OT: What is your ethnicity?

What is your ethnicity?

• Total voters

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
My great grand father came here from Germany but other than that I am very much Canadian. My mom's family name is Scottish and my Dad's is English

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Awesome!
Yeah, I grew up doing the whole Ukrainian dancing, stuck going to Ukrainian school on Saturdays... I don't speak it as much since my wife isn't Ukrainian (well her dad was quarter) but more Polish. Slowly losing it but I can get by
You guys do the two Christmas' too? That was the best part growing up as a kid haha

Never really did the two Christmas' - my grandparents weren't very forward with their Ukrainian heritage - my grandmother went to the local church, but my grandfather couldn't be bothered. She made awesome Ukie food. They never really spoke it at home after my mother was born (has 3 siblings), and my Mom regrets not knowing the language more. My Mom did the church thing a bit when she was young, was even given an accordion, and knows how to play it. My wife has been trying to do the two Christmas kind of, but she has no Ukrainian heritage, but really likes what my family has talked about. Windsor used to have quite a large Ukrainian community, but they've all either died off or got married to non-Ukrainian families and that seems to be fading away here. I did recently donate the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox bible that I ended up with (my grandmother's brother was an orthodox priest) to local used book shop - the church didn't want it. It was written in Cyrillic

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Never really did the two Christmas' - my grandparents weren't very forward with their Ukrainian heritage - my grandmother went to the local church, but my grandfather couldn't be bothered. She made awesome Ukie food. They never really spoke it at home after my mother was born (has 3 siblings), and my Mom regrets not knowing the language more. My Mom did the church thing a bit when she was young, was even given an accordion, and knows how to play it. My wife has been trying to do the two Christmas kind of, but she has no Ukrainian heritage, but really likes what my family has talked about. Windsor used to have quite a large Ukrainian community, but they've all either died off or got married to non-Ukrainian families and that seems to be fading away here. I did recently donate the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox bible that I ended up with (my grandmother's brother was an orthodox priest) to local used book shop - the church didn't want it. It was written in Cyrillic
Ah gotcha!
Yeah , I feel like I should try to keep my language skills up, but hard because I just have my parents/one grandma and bro to talk to and they don't use it with me really unless they wanna say something so my kids/wife ppl in public don't hear (not bad stuff just like about other things)
Food is definitely the best part of the xmas just for that I say it's worth trying to keep part of the tradition up. Also, not sure if you're familiar with Malanka, that's a party and a half.. damn covid tho :-(
Cool about Windsor, didn't know about the amount of ukies out there!

Reactions: Cams

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
No surprise, but it’s disheartening to see how overwhelmingly white a demographic this is, in such a multicultural part of the country. Here’s hoping the sport can continue promoting itself towards people of different races, genders, sexualities, etc.

Reactions: Plat87 and X66

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Awesome!
Yeah, I grew up doing the whole Ukrainian dancing, stuck going to Ukrainian school on Saturdays... I don't speak it as much since my wife isn't Ukrainian (well her dad was quarter) but more Polish. Slowly losing it but I can get by
You guys do the two Christmas' too? That was the best part growing up as a kid haha
Haha this was my life too!
Only January 7th was always stressful, super long church services and my grandparents would freak out if we didn't so much as stand up straight. English Christmas was always the fun one lol

Reactions: Metroid and Cams

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
No surprise, but it’s disheartening to see how overwhelmingly white a demographic this is, in such a multicultural part of the country. Here’s hoping the sport can continue promoting itself towards people of different races, genders, sexualities, etc.

It might just be a reflection of the board itself.

Hockey is a pretty white sport overall, but I know plenty of visible minorities that love it, and they might be on other forums like Reddit.

The other thing is, hockey's price point is pretty much out of reach for many immigrant families, and that's where a lot of people gravitate towards basketball and soccer.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
There are a ton of posters on here who have said that they are Indian or Pakistani or Punjabi I feel like they must not be responding to the poll

There isn't an option for Pakistanis. "Indian" doesn't cover Pakistanis as Pakistan is a different country. Indian should probably be replaced with "South Asian"

The geographical region Punjab spreads across both countries, there is a state called Punjab in India and Pakistan.

Reactions: nuck and leafsfan5

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Indian, but some European genes somewhere in the past. My grandfather and his father both had blue eyes. I have a lot of blonde/red/brown hairs in my beard, which is otherwise almost entirely black. Born in Toronto raised in Mississauga, reside in Brampton.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Haha this was my life too!
Only January 7th was always stressful, super long church services and my grandparents would freak out if we didn't so much as stand up straight. English Christmas was always the fun one lol
Ya church sucked when I was a kid. Masses were waaaay to long.
When I got older my friends and I would go to midnight mass hammered. We didn't distrup anything, it was just more fun. Lol we would only stay small portion and then leave and continue to drink. Amen.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
It might just be a reflection of the board itself.

Hockey is a pretty white sport overall, but I know plenty of visible minorities that love it, and they might be on other forums like Reddit.

The other thing is, hockey's price point is pretty much out of reach for many immigrant families, and that's where a lot of people gravitate towards basketball and soccer.

Yeah, the barrier to entry is extremely high and I still think hockey culture is pretty toxic. It’s such a shame because it’s probably the most exhilarating and electrifying sport that exists...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hockey is insanely expensive, and most non-white immigrants are only 2nd or 3rd generation coming from places where Hockey isn't a popular sport, and most 1st generation immigrants of all backgrounds aren't particularly wealthy (there are obvious exceptions).

Like, just look at the barriers to entry. House League alone is pretty expensive once you factor in equipment (and replacing equipment for a growing kid every other year at a minimum), let alone trying to get your kid on a AAA travel team and Leafs tickets are a fortune. Most have to pick it up through road hockey and watching on TV. Growing up, I played and went to about 4 to 8 Leaf games a year (since the full season lockout I haven't had access to tickets and ticket prices has risen astronomically). Until recently, Raptors tickets were much more accessible, and also a much easier sport to play recreationally and on a travel team. Hockey is always going to have significant issues until you see more visible minorities in the upper-middle-class and above. And, even then if the parents of said kids aren't particularly interested they may not have an interest in those types of expenses.

Out of the 4 sports teams in Toronto, Hockey is so far and away the most expensive sport to get involved in is going to create barriers of entry, which is going to carry over to developing new fans. Not that you need to have played hockey or seen it live to love it, but it sure helps.

Reactions: kk87

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
4th gen Canadian dad side is Scottish, we thought my moms side was Irish until my Aunt visited Ireland and couldn't find any heritage stuff because turns out they were kicked out of Scotland and went to Ireland after. Not sure how you get kicked out of Scotland but apparently my family did it
You are most definitely Scots/Irish my friend.Be proud.:thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad