Proposal: What is the Oilers' emergency response plan?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I can't believe some people will say Lundqvist=Elite because of Rangers defense.

Anyone who keeps saying that after reading that are just being ignorant.

You think Lundquist puts up the same numbers behind that atrocious Oilers defense?

Screen-Shot-2014-10-10-at-9.28.23-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2014-10-02-at-10.27.11-PM.png

McDeathbyCheerios*

You think Lundquist puts up the same numbers behind that atrocious Oilers defense?

Yes. Because he is an elite goalie and that's what he does. He has always done well even when New Yorks defense wasn't great.

Also we will have a proper coached team so that **** won't happen.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's definitely up in the air - I do remember seeing some advanced stats that pointed Talbot being able to have success in Edmonton.

However, at minimum, I think most would agree he's an upgrade over Fasth.

With Scrivens' workload scaling back, and him coming off one of his worst seasons, I think a bounce back to some extent would be reasonable for him.

I was never high on Fasth. I always had a LA KINgs proviso on Scrivens. Fact is we don't know what goalies will look like here until we start seeing them under fire.

A lot of people particularly with Fasth felt he would do great here. There were statements, plenty, that he would put Scrivens out of work by November. Sure never worked out that way.

Hey, I haven't seen Talbot real good in that I haven't spent enough time keying on him. You can bet I'll be watching and developing a more informed opinion over the coming months. I'm a watcher vs a stats guy. But I'll know what we have in a few months one way or the other.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I can't believe some people will say Lundqvist=Elite because of Rangers defense.

Anyone who keeps saying that after reading that are just being ignorant.

I can't believe someone would post so many strawman arguments/posts insisting that people are saying things they are not.

Lundqvists success is related, assisted, supplemented, by the Rangers. Its symbiotic in what is a team game.

You can comprehend that.

Why willfully twist what others are stating? Why do that?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yes. Because he is an elite goalie and that's what he does. He has always done well even when New Yorks defense wasn't great.

Also we will have a proper coached team so that **** won't happen.

You can't be serious? Some pucks are unstoppable. Any goalie is at the mercy of what goes on in front of him. To not understand that is to not understand the nature of perfect plays, gimme goals, and plays goalies have no chance on.

McDeathbyCheerios*

You can't be serious? Some pucks are unstoppable. Any goalie is at the mercy of what goes on in front of him. To not understand that is to not understand the nature of perfect plays, gimme goals, and plays goalies have no chance on.
Perfect plays do happen. I understand that. However ****** a lot of goals our goalies have let it would be completely stoppable by a good goalie.

Also I was saying those ****** d plays won't happen cause we actually have good defensive coaches.

Also what makes elite goalies elite is their knack for saving those unstoppable goals.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Perfect plays do happen. I understand that. However ****** a lot of goals our goalies have let it would be completely stoppable by a good goalie.

Also I was saying those ****** d plays won't happen cause we actually have good defensive coaches.

Also what makes elite goalies elite is their knack for saving those unstoppable goals.

Coaches alone don't change the way players play. Particularly contractually satisfied players.

The allstar core on this club has never been required to play solid all round hockey and have made millions just being part players. With many of these having now been here several seasons.

Its not a given that the star core on this club is suddenly going to be immediately amenable to heed all coaching advice. Especially considering they rarely have been.

Now McDavid is an outstanding offensive prospect, but he's a slouch defensively as well. We have a lot of allstars on this club who tend to be offense first guys. We don't have the veteran all round players, the D, or the goaltending to backstop those potential liabilities.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Coaches alone don't change the way players play. Particularly contractually satisfied players.

The allstar core on this club has never been required to play solid all round hockey and have made millions just being part players. With many of these having now been here several seasons.

Its not a given that the star core on this club is suddenly going to be immediately amenable to heed all coaching advice. Especially considering they rarely have been.

Now McDavid is an outstanding offensive prospect, but he's a slouch defensively as well. We have a lot of allstars on this club who tend to be offense first guys. We don't have the veteran all round players, the D, or the goaltending to backstop those potential liabilities.
True good coaching alone doesn't change it, the players seem motivated right now and management actually expect things from the players now and I honestly feel like we will see a big change. The d systems coached were bad and the players were lost cause they had no direction. We had decent d at the end of the season with a garbage dcore.

McDavid a slouch defensively? News to me.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I can't believe someone would post so many strawman arguments/posts insisting that people are saying things they are not.

Lundqvists success is related, assisted, supplemented, by the Rangers. Its symbiotic in what is a team game.

You can comprehend that.

Why willfully twist what others are stating? Why do that?

I would say the cushion is the NY Rangers, the same club that normally makes Lundqvist look great. But he had some Luongo moments in the playoffs as well when the Rangers were not up to snuff.

A goalie is often as good or bad as a team makes them. This is what makes me wonder what we really have in Talbot.

He wasn't, as near as I can see. Your opinion as to the influence of the Ranger d-corps seems to have made a sudden transition from being the cushion that "makes Lundqvist look great" to merely a relationship of symbiosis.

There's a huge difference between the two assertions, and a post containing valid and pertinent data somewhere between them.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Did I say Lundqvist would be elite behind the Oilers defense?

The guys one of the best goalies in the game. If you want to think he's a by product of a system, go ahead. You'd be wrong though.

RE Grasping Straws. Read the blogpost from Woodguy. Its a great read or keep burying your head in the sand and keep believing in myths.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
The guys one of the best goalies in the game. If you want to think he's a by product of a system, go ahead. You'd be wrong though.

Based on the data available, it would be more logical to assert the inverse.

The flawed notion that NY has elite d-corps would seem to be the fallout of outstanding goaltending.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Based on the data available, it would be more logical to assert the inverse.

The flawed notion that NY has elite d-corps would seem to be the fallout of outstanding goaltending.
This I can agree with.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He wasn't, as near as I can see. Your opinion as to the influence of the Ranger d-corps seems to have made a sudden transition from being the cushion that "makes Lundqvist look great" to merely a relationship of symbiosis.

There's a huge difference between the two assertions, and a post containing valid and pertinent data somewhere between them.

Oh damn, my wording in this instance was wrong. Didn't mean to say it that way. The word "Make" in that sentence is wrong. I would've meant to say something like contributed. I try to read through my posts better than that usually.

my apologies in anycase to Tad who did not strawman in this instance and my credit to you for pointing out my mistake so clearly.

kudos, cheers

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
I was never high on Fasth. I always had a LA KINgs proviso on Scrivens. Fact is we don't know what goalies will look like here until we start seeing them under fire.

A lot of people particularly with Fasth felt he would do great here. There were statements, plenty, that he would put Scrivens out of work by November. Sure never worked out that way.

Hey, I haven't seen Talbot real good in that I haven't spent enough time keying on him. You can bet I'll be watching and developing a more informed opinion over the coming months. I'm a watcher vs a stats guy. But I'll know what we have in a few months one way or the other.

I felt much the same way. I was unimpressed with Fasth at any time in his career, and Scrivens I figured would fall back to how he looked with Toronto. Scrivens fell further.

I was impressed with what I saw out of Talbot the last two seasons, which is why when the goalie conversation started back in March, I felt he was one of the top runners.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=98859593&highlight=#post98859593

I hope I was right.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
LTIR so hall and boys still get a free pass? If the oilers struggle we need to take a long look at Eberle, Hall and Nuge. The guys playing the most minutes. If yak goes back to 10 minutes a game. How can he be part of the problem? And the guys playing 18minutes a night are not?

Well a slow start to season would mean that the Oilers need a big shot in the arm and improve right away... We arent winning a deal where Hal or Nuge is going the other way.. With Drai and Klefbom we sacrifice potential but acquire players in their prime.

Klefbom + for Byfuglien ?
Draisaitl + Schultz for Burns?

Sekera-Burns, Nurse-Byfuglien as top 4 would be adding 50+ pts from the back end to the club.

As for Yak .. He hasnt been able to click with anyone since Galchenyuk.. Seemed like an outcast on Team Russia too at WJHC. If he is struggling to find chemistry with anyone 20 games in then he becomes part of the problem.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
This team is going to seriously challenge for if not make the playoffs next year. And I am saying this being known as one of the big doom sayers on this site.

We have a real GM
We have a real Coach and staff
We have a 1st year fracnhise player
We have some maturing good young players.
We have upgraded defense and probably goaltending.

Chiarelli made a lot of potential improvements without getting rid of one core piece. We can worry about dealing people at the dead line.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This team is going to seriously challenge for if not make the playoffs next year. And I am saying this being known as one of the big doom sayers on this site.

We have a real GM
We have a real Coach and staff
We have a 1st year fracnhise player
We have some maturing good young players.
We have upgraded defense and probably goaltending.

Chiarelli made a lot of potential improvements without getting rid of one core piece. We can worry about dealing people at the dead line.

Gonna put on my jerk hat for a minute.

We have a real GM - So did Bruins - missed playoffs
We have a real Coach and staff - So did the Sharks- 3rd worst in west
We have a 1st year fracnhise player - We have been adding one every other year for the past 5 yrs
We have some maturing good young players. - been there done that - Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson, Yak, Hall, Ebs
We have upgraded defense and probably goaltending. - We have seemigly been doing that for years too .. In the end its Petry, Marincin out Sekera+Gryba in from last offseason.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Gonna put on my jerk hat for a minute.

We have a real GM - So did Bruins - missed playoffs
We have a real Coach and staff - So did the Sharks- 3rd worst in west
We have a 1st year fracnhise player - We have been adding one every other year for the past 5 yrs
We have some maturing good young players. - been there done that - Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson, Yak, Hall, Ebs
We have upgraded defense and probably goaltending. - We have seemigly been doing that for years too .. In the end its Petry, Marincin out Sekera+Gryba in from last offseason.

Real GM: Missed playoffs for what, second time in his tenure?

Real Coach: Missed playoffs for first time as a head coach in the NHL.

First Franchise Player: Are you saying McDavid isn't above Hall, RNH or Yakupov?

Good maturing young players: I think Hall RNH and Eberle> Gagner, Nilsson, Cogliano. If anything, there needs to be more depth

Upgraded D+G: I wasn't aware that Chiarelli traded Petry. Talbot will be better than Scrivens/Fasth and Sekera is better than Petry if you want to include him. Also Marincin, contrary to the analytics crowd say, was garbage last year. I'd rather have Reinhart > Marincin, which is what it basically became.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I felt much the same way. I was unimpressed with Fasth at any time in his career, and Scrivens I figured would fall back to how he looked with Toronto. Scrivens fell further.

I was impressed with what I saw out of Talbot the last two seasons, which is why when the goalie conversation started back in March, I felt he was one of the top runners.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=98859593&highlight=#post98859593

I hope I was right.

Of course I do too. I realize as well I am engaging in a false perspective of looking at Talbot and being influenced by what has already happened here with goalies. In that sense the Oiler experience has biased me.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They were improving under Nelson anyway as is. Playing at an 80-ish point season rate

Yakupov at 20 points in his final 28 games, RNH at basically a PPG rate for the last 30 games, Eberle too.

That's with no Taylor Hall for most of those games, no Connor McDavid, no Cam Talbot, and also losing Petry at the trade deadline for no roster return.

Honestly if they don't dump Petry to ensure probably 2-3 extra losses, we likely don't have McDavid right now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I don't know, you always hear about goalies complaining about players screening them and just letting them see the puck. Looks like the Oil defense listened :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad