What is up with Alfie?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Why would he have to be on a 2-way?

In the made up scenario, I believe for the difference in salary between the NHL minimum and AHL maximum if you only want to pay him 250,000 as the op suggested otherwise he'd keep his NHL salary but even so he has to go through waivers to be sent down even if it's a book transfer and he never plays 1 minute.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
He thinks he's a legend. Too bad he left the one city that actually gave a ****. Good riddance you Favre wannabe. He can have fun watching his kids beat the leafs in the playoffs on their playstations. We all know he couldn't do it in real life.

bitter much?

Alfie's a legend in this town still, whether you like it or not.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Disagree. "Legends" need to give a minimum of 150% to the town they spent 95% of their careers in order to gain that title, Alfie apparently only gave 147.6%

It's technical. There's math involved.

Yeah, if you don't cut your heart out and leave it on the steps of city hall, you're basically a traitor. Guess I was wrong. :sarcasm:

Mr_Squeaks

Poor Impulse Control
Jul 2, 2006
Ottawa
Personally, I don't care anymore if he ever comes back to Ottawa in any capacity. He chose to leave, and has stated that if he plays even one more year it will NOT be for us. I'm thankful for the years he was with us, and had a lot of fun, but he's clearly done with us. I just can't sit here pining for him like a dumped highschooler with abandonment issues.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He's only a legend in the hearts of those who still hold him dear, others accept the move, and have moved on.

The city, like all cities, has moved on.

Sports entertainment athletes are consumed in time (see Spezza, Phillips, Neil, Alfie) unless they bring championships, or save drowning cat children from a burning church boats.

The hurt lays not with those who are bitter at his departure, but rather those who staunchly support his tenure after he jilted our sorry *****.

He has moved on and is happy with his decision, for him and his family, I suggest we all do the same and let go, at the very least :)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
bitter much?

Alfie's a legend in this town still, whether you like it or not.

That speaks to how little legends have come through here.
I'm also worried about how much he would demand for his next one day contract. "Oh you wanted to give me a million for a year I said I wasn't even gonna play. But then I decided to play it. So now that I'm almost nearly broken down. How about a huge contract yeah? Yada yada I know you're broke show me the money". Whatever Alfie. He will have lots of fun reclaiming some taxes when he moves back into Canada. All about the dough.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
That speaks to how little legends have come through here.
I'm also worried about how much he would demand for his next one day contract. "Oh you wanted to give me a million for a year I said I wasn't even gonna play. But then I decided to play it. So now that I'm almost nearly broken down. How about a huge contract yeah? Yada yada I know you're broke show me the money". Whatever Alfie. He will have lots of fun reclaiming some taxes when he moves back into Canada. All about the dough.

I'm not bitter. I was nearly jumping for joy when he left.

These two posts seem to contradict themselves.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
These two posts seem to contradict themselves.

Didn't like him in the first place. I just stated what a (insert expletive of choice) he was being. I was mad at the way he acted. I didn't necessarily dislike the end result. Would rather have traded him though rather than lose him to free agency.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
A one day contract in this situation feels really chinzy, gimmicky, fake.

If it was a Ray Bourque situation, where he left at the deadline for one last chance at the Cup, and signed a 1-day deal with the Bruins, that would've been cool.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
18, 3 , 11, 6 and 39 are all going to be in the rafters in some alternate universe where the Hossa trade never happened and hasek never got hurt at the Olympics and we won back to back cups.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
A one day contract in this situation feels really chinzy, gimmicky, fake.

If it was a Ray Bourque situation, where he left at the deadline for one last chance at the Cup, and signed a 1-day deal with the Bruins, that would've been cool.

The difference to me is that this organization is 20+ years reborn into the league and despite 1 year removed (possibly 2), when you think of the hardest working player and dedication to this team you still think Daniel Alfredsson.

This fanbase is still relatively young so perhaps a lot of the current fans weren't on board prior to our cup run, but the impact he had on this team and the community is definitely deserving of giving him the chance to retire in a Sens sweater.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It's a good thing Selanne didn't take his time at his old age to decide whether he would play or retire after a season..

Yeah, Joe "The Worst Teammate Ever" Sakic was a selfish ****** for doing that. I can't believe Selanne did the same thing! Clearly all of Sakic's bad influences rubbed off on Selanne that time Teemu did the Avs a favour and signed for considerably under market value to try and win a cup.

Selanne & Sakic, what a bunch of douchenozzles. So selfish!!!

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
The difference to me is that this organization is 20+ years reborn into the league and despite 1 year removed (possibly 2), when you think of the hardest working player and dedication to this team you still think Daniel Alfredsson.

This fanbase is still relatively young so perhaps a lot of the current fans weren't on board prior to our cup run, but the impact he had on this team and the community is definitely deserving of giving him the chance to retire in a Sens sweater.

When you think of the Ottawa Senators you think Daniel Alfredsson. Now for worse as well as for better.

It will take a few more years as the process has already started, but Erik Karlsson will push Alfie to the background in Sens history/

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
When you think of the Ottawa Senators you think Daniel Alfredsson. Now for worse as well as for better.

It will take a few more years as the process has already started, but Erik Karlsson will push Alfie to the background in Sens history/

I'm a fan of Karlsson but he has still a long ways to go. He might leave after his current contract and then what? I hope he stays and becomes the next true impact on this team/community that Alfie was, but if he decides to leave then expect the same treatment that Alfie in this thread is getting.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, Joe "The Worst Teammate Ever" Sakic was a selfish ****** for doing that. I can't believe Selanne did the same thing! Clearly all of Sakic's bad influences rubbed off on Selanne that time Teemu did the Avs a favour and signed for considerably under market value to try and win a cup.

Selanne & Sakic, what a bunch of douchenozzles. So selfish!!!
I'm not sure what your trying to say. But are we comparing joe Sakic. And teemu selanne. To daniel alfredsson?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He is in that their decision to play or retire at their old age is similar? What's the problem? Are you not reading the thread or you just looking at posts to make arguments out of nothing?

I would just me more inclined to wait on decisions from cup winners

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad