What is your unpopular opinion or hot take about the Wild?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
What are some of your controversial takes about the Wild? Mine are:

If Joel Eriksson Ek doesn't seem to be taking the next step to being a top 6 center by the TDL next season. I think the Wild should seriously consider trading him. My thought process on this is:

a) I think a shut down 3rd line center is a luxury and not a necessity to building a contender. I am under the assumption that the Wild will not be contenders next year. If some team is willing to give a big package to get Ek we should explore it.

b) Expansion draft flexibility, at this point it looks like the Wild will protect 8 skaters. I assume and many others assume Ek will be one of those skaters. Obviously if he is traded that opens up a slot. This could be used for Greenway, a players that we get back in a trade, or even open the possibility of extending and protecting one of the rentals if they really knock our socks off.

c) I believe his trade value is the highest out of all the forwards who aren't untounchable. I know some want to trade Greenway, but I'd imagine that there would be a lot more callers for Ek and better offers than Greenway. If the Wild could get a first, high-end prospect, plus. I would jump for joy.

d) I'll admit this may be my weakest point, but Ek may be replaceable. Rossi was described by some scouts to be the best defensive forward in the draft. Rossi may be the player that can be a shutdown center on top of being a playmaker. I know have two Shutdown centers is a nice problem to have, but if Rossi can shut down top lines while also scoring on them. Ek is a bit redundant.

My second one, I think Foligno is horribly overrated and it would be a mistake to give him the C. If rumors were true in the past that teams may of offered the Wild a 1st to get him we were stupid to turn them down. Of course I don't know if that was true or if Russo was speculating that a team could offer the Wild a 1st. I would even trade for just a 3rd so we don't risk extending him.

Reactions: GuerinUp

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

If Joel Eriksson Ek doesn't seem to be taking the next step to being a top 6 center by the TDL next season. I think the Wild should seriously consider trading him. My thought process on this is:

a) I think a shut down 3rd line center is a luxury and not a necessity to building a contender. I am under the assumption that the Wild will not be contenders next year. If some team is willing to give a big package to get Ek we should explore it.

b) Expansion draft flexibility, at this point it looks like the Wild will protect 8 skaters. I assume and many others assume Ek will be one of those skaters. Obviously if he is traded that opens up a slot. This could be used for Greenway, a players that we get back in a trade, or even open the possibility of extending and protecting one of the rentals if they really knock our socks off.

c) I believe his trade value is the highest out of all the forwards who aren't untounchable. I know some want to trade Greenway, but I'd imagine that there would be a lot more callers for Ek and better offers than Greenway. If the Wild could get a first, high-end prospect, plus. I would jump for joy.

d) I'll admit this may be my weakest point, but Ek may be replaceable. Rossi was described by some scouts to be the best defensive forward in the draft. Rossi may be the player that can be a shutdown center on top of being a playmaker. I know have two Shutdown centers is a nice problem to have, but if Rossi can shut down top lines while also scoring on them. Ek is a bit redundant.

My second one, I think Foligno is horribly overrated and it would be a mistake to give him the C. If rumors were true in the past that teams may of offered the Wild a 1st to get him we were stupid to turn them down. Of course I don't know if that was true or if Russo was speculating that a team could offer the Wild a 1st. I would even trade for just a 3rd so we don't risk extending him.

i like that ek take, 2nd take i could go either way with. Everyones heard my controversial take on suter on the 1st PP. lol and as it sits rn thats the only one i have other than i dont think we shouldve extended brodin, i wouldve rather traded him than dumba

Reactions: HotDish

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Mine is probably that our Centers this year aren't any worse than they were last year, despite the loss in "Big Names".

Boils down to

1) JEE is probably a bit better then himself last year
2) Bonino provides more overall value than Staal at this stage.
3) Koivu was a liability at 2C, and while a fine 4C probably isn't a big upgrade on what Sturm/Johansson/Bjugstad can provide.
4) We basically never had a productive and stable 2C, and at worst that doesn't change with Johansson/Rossi/Bjugstad.
5) Rossi is a possible xFactor that could make our C situation much better than last year.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Mine is probably that our Centers this year aren't any worse than they were last year, despite the loss in "Big Names".

Boils down to

1) JEE is probably a bit better then himself last year
2) Bonino provides more overall value than Staal at this stage.
3) Koivu was a liability at 2C, and while a fine 4C probably isn't a big upgrade on what Sturm/Johansson/Bjugstad can provide.
4) We basically never had a productive and stable 2C, and at worst that doesn't change with Johansson/Rossi/Bjugstad.
5) Rossi is a possible xFactor that could make our C situation much better than last year.

agreed, all we are missing is staals production offensively. which with a couple dice rolls could be made up fairly easily

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I don't think any quality C is a luxury given our C situation, whether it's 3C or not. If Rossi turns out great, and we trade Ek we still only have 1 top 9 Center for the long term. Leaving us to try fill that internally with prospects who aren't ready, or externally with UFAs who are likely worse and more expensive than JEE.

Barring a massive jump in points, that would really only come if he got PP time (which he won't), he's not going to cost anything outrageous as a RFA in the stagnant cap world.

As we saw that last expansion draft, the Market for trading players that need to be protected will be barren, and it won't be any better post expansion draft as Seattle will have 5-10 guys they are looking to offload for futures.

Last edited:
Reactions: lordtrillson

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
agreed, all we are missing is staals production offensively. which with a couple dice rolls could be made up fairly easily
And Staals offense we're really only missing from the PP.

Bonino has been just as productive or more at 5v5 from a 3rd line roll as Staal has been as our defacto 1C.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Zuccarello isn't as bad as most think, and didn't have the completely useless season last year that a lot of people continuously claim.
i only claim zucc isnt what we need not that hes useless he takes up a vaulable roster spot & 6 mill & an exp spot. hes kind of a utility rw instead of a sniper.

my unpopular take well the wild imo are the weakest team down the center in the nhl. add talbot may not be better than dubnyk and we have another mild season. im super excited kaprizov & fiala both could light it up and i still heart our D core.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
my unpopular take well the wild imo are the weakest team down the center in the nhl. add talbot may not be better than dubnyk and we have another mild season. im super excited kaprizov & fiala both could light it up and i still heart our D core.
How is that an unpopular take? It's probably literally the only thing absolutely everyone in the hockey community agrees on.

Reactions: HotDish

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
My hot take is that JEE should center Fiala and Kaprizov to start the season. I don't know if it would work, but he's skilled enough to not hinder them, and defensively responsible enough to make the line work. If we had a true #1 center it would be a different story, but as it is...

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
By making a bad team competitive with his defensive scheme, Jacques Lemaire did more damage to this franchise than any coach we’ve had.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
My hot take is that JEE should center Fiala and Kaprizov to start the season. I don't know if it would work, but he's skilled enough to not hinder them, and defensively responsible enough to make the line work. If we had a true #1 center it would be a different story, but as it is...

I don't know if this is such a hot take anymore :laugh:

Reactions: BagHead

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Kaprizov won’t score 20 goals .
Wild won’t make the playoffs.
Get out the torches and pitchforks.
I really hope I’m wrong.
The Wild not making the playoffs is not unpopular. I would argue majority of the fan base doesn’t expect that. I’m in the group that thinks they could but wouldn’t put money on it.

if anything I’d be ecstatic if they could get a high draft pick.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
Wild make the playoffs, putting money on it. Goaltending upgraded to league average. Solid blueline with talent in waiting. Offense upgraded with speed and skill. How can they not? There is a first round exit though. Rossi gets ROY and 60 points.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
Wild make the playoffs, putting money on it. Goaltending upgraded to league average. Solid blueline with talent in waiting. Offense upgraded with speed and skill. How can they not? There is a first round exit though. Rossi gets ROY and 60 points.

So D+1 Rossi is as good as D+2 Petey? Not gonna be unpopular but that's definitely red hot.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
giphy.gif

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad