Proposal: What is the Oilers' emergency response plan?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The Rangers defense is probably the most overrated in the league.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
What is the Oilers' emergency response plan?

Emergency Plan 101:

1)Rehire Dallas Eakins
2)Rehire Craig Mactavish
3)Fire PC
4)Fire TM
5)Fire Joey Moss
6)Name Dallas Eakins the new GM and President of Hockey Operations
7)Award Craig Mactavish coupons for the 421 grams Baked Sea Bass at the Keg and Family Tickets towards the Kelly Clarkson concert featuring guest Nick Jonas and the position locker room attendant.
8)Hire Kelly Buchberger as the New Head Coach

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Upon further reflection, here's how I think it could go down:

We can assume that if things do not go well this season, besides the goalies, it will be because some for the 'core' hasn't performed up to snuff. The Hall-Ebs-RNH-Yak-Schultz cluster is on high alert. Chia probably gives these guys until mid season and if he doesn't like what he sees from any of the aformentioned players, they're gonzo at the TD, and that includes Hall and RNH.

Of course, it is doubtful more than 2 would ever be traded, but very likely at least one will be gone in the event the team doesn't take a step, yet again. And wouldn't that be the right thing to do? These guys have had enough time. If they are ever going to dominate as a group, they should be doing that by the end of this calendar year.

Chia is not married to any of these punks, like Mact and KLowe were/are. Put up or see ya.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

We can assume that if things do not go well this season, besides the goalies, it will be because some for the 'core' hasn't performed up to snuff. The Hall-Ebs-RNH-Yak-Schultz cluster is on high alert. Chia probably gives these guys until mid season and if he doesn't like what he sees from any of the aformentioned players, they're gonzo at the TD, and that includes Hall and RNH.

Of course, it is doubtful more than 2 would ever be traded, but very likely at least one will be gone in the event the team doesn't take a step, yet again. And wouldn't that be the right thing to do? These guys have had enough time. If they are ever going to dominate as a group, they should be doing that by the end of this calendar year.

Chia is not married to any of these punks, like Mact and KLowe were/are. Put up or see ya.
I hope this statement is true, but I also hope if he decides to trade one of them that he knows what kind of value he deserves in return.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Chia wasn't married to Seguin or Boychuk either and that's the reason he was fired and is here in the first place.

The GM's job is to make meaningful additions to the lineup without sacrificing the core players in the lineup. This is what good GM's of competitive teams have done for years.

Before one impulsively pulls the trigger on players like Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak one must support them with quality supporting cast, D, goaltending, to see how they do. To this point Chia has not done that.

Does the "put up or see ya" still apply to Chia?

I've been less than impressed with his summer.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Chia wasn't married to Seguin or Boychuk either and that's the reason he was fired and is here in the first place.

The GM's job is to make meaningful additions to the lineup without sacrificing the core players in the lineup. This is what good GM's of competitive teams have done for years.

Before one impulsively pulls the trigger on players like Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak one must support them with quality supporting cast, D, goaltending, to see how they do. To this point Chia has not done that.

I definitely agree that he hasn't fixed our team. He's done a few very good moves though, and I think he aims to let this group play and then to re-evaluate. We are at a fragile period where nothing is all that certain.

Besides, what GMs out there succeed in fixing a mess like Chia had in one offseason? I think there are deals he wanted to do but it didn't happen. Like everyone. A team like Philly should be in full win-now mode considering the ages of Giroux and Voracek but making the necessary deals is extremely difficult in this league considering that the type of players they need (and we need) are in low supply

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I definitely agree that he hasn't fixed our team. He's done a few very good moves though, and I think he aims to let this group play and then to re-evaluate. We are at a fragile period where nothing is all that certain.

Besides, what GMs out there succeed in fixing a mess like Chia had in one offseason? I think there are deals he wanted to do but it didn't happen. Like everyone. A team like Philly should be in full win-now mode considering the ages of Giroux and Voracek but making the necessary deals is extremely difficult in this league considering that the type of players they need (and we need) are in low supply

The mess is less than one would think. We do have here an embarrassment of offensive riches that many GM's would drool over and the reason this was an attractive location for Chia and Mclellan.

Interestingly what we need has been available. Calgary for instance solidified their goaltending and D in years where the Oil were settling for lesser agents. Imagine if the Oilers had Calgarys D and goaltending. What a difference that would make.

I'm not a make a big flash kind of guy but what concerns me is this org doesn't know (still) how to build and supplant its vet assets. It instead just replaces deckchairs. No sensible org would have got rid of Gordon, Petry, Roy. Those were solid character vets with good attitudes. This org has done that and has retained such players as Ference, Nikitin, Purcell.

Worse, other players are also impacted by the departures. Hendricks will be a mixed blessing without Gordon. The two worked well together. Hendricks needs a Gordon. Yak did real well with Roy. The team had used Petry as one of their top D and matched him with developing D. How helpful would this be with players like Nurse and Reinhard coming up.

Very little of what this org does makes sense. They just don't retain their faithful vets. They seemingly don't differentiate in the slightest on the vets that are helpful, and those that are less helpful.

Finally, they've added useless vets like Korpi and Gryba just because.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

is it? there's been many whispers that the Seguin trade was forced by Neely. And after witnessing how Neely/Sweeny handled the Hamilton trade, I think its safe to say the crazy in the Bruins organization is still there.

the GMs job is improve the team in the short and long term. Sacrificing core is meaningless. it is dangerous to label players as core. look at where the Oilers are with Schultz vs Petry? They went all in on the wrong player, just because they labelled one as 'core'.

Last edited:

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
The mess is less than one would think. We do have here an embarrassment of offensive riches that many GM's would drool over and the reason this was an attractive location for Chia and Mclellan.

Interestingly what we need has been available. Calgary for instance solidified their goaltending and D in years where the Oil were settling for lesser agents. Imagine if the Oilers had Calgarys D and goaltending. What a difference that would make.

I'm not a make a big flash kind of guy but what concerns me is this org doesn't know (still) how to build and supplant its vet assets. It instead just replaces deckchairs. No sensible org would have got rid of Gordon, Petry, Roy. Those were solid character vets with good attitudes. This org has done that and has retained such players as Ference, Nikitin, Purcell.

Worse, other players are also impacted by the departures. Hendricks will be a mixed blessing without Gordon. The two worked well together. Hendricks needs a Gordon. Yak did real well with Roy. The team had used Petry as one of their top D and matched him with developing D. How helpful would this be with players like Nurse and Reinhard coming up.

Very little of what this org does makes sense. They just don't retain their faithful vets. They seemingly don't differentiate in the slightest on the vets that are helpful, and those that are less helpful.

Gee, I was quite excited for the season before reading this ! Thanks man...

Gotta say that Petry and the bad contracts (nik,Purcell, ference) are not on our present GM. We have a better defence in Sekera and goaltending looks better too.

With the organic growth of the high picks and mcdavid, things are looking much
Brighter. Another solid Dman and look out. If we get lucky, Nurse and/or GR show well.

The mix could be a lot better with good support players and a solid number 1 goalie. Your dead on with what we need.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Hendricks and Letestu will do fine together. Gordon will be missed because I like the player, but we will see a cheaper player fill the same role.
Plus we have a chance of seeing Korpikoski rebound here.

I always forget about Korpse when I think about the lineup. One less hole to fill.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

What team would want Nikitin or Purcell at their current cap hits? Wasn't a fan of the Gordon for Korps trade but you fail to mention that we also brought in another character guy in Letestu who happens to be a lot cheaper than Gordon. Petry wasn't on our current GM. It was a mistake giving him a one year, everyone knew that except for MacT apparently. But if there is one thing you can rely on Chia for...its bringing in character players. Look no further than the Bruins roster he assembled and his loyalty to his character players was a fault of his. Handing out the contracts he did to guys like Kelly hurt the B's. The Ference comments seen a bit ridiculous. He may not have much left in the tank but how could you not consider him a quality character vet with a good attitude?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What team would want Nikitin or Purcell at their current cap hits? Wasn't a fan of the Gordon for Korps trade but you fail to mention that we also brought in another character guy in Letestu who happens to be a lot cheaper than Gordon. Petry wasn't on our current GM. It was a mistake giving him a one year, everyone knew that except for MacT apparently. But if there is one thing you can rely on Chia for...its bringing in character players. Look no further than the Bruins roster he assembled and his loyalty to his character players was a fault of his. Handing out the contracts he did to guys like Kelly hurt the B's. The Ference comments seen a bit ridiculous. He may not have much left in the tank but how could you not consider him a quality character vet with a good attitude?[/QUOTE]

Because he's complete garbage and doesn't even train consistent with being a WC NHL D. He's about the thinnest D in the conference. I could give a **** if he can walk a thousand stairs if he can't move anybody out of the crease. He's forsaken strength for endurance. No brawn whatsoever. For a guy getting paid millions I don't consider someone having a good attitude and dedication for not even training specific for their sporting position.

What kind of sense would it make for a football lineman to go all Ference/Eakins freakout bike regimen? None at all.

Train specific to your role, and dedicate to that, or GTFO.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Because he's complete garbage and doesn't even train consistent with being a WC NHL D. He's about the thinnest D in the conference. I could give a **** if he can walk a thousand stairs if he can't move anybody out of the crease. He's forsaken strength for endurance. No brawn whatsoever. For a guy getting paid millions I don't consider someone having a good attitude and dedication for not even training specific for their sporting position.

What kind of sense would it make for a football lineman to go all Ference/Eakins freakout bike regimen? None at all.

Train specific to your role, and dedicate to that, or GTFO.

Endurance is a huge part of a defenseman's ability. That's honestly the best part of Duncan Keith's game (which is saying a lot).

I do agree that Ference shouldn't sacrifice strength for endurance, but I don't know if he's actually doing that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Endurance is a huge part of a defenseman's ability. That's honestly the best part of Duncan Keith's game (which is saying a lot).

I do agree that Ference shouldn't sacrifice strength for endurance, but I don't know if he's actually doing that.

Ference doesn't have half the strength Duncan Keith does. C'mon. Theres a tradeoff, granted, between endurance and strength training but clearly Ference has gone far off the map in his training.

He's a WC D not a triathlete. Most Triathlete are lightweights as well. They wouldn't make good D, the wouldn't make good lineman.

Athletic training should be specific to sport and position.

Ference weighs 185lbs. You think he's not sacrificing strength. Again he's the slimmest D in the conference. For a vet D to be his height and this weight is really disappointing. He's rendered himself completely useless for his physical role. He has nothing else. Getting in peoples grill and physically competeing was a former calling card. he can't even do that now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Chiarelli made the right call in not trading any of our younger assets.

For starters, a lot of their trade value is very low, so it would not be good asset management.

Second, I think it's fair that he as a GM get to know the players and see them first hand before just willy nilly making trades for like a Yakupov.

If by Christmas it's not working, then sure start shopping people.

If Boston's front office wasn't so petty, we would probably have Hamilton right now too, capping off basically a perfect off-season, but oh well. We'll get that player sooner or later.

So amped for McDavid. I still can't believe we got him. I remember a week before the lottery, I played NHL 15 with McDavid on the Oilers just because I figured "well it'll take a miracle to get him, but lets enjoy the fantasy of him on the Oilers for a few days before he gets picked by the Coyotes or Leafs or Sabers".

You can imagine the loud yell that went up in my house on April 18th.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
This team is going to seriously challenge for if not make the playoffs next year. And I am saying this being known as one of the big doom sayers on this site.

We have a real GM
We have a real Coach and staff
We have a 1st year fracnhise player
We have some maturing good young players.
We have upgraded defense and probably goaltending.

Chiarelli made a lot of potential improvements without getting rid of one core piece. We can worry about dealing people at the dead line.

That's great to hear some positivity from you.

But you left out the Horcoff factor.

Surely that must count for something.

:popcorn:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think Chiarelli made the right call in not trading any of our younger assets.

For starters, a lot of their trade value is very low, so it would not be good asset management.

Second, I think it's fair that he as a GM get to know the players and see them first hand before just willy nilly making trades for like a Yakupov.

If by Christmas it's not working, then sure start shopping people.

If Boston's front office wasn't so petty, we would probably have Hamilton right now too, capping off basically a perfect off-season, but oh well. We'll get that player sooner or later.

So amped for McDavid. I still can't believe we got him. I remember a week before the lottery, I played NHL 15 with McDavid on the Oilers just because I figured "well it'll take a miracle to get him, but lets enjoy the fantasy of him on the Oilers for a few days before he gets picked by the Coyotes or Leafs or Sabres".

You can imagine the loud yell that went up in my house on April 18th.

It's not only PC seeing what he has first hand for me. Seeing what a competent vet coach can do with these guys before shipping them off needs to be done first. Everyone always assumes Yak is the odd man out, but what the hell happens if he starts clicking this year? You have a guy that is making 2.5mil and while if he is clicking he'll have a lot of value around the league, you still need cheap guys like him in your top 6 if you can.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I think that first 20 games can go down. So many new players, new game plan. I will stay put the Christmas. The team will struggle either during the first 20 games or have mid-season collapse. Eventually things will turn aroun between the game 45-55. Expect 0.500 before that. I think that there is a slight chance to make playoffs if things turnaround early rather than Late.

By the way let's sign Franson and trade Ference's for a overpriced forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad