, I'm just trying to put context to it.

Not every draft is the same, so you can't just say this would be disappointing if a 1 OA only did this, draft classes can be strong or weak.

Can't select someone who isn't there.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
OK but if there's no 70 point players from the draft class, how would it be bad?

You can't select a player who wasn't there.
maybe I'm just bad at explaining myself and we can agree to disagree..but being bad for so many years and finally landing a 1st overall, and they top out at 50 pts lmao.
how can people be happy with that ?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
maybe I'm just bad at explaining myself and we can agree to disagree..but being bad for so many years and finally landing a 1st overall, and they top out at 50 pts lmao.

You can be mad at being unlucky but depending on the context, you wouldn't be mad at the pick.

It sucks but it's a lottery and not every draft year is created equal. But even with McDavid, you have to build a team.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't think anyone will be happy if Slaf becomes a perennial 50 point player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
OK but if there's no 70 point players from the draft class, how would it be bad?

You can't select a player who wasn't there.
Exactly. It’s great the Pittsburgh drafted Lemieux number one but he wasn’t in the 22 draft.

The whole idea of rebuilding is a SUSTAINED effort to accumulate good young talent. You don’t draft one guy and the rebuild is over. And yes it would’ve been nice to get a Bedard… but we need to keep the rebuild mindset until we prove that we can win consistency enough to know tagged we can eventually compel for a cup.

I don’t know what Slaf’s going to be but I think he’ll at least be a decent player. The physical tools are there for him to be much better than that too.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
You can be mad at being unlucky but depending on the context, you wouldn't be mad at the pick.

It sucks but it's a lottery and not every draft year is created equal. But even with McDavid, you have to build a team.
I fully understand that and agree, but 50pts is STILL disappointing, nothing you've said changes that...il move on now

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He can have the same impact of Andrei Svechnikov for sure 100%

Like I said before with Cole Caufield, same impact of Alex DeBrincat (he is more spectacular than DeBrincat)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad