what is the mission of an ahl farm team?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
curious how the management of ahl farm teams reconcile the competing roles of sports team and farm team. obviously development takes precedence, but how is that rationalized?

i have two alternate theories

1. the primary purpose of an ahl team is to develop players and service the parent, with winning as an afterthought you pursue as best you can when not pursuing development.

2. the primary purpose of an ahl team and its management/coaching staff is to win, and other requirements of player development and feeding the parent team are externalities imposed on them with which they must comply (akin to the rules of the game or force majeure).

what do others think? is there another approach?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
curious how the management of ahl farm teams reconcile the competing roles of sports team and farm team. obviously development takes precedence, but how is that rationalized?

i have two alternate theories ...
The only value in your Alternate Theory #2 is that it provided an opportunity to introduce the term "force majeure" to thousands of HF Boards members/viewers. And that ain't much of an opportunity. :huh:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It depends on who owns the franchise.

If the parent NHL club owns it's affiliate, it's #1.

If it's an independently owned affiliate, it's #1 for the NHL team and #2 for the local ownership.

Reactions: Morrison

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The only value in your Alternate Theory #2 is that it provided an opportunity to introduce the term "force majeure" to thousands of HF Boards members/viewers. And that ain't much of an opportunity. :huh:

is it that busy in here?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

If it's an independently owned affiliate, it's #1 for the NHL team and #2 for the local ownership.

good point that there is that tension with some franchises that have local owners. even if it was me as nhl owner, i'd be tempted to task one guy from the team as ahl club liaison to impose #1 when needed, and another guy as gm with instructions to follow #2 in a friendly fashion.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
good point that there is that tension with some franchises that have local owners. even if it was me as nhl owner, i'd be tempted to task one guy from the team as ahl club liaison to impose #1 when needed, and another guy as gm with instructions to follow #2 in a friendly fashion.
Most independent owners will do whatever the nhl team wants.A team like Providence wont dare go against Boston because The NHL bruins will come Down on them hard if they do.

Reactions: Morrison

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Most independent owners will do whatever the nhl team wants.A team like Providence wont dare go against Boston because The NHL bruins will come Down on them hard if they do.

who says go against the bruins? you have to do as they say. the issue is what is your philosophy in doing so.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
who says go against the bruins? you have to do as they say. the issue is what is your philosophy in doing so.
The NHL team usually only cares about giving prospects ice time to work though there mistakes they don't want the ahl team trying to prioritize winning games at the AHL level. If a independent owner gets in the way of The development of NHL prospect's the NHL team will most likely have a issue with them.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The NHL team usually only cares about giving prospects ice time to work though there mistakes they don't want the ahl team trying to prioritize winning games at the AHL level. If a independent owner gets in the way of The development of NHL prospect's the NHL team will most likely have a issue with them.

yes i understand that the ahl team cannot do anything to undermine nhl development. both the scenarios i laid out involve doing whatever the nhl team wants to develop players as a priority over winning. it has to do with the ahl team's underlying philosophy when doing that. let me oversimplify:

approach 1. nhl team: do this. ahl team: ok

approach 2. nhl team: do this ahl team: ok, but can we do x to compensate, or what if we did y which would get that player the same ice time?

the ahl management prioritizing winning subject to dictates of nhl team generates more approach 2, but can also be a pita for the nhl team. i am simply curious what philosophy prevails.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
except Providence has an independent owner and has been no matter where the affiliation/PDC stands, that's usually what the affiliate has control over, and what the parent club dictates, Centrum, most affiliates today don't have options ie signing players, or getting approval from an independent franchise in regards to loans, etc..... EVEN Hershey and Chicago have lost the rights over the years to field a veteran laden team over development, all teams slowly have lost those rights as each PDC was either extended or renewed... Providence has never been an NHL owned franchise no matter where it was based from

it depends on what's stated in the PDC....

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
(As it stands today, AHL Chicago has zero players signed. VGK has 45 NHL contracts (including two slidable). Guessing the rookie tournament, with VGK 0-2, and the upcoming camp will be where they find any guys they want to sign for additional depth.)

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
(As it stands today, AHL Chicago has zero players signed. VGK has 45 NHL contracts (including two slidable). Guessing the rookie tournament, with VGK 0-2, and the upcoming camp will be where they find any guys they want to sign for additional depth.)
Do the knights have enough prospects to Field a Full AHL team ?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

Actually this is incorrect...they have 1 unannounced player signed.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
THAT'S THE POINT, Centrum, Chicago is now a development team, because that's the way the league has trended, it's always been a development league, but the era of veteran rule, as well as the veteran limit cap.....

What is a veteran limit cap?

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Again, it is #1, and only #1.

This is wrong except for the Devils. All the teams and players want to win. They want to play games. They want to go to the NHL. If all they wanted was development, why play any games? Why keep score if you do play games?

What is a veteran limit cap?

The veteran limit cap is the headwear the veterans in the limit must wear when they sign.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

This.

The purpose of the IceHogs is to make future Blackhawks. The purpose of the Wolves is to try to win a championship.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This.

The purpose of the IceHogs is to make future Blackhawks. The purpose of the Wolves is to try to win a championship.
not anymore, I've seen issues detailing that even Hershey has been forced to change toward a more development philsophy, which is why the Wolves have lost that stature as Vegas calls every shot, as to who plays there, that's happened over the years where it may have been true where a veteran team could be iced, but most organizations are leaning toward development like Rockford, the era of going it alone and not development, is either archaic or dead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad