OT: What is your ethnicity?

What is your ethnicity?

• Total voters

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Im not sure what generation Canadian I am but it’s way back there. A mix of Scottish, Irish, English and maybe Native (records were lost but it’s a family rumour). But mostly European. My last name is Scottish.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamzarocks

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Not from Toronto but saw the thread and thought why not. Anyways half-Euro and half-Middle Eastern here.

Was always confused for how to answer the census because of that lol. I just check "white" and "West Asian" since I'm technically both.

Last edited:

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Romanian. Came here really young. Got my citizenship when my parents did (without writing a test, as I was under the age limit).

Never know how to answer the generation question which is usually asked after people are surprised I wasn’t born here :laugh: technically 1st gen as I wasn’t born here, but also technically 2nd gen as my parents are 1st gen?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm like 6th generation Torontonian on one side, and like 10th or 11th on the other. So, while I guess, I'm of mostly British descent (and cheer for the English National team in Soccer), but my cultural background is really Torontonian. No one in my family really has a connection to Europe or outside of the city outside of some relatives who moved to BC or Alberta.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Mix of the English isles here, some scot some Irish and a little English though a solid majority is in the Irish portion of my heritage...similar to a lot of the people out here on the East Coast

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Irish & English mostly. Some German, French, and Scottish.

My Grandfather who was born and raised here used to call it "Trana", and would cheer for the "Trana Maple Leafs".

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
My mother's side is Ukrainian - her parents were both born and grew up on Ukrainian farms in Manitoba (not really near each other), and both ended up in Windsor. My father's side is Scottish - his mother was born and raised in Scotland, and met my grandfather (who grew in Saskatchewan) in WWII (I believe), then came over here, and moved around a lot being a military family (my grandfather, not my father).

Reactions: Metroid

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
A mixture of Dutch, German, English and Scottish. Although my super Dutch last name makes me super Dutch. And my love for chocolate sprinkles on buttered bread.

Reactions: Lauro

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Why are people of Scottish, Irish or English descent but never Welsh - probably a good thing mind :laugh:
My mom was born in England and I have dual citizenship so I consider myself Canadian and English, but my great grandfather on her side was from Swansea and moved to England. Part Welsh I guess.

Dad was born in Toronto but both parents were from Poland. Didn't grow up speaking Polish or with much in the way of Polish culture.

Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
wow, Europe dominating. Expected to see a bit more of a mix with today's demographics among the young sports fan.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Where is white WOSP category? or white French category? Well I guess everyone is mixed when you look at ancestry reports. But how far back are you going to make this determination? I don't consider myself Euro in da slightest but generations back yes I guess my dads dad dad dad was a Euro. and my moms mom was Euro.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Where is white WOSP category? or white French category? Well I guess everyone is mixed when you look at ancestry reports. But how far back are you going to make this determination? I don't consider myself Euro in da slightest but generations back yes I guess my dads dad dad dad was a Euro. and my moms mom was Euro.

What is WOSP and isn't white French Euro? We have a ton of rabid south Asian hockey fans in Alberta but they must be all Oiler fans:)

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Dad from Ukraine, mom born in Belgium, but her parents from Ukraine as well.
Kozak power baby!

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
This is a very complicated question for me. Race, ethnicity, nationality, and culture are sometimes not the same thing.

Charlize Theron is the best example I've ever come across to explain this. She's white, which is her race. Her ethnicity is Afrikaner, being from Dutch settlers to Africa, with Afrikaans being her first language. And she was born in South Africa, which is her nationality.

I have a similarly mixed story, and was not born in Canada, but Japan. One Japanese parent, one Austrian. I spent time in Europe growing up before coming to Canada at 10 years old. I have a hard time explaining this to others, so I normally make a joke and move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Dad from Ukraine, mom born in Belgium, but her parents from Ukraine as well.
Kozak power baby!

Not sure if my Ukrainian grandparents parents were born in Canada or not, my grandparents were born post WW1 in Manitoba, pretty sure at least one of their parents was from Ukraine. Wish I knew the language, as even my Mom only knows the basic. I just remember hearing my grandparents argue in Ukrainian!

Reactions: Metroid

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
No option for South American? My family is mostly Dutch, Ukrainian and Irish with some French and British sprinkled in. Was born in Amsterdam and moved here as a baby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad