Line Combos: What is the Senators' top line?

Senator's top line?

• Total voters

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't really think we have a top line. Clearly we had the Norris line last year and when healthy they were pretty dominant. DeBrincat comes in, he's a top line player. Giroux has been a top line player for most of his career

I think all top 6 guys will be pretty close in ice time

Some teams have big physical shut down type D. Others have smaller puck mover D as top pairs. We have a potential line to play against both types of top pairs, leaving that next line to play against less than top pairs

Either line can be a top line.

It's a terrific problem to have and it'll be interesting to see how DJ coaches given he's got options he's never had

And I can't help but think that Timmy could go parabolic this year

Reactions: DJB and Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I don't really think we have a top line. Clearly we had the Norris line last year and when healthy they were pretty dominant. DeBrincat comes in, he's a top line player. Giroux has been a top line player for most of his career

I think all top 6 guys will be pretty close in ice time

Some teams have big physical shut down type D. Others have smaller puck mover D as top pairs. We have a potential line to play against both types of top pairs, leaving that next line to play against less than top pairs

Either line can be a top line.

It's a terrific problem to have and it'll be interesting to see how DJ coaches given he's got options he's never had

And I can't help but think that Timmy could go parabolic this year

DJ has spent his entire head coaching career trying to match what other coaches dictate - for the first time he’s in a position to put who ever he wants on the ice and let the other team scramble for a matchup to limit the damage.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I don't really care much about the idea of figuring out a top line. If Debrincat plays with Stutzle, I just hope they find chemistry. The Norris/Tkachuk/Batherson line works well because each of those players have a unique style and role that when blended together becomes greater than the sum of the parts. That's what I'm hoping will happen for Stutzle and Debrincat if they end up on a line that regularly plays with each other.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Interesting article on TSN regarding Top Left wing rosters in the NHL.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I read that article. It's not like tsn to throw much credit Ottawa's way, certainly not something Yost does.

I think by just about anyone's definition, we've got two first line quality left wingers. That alone should place us above average

Go thru the league, how many teams would you swap two left wingers for even up?

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I read that article. It's not like tsn to throw much credit Ottawa's way, certainly not something Yost does.

I think by just about anyone's definition, we've got two first line quality left wingers. That alone should place us above average

I can't really make rhyme or reason of the rankings.

I think by any metric Ottawa's left wing is well above average, especially when you consider the price tag of around 15 million.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

The article was light on assessment data and seemed to be almost done off-the-cuff like many videos do rather than in-depth.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
that second line is quite undersized. Hopefully they are ok defensively. Stutzle is still learning that side of the game (although is still decent defensively for a 20 year old).

Reactions: Cosmix

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
A lot of pressure on Stutzle and DeBrincat to put up big numbers this season

Damned if they do, damned if they don't

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Interesting if put a lot of stock into GAR. Mike Amadio had a higher GAR than Batherson and Brown for example. Formenton had a GAR of -4.9, 15th worst for forwards with minimum of 150 TOI.

Reactions: Sweatred

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I thought Stutzle played a lot of wing so I figured Norris has more experience playing center ... but that is just my perception without seeing many Ottawa games. If that is incorrect than I suppose it a good to have toss up.
Stūtzle switched to centre around the third week of November last year I’d say, after losing a bunch of centres to injury.

Interesting if put a lot of stock into GAR. Mike Amadio had a higher GAR than Batherson and Brown for example. Formenton had a GAR of -4.9, 15th worst for forwards with minimum of 150 TOI.
There’s a thread on the mains, about it, Yost is getting hammered.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
that second line is quite undersized. Hopefully they are ok defensively. Stutzle is still learning that side of the game (although is still decent defensively for a 20 year old).
Debrincat and stutzle would have been 6th and 4th for hits among senators forwards last year. This line will be able to play physically.

Far more physical than debrincat-strome-kane.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’ll take the 95 goals from our LWs and put it up against any of the other “average” groups.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I’ll take the 95 goals from our LWs and put it up against any of the other “average” groups.

For sure, Yost's objection to that being the players defensive metrics aren't good while simultaneously ignoring the impact of team play.

Taylor Hall has been an upper echelon player defensively some years, bottom of the barrel other years, without really any real rhyme or reason. It's fun to compare the 16/17 devils with the 19/20 devils. For players who were on both teams, 16/17 is one of there better years and 19/20 is one of their worst in terms of EVD as measured by GAR.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Debrincat and stutzle would have been 6th and 4th for hits among senators forwards last year. This line will be able to play physically.

Far more physically than debrincat-strome-kane.

Yep. DCat is short but he's thick and sturdy and with more physicality than most 5'7" 40 goal scorers. As a Hawks fan who has watched all of his games, he is a player that continues to work on his game to improve. I would say the one thing he still needs to improve/correct is he has a tendency to try cross ice breakout passes in the d-zone that too often get picked off. That may be partially due to him always looking to get the puck to Kane and Kane always looking for the breakout pass rather than coming toward DCat to make it a more safe pass.

Reactions: Micklebot

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I voted Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson right now; however, I think the Debcrincat - Stutzle - Giroux line is pretty close right now and will be better soon once Stutzle matures, gets more experience and establishes chemistry with the other 2.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I voted Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson right now; however, I think the Debcrincat - Stutzle - Giroux line is pretty close right now and will be better soon once Stutzle matures, gets more experience and establishes chemistry with the other 2.
guess on how long that will take?

I think Debrincat is our top LW and Stutzle will take another step and pass Norris as the top C...
Batheson vs Giroux .. is closer . I am going with Batherson there being able to advance his game while Giroux will inevitably slow down.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
guess on how long that will take?

I think Debrincat is our top LW and Stutzle will take another step and pass Norris as the top C...
Batheson vs Giroux .. is closer . I am going with Batherson there being able to advance his game while Giroux will inevitably slow down.

Might be 6 months to two years. :)

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Right now I'd say its the Brady Norris Bath line. They've established themselves as a line that can score against top defensive pairings.

Stu's line looks promising, but its hard to say until we've seen them play. When we got Bobby Ryan, I was hyped because I thought he'd score 40g beside Spezza...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad