Movies: What is your favorite "adult" kids movie?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Watership Down was all kinds of ****ed up for a children's movie. I second the Transformers movie as well, so many dead autobots in that movie. Some of those fish robot things were creepy as well.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
those heads!

Secret of Nimh, Black Cauldron, does Roger Rabbit count or was it kinda made for both?
The wheelers too!

FL04GpB.jpg

49b786e9aa3bfd0dc255e239f897f4e4.jpg

latest

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I loved The Hobbit growing up, but the scariest part to me was Gollum. The appearance and the voice gave me nightmares for years. Like, into my adult life kind of nightmares.

I forgot about Gollum. You're right; his appearance and his voice were both very creepy and the thought of being trapped in the dark with him, with him grasping around for you, is the stuff of nightmares. In fact, that's basically the plot of the horror film The Descent. Maybe those filmmakers were scared as kids by The Hobbit.

Return to Oz scared the hell out of me.

Yeah, that's always creeped me out, too. I probably would've liked the movie a lot more if it hadn't been so creepy. Filmmakers sure had a gift in the early 80s for making very unsettling characters without even meaning to. I guess that it had to do with the advancements in puppetry and animatronics that made things just lifelike enough to take seriously, but also just crude enough that you knew that there was something "off" about them. There was also no PG-13 rating yet, so anything that wasn't quite horrific enough for 'R' got foisted on on us kids as 'PG' movies.

I put it on for my 4 year old nephew all the time...

That doesn't make Child's Play a kids movie. It makes you a terrible uncle. Now, if he were 10yo, it'd make you Best Uncle Ever... but 4yo? That's borderline child abuse.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
What I mean is movies that are/were made for kids, but that had some serious undertones, a bit of violence/blood, villains that were actually kinda scary when you were little, a bit of sex appeal, characters that actually died and stayed dead etc etc.

The three that jump out instantly for me are The Neverending Story (Gmork scared the hell out of me as a kid)
Its kind of weird, but neverending story is the first time i was aware of horrible acting. I was just a kid but the fact that the kid was such a horrible actor ruined the movie for me. Changed the channel everytime it came on.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Doesn't fit your criteria, but when I read the threat title these movies came to mind:

Shrek
ET
Harry Potter franchise(mostly the darker ones fit your criteria more)
Fantastic Mr Fox

After thinking about your criteria, I'd probably suggest/consider:

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Gremlins
Monster House
Paranorman(maybe?)

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Damn...this takes me back. Loved "scary" kids movies as a kid. Probably due to my parents not letting me watch anything above PG-13.

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - The headless horseman scared the living hell out of me every single time. Sunday night Wonderful World of Disney showed this every October and it was awesome every time.

Karate Kid - When I was young, it was the story of a kid who couldn't just walk away from a fight and instead got his ass beat throughout the whole movie. Scared me.

Monster Squad - The gold standard for sleepover VHS rentals. Creeped us out every time. Kids taking on real actual movie monsters. Can't beat that.

Fantasia - I still have nightmares of tiny brooms attacking me.

Snow White - the evil stepmother scared the crap out of me. Never ate a bruised apple after that. And the beast she transforms into. Holy crap.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
The wheelers too!

FL04GpB.jpg

49b786e9aa3bfd0dc255e239f897f4e4.jpg

latest

Ahh yes, the wheelers. I remember thinking they're like the bad boys from Pinocchio where they were turned into donkeys but in this world they were turned into human hybrid muppets.

Also
powderoflife-1434724960.gif

I was also always disturbed by the hen finally laying an egg and the bag guy eating it. Like cool, it poisoned him, but HE ATE YOUR CHILD!!!

Monster Squad - The gold standard for sleepover VHS rentals. Creeped us out every time. Kids taking on real actual movie monsters. Can't beat that.

Fantasia - I still have nightmares of tiny brooms attacking me.

Snow White - the evil stepmother scared the crap out of me. Never ate a bruised apple after that. And the beast she transforms into. Holy crap.

Wolfman's got nards! i loved monster squad

The only Disney movie that upset me was Bambi. your mother is shot to death, your father who basically wasn't in your life comes back but he's kind of a jerk, people want to kill you, raging forest fires. I don't even know what the plot was.

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Why is Watership Down considered a children's film to begin with? Just because it's animated?

Because it was animated, had bunnies, and was very poorly marketed.

The book is one of my all time favorites (and a staple of High School English classes).

I have a soft spot for the film, even though it carries none of the charms of the book. Most I know who like the book hate the film.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
And for all the parents who took their kids to see it ...

watershipdown.jpg

Coincidentally (or maybe not), here's the cover of Richard Adams' very next novel after Watership Down:

220px-Shardik_cover_1974.jpg

It kind of makes you wonder if the whole world misinterpreted Watership Down as a cute children's book while the film better reflected the tone that Adams was going for :eek:.

Because it was animated, had bunnies, and was very poorly marketed.

I have a soft spot for the film, even though it carries none of the charms of the book. Many I know who like the book hate the film.

The book is one of my all time favorites (and a staple of High School English classes).

It'd be really nice to have a new adaptation, one that replaces the odious first one and captures the charms of the novel. Imagine if Disney were to do a 3D-animated version. It could be challenging, but they could handle limited bunny deaths like they did Simba's father in The Lion King and make chase scenes exhilarating, rather than suspenseful and scary like the 1978 version did.

I think that there's a lot of potential to make a film that appeals to kids as a cute bunny tale and to adults as metaphor and social commentary. For example, any religious or ethnic group that's ever been oppressed and forced out of their homes to seek refuge in a new land can see themselves in the bunnies. It's particularly timely now, with the global refugee crisis. Imagine the opportunity for parents to help their kids relate to immigration issues through the analogy of the bunnies. The point is that there's potential for a film that's more than just a cute bunny story. It's too bad if the content and reception of the 1978 version has scared off proper adaptations.

EDIT: Ah, the BBC is remaking it as 3D-animated miniseries. Thanks for that link, kdb. That's fantastic. I'm particularly thrilled that it's the BBC, so that it has a British feeling to it (since the author was British, so they were British rabbits in British gardens).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad