Line Combos: What is the Senators' top line?

Senator's top line?

• Total voters

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I voted the Norris line figuring he has more experience to handle the opposing team's best d-pairing more than Stutzle at this point in his career playing center.
Debatable. Norris missed almost have the season down the stretch where Stutzle had to face the best dman without having Batherson and even Tkachuk on his line

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
With todays standards which ever line can produce over a point per game will be our top line.

60-65 point players are not top line players anymore, for playoff standard teams

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought Stutzle played a lot of wing so I figured Norris has more experience playing center ... but that is just my perception without seeing many Ottawa games. If that is incorrect than I suppose it a good to have toss up.
Norris definitely has been playing center more, Stützle only started playing center this past season where as Norris played center right from the start, but the difference is pretty small, we're essentially talking about one shortened season's worth.

Norris definitely has a big edge at faceoffs, I think he is a bit more defensively responsible. I don't see either having the edge in terms of fighting through oppositions top defenders though.

Having said that, Stützle's projected line has a lot more experience. DeBrincat has almost as much experience as Tkachuck and Batherson combined, and Giroux has more experience than the entire line combined and then some. Giroux is also very good at faceoffs so he can take the draw until Stützle gets up to snuff. So if experience is the determining factor for which line is #1, I think the relatively small deference between Norris and Stützle is offset by the giant gap of their winger's.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
ZNcjUZq.jpg

1659364182611.png

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
We don't even know who will play on which line, so arguing about which one will be better makes no sense at this point. It is a nice problem to have though, especially with great two way players like Pinto and Formenton behind, who could bump into the top 6 when needed.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Really hope the 4th line this year is at the bottom in the league for ice-time.

With the top 9 the sens are going to ice its the best way to keep them happy and reap the benefits. Hopefully DJ feels the same.

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
They could also (sometimes) go with 3 (possibly very good) lines, something like:
BT - JN - MJ
Forms - TS - CG
AD - SP - DB.

I think they would be a nightmare to play against, at least for some teams.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They could also (sometimes) go with 3 (possibly very good) lines, something like:
BT - JN - MJ
Forms - TS - CG
AD - SP - DB.

I think they would be a nightmare to play against, at least for some teams.

I do like the idea of rolling 3 very good lines and it's a possibility with the depth, especially with Pinto being the 3C but please keep Formenton far away from Stutzle.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Stu will have to grow this season as a playmaker.

Last year he was guilty of doing too much often, like break into the O zone and then skate a bunch and eventually turn the puck over.

Playing with DC he’ll have to learn to skate to a spot and then pass the puck. If he’s playing with CG then he’s going to have to let G have the puck to make plays as well.

Practicing together to see who has chemistry is going to be so important. We may find that G gels better as a playmaker with Brady and Norris, while Batherson fits better with Stu and DC.

We have 6 legit top line players right now and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a big shuffle between them as the coaching staff and players themselves figure out who they have chemistry with.

Hell we may see Stu between Brady and G (Stu rushing creating space, Brady retrieving and net front, G playmaking and slowing the play). Norris and DC getting sweet passes from Batherson could be a fit. One thing we know is that all 6 are a threat to score.

Camp and preseason should be a lot of fun to watch unfold this year.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Could pick either one. I originally chose the TNB line, but changed my mind. DeBrincat really adds a lot of firepower to any line he's on. He's going to be ridiculous with Timmy.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Debatable. Norris missed almost have the season down the stretch where Stutzle had to face the best dman without having Batherson and even Tkachuk on his line

I stand corrected. In that case I'd call them 1A and 1B and be very happy the top-6 is loaded. :)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It wouldn't surprise me if they put Joseph back on the top line as they did last yr where they had some success until he got hurt & put Batherson on the 3rd line & create another dynamic scoring line that is also good defensively.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Tkachuk 30g 40a, Norris 38g30a, Batherson 30g40a
Debrincat 40g 35a, Stutzle 30g 37a, Giroux 22g 40a

My prediction for the 2022-23 season. I think it will be a very balanced attack. Two lines that will have very similar stats. That is 190 goals from the top 2 lines.
Last year the whole team scored 227 goals. I think they will score at least 260 goals as a team this coming season. So 70 more goals from the last 2 lines and the defense.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It wouldn't surprise me if they put Joseph back on the top line as they did last yr where they had some success until he got hurt & put Batherson on the 3rd line & create another dynamic scoring line that is also good defensively.
They might but I doubt it... Batherson is important to that Norris line to drive play , make zone entries and make plays. Giroux could work there as well.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

That would be such a DJ thing to do, I say no way DJ! Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson is the perfect combo of size, speed, and skills with good vision and finishing. I voted for them as number 1 because they jell so well. Cat-Stutzle-Giroux may score more but we have yet to see them deployed together, won’t surprise me if they become Line 1a while Norris line becomes Line 1b.

Bottom line, we have two legit first lines (a first for Sens), keep them intact and deploy them two thirds of 5-on-5 hockey.

Formenton-Pinto-Joseph could become a thing of their own, akin to the Jordan Staal line in Pens cup winning teams wrt their effectiveness. A fourth line could theoretically play limited minutes, allowing entry level contract players some play time as needed without incurring much risks. Kastelic, Parker Kelly, Crookshank, et. al may push for spots with Austin Watson the only constant and Gamebred Gambrell vying the 13th/depth NHL role.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
My hot take is that Stutzle leads the team in points while Tkachuk lands at the bottom of the top 6 for points.
Luke warm at best.

Tkachuk 30g 40a, Norris 38g30a, Batherson 30g40a
Debrincat 40g 35a, Stutzle 30g 37a, Giroux 22g 40a

My prediction for the 2022-23 season. I think it will be a very balanced attack. Two lines that will have very similar stats. That is 190 goals from the top 2 lines.
Last year the whole team scored 227 goals. I think they will score at least 260 goals as a team this coming season. So 70 more goals from the last 2 lines and the defense.

I think it's more likely Stutzle gets 67 Assists than points. Huge break out season on the way! 90 points.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That would be such a DJ thing to do, I say no way DJ! Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson is the perfect combo of size, speed, and skills with good vision and finishing. I voted for them as number 1 because they jell so well. Cat-Stutzle-Giroux may score more but we have yet to see them deployed together, won’t surprise me if they become Line 1a while Norris line becomes Line 1b.

Bottom line, we have two legit first lines (a first for Sens), keep them intact and deploy them two thirds of 5-on-5 hockey.

Formenton-Pinto-Joseph could become a thing of their own, akin to the Jordan Staal line in Pens cup winning teams wrt their effectiveness. A fourth line could theoretically play limited minutes, allowing entry level contract players some play time as needed without incurring much risks. Kastelic, Parker Kelly, Crookshank, et. al may push for spots with Austin Watson the only constant and Gamebred Gambrell vying the 13th/depth NHL role.
I really like that top line too with Batherson on it, but both could work at different times. There will be times when they will put guys in a blender to get things going, there always is.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Stu will have to grow this season as a playmaker.

Last year he was guilty of doing too much often, like break into the O zone and then skate a bunch and eventually turn the puck over.

Playing with DC he’ll have to learn to skate to a spot and then pass the puck. If he’s playing with CG then he’s going to have to let G have the puck to make plays as well.

Practicing together to see who has chemistry is going to be so important. We may find that G gels better as a playmaker with Brady and Norris, while Batherson fits better with Stu and DC.

We have 6 legit top line players right now and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a big shuffle between them as the coaching staff and players themselves figure out who they have chemistry with.

Hell we may see Stu between Brady and G (Stu rushing creating space, Brady retrieving and net front, G playmaking and slowing the play). Norris and DC getting sweet passes from Batherson could be a fit. One thing we know is that all 6 are a threat to score.

Camp and preseason should be a lot of fun to watch unfold this year.
Statistically, Stützle is a playmaker and has been since his junior years. Personally I like him being a little bit greedy sometimes, as long as it doesn't cost us plays toward our D-zone. However, I am looking forward to seeing him dish to DeBrincat.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Statistically, Stützle is a playmaker and has been since his junior years. Personally I like him being a little bit greedy sometimes, as long as it doesn't cost us plays toward our D-zone. However, I am looking forward to seeing him dish to DeBrincat.
I totally don’t mind him shooting, I just want him to be using his wingers if he’s playing centre between guys like DBC and G.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
Some are being quite conservative about predicting Timmy's offensive numbers for this season, which is fine.
But perhaps they're unaware of how his production kept improving as last season wore on.

In the 2nd half (41 games minus 2 lost to injury) he got 37 points in 39 games for a P/GP average of 0.95
which would be 78 points in 82 games.

It gets better when considering just the last 2 months: 31 points in 29 games; P/GP avg. of 1.07
Even better in the last month alone: 18 points in 14 games; P/GP avg. of 1.285 - 105 points in 82 games.

So, with 2 much better wingers, who knows?

i

Reactions: Relapsing

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Some are being quite conservative about predicting Timmy's offensive numbers for this season, which is fine.
But perhaps they're unaware of how his production kept improving as last season wore on.

In the 2nd half (41 games minus 2 lost to injury) he got 37 points in 39 games for a P/GP average of 0.95
which would be 78 points in 82 games.

It gets better when considering just the last 2 months: 31 points in 29 games; P/GP avg. of 1.07
Even better in the last month alone: 18 points in 14 games; P/GP avg. of 1.285 - 105 points in 82 games.

So, with 2 much better wingers, who knows?

i

If he can stay healthy for a full 82 games there might be some down stretches but I think 75-85pts are fair expectations this year

Reactions: Emrasie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad