what is the mission of an ahl farm team?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That explains why Portland is the ECHL now and not in the AHL.

NHL teams with AHL affiliates have changed since Portland was in the AHL in regards to how many players can be assigned and how many players an AHL team can sign up. With Detroit, the Red Wings assign 13-15 players to Grand Rapids (AHL). The Red Wings allow the Griffins to sign 5-10 players to fill in the rest of the roster. Any players left over could end up in Toledo (ECHL) to fill any roster spots there (usually they send 2-4 players). The NHL club can allow their AHL affiliates to sign players to fill up the remaining AHL roster and if the NHL team also has an ECHL affiliate, it can sign more players to place 2-4 to fill the ECHL roster. It all depends on who is your NHL affiliate, and what guidelines they set for their AHL affiliate.
gr:

all AHL Affiliates have lost those rights over the years, among various entities, the point stands and it is embarassing for fellow fanbases to slander former markets, that's the point I was making, no matter who the affiliate and their philosophy is, the days of a veteran laded franchise no longer exist, whether or not there's an affiliation at a lower level, all AHL franchises can pull any player they so choose, whether or not there's a direct affiliation or independent, the point remains, the days of a Hershey or a Chicago going multi-veteran as opposed to development base, which most teams employ... the difference is as I said in an earlier post is: the affiliates based on the PDC THAT Portland employed, whether it was Washington, Anaheim, Buffalo, Phoenix/Arizona or Florida, and originally Philadelphia, New Jersey and Boston, what was detailed in the PDC, THE AFFILIATE LOST those rights as each extension was negotiated or had those rights revert to the parent club, ie player transactions

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
gr:

all AHL Affiliates have lost those rights over the years, among various entities, the point stands and it is embarassing for fellow fanbases to slander former markets, that's the point I was making, no matter who the affiliate and their philosophy is, the days of a veteran laded franchise no longer exist, whether or not there's an affiliation at a lower level, all AHL franchises can pull any player they so choose, whether or not there's a direct affiliation or independent, the point remains, the days of a Hershey or a Chicago going multi-veteran as opposed to development base, which most teams employ... the difference is as I said in an earlier post is: the affiliates based on the PDC THAT Portland employed, whether it was Washington, Anaheim, Buffalo, Phoenix/Arizona or Florida, and originally Philadelphia, New Jersey and Boston, what was detailed in the PDC, THE AFFILIATE LOST those rights as each extension was negotiated or had those rights revert to the parent club, ie player transactions

Do not know what year you are stuck in (assuming 1999 when Portland was still in the AHL) but the rest of us on this board are on 2019. The NHL team places anywhere from 85-95% (varies with each team) of their players that do not make their NHL roster to their AHL affiliates roster. The remaining 5-15% the AHL team signs players to fill the remaining holes in their roster. Any leftovers can be assigned to the ECHL roster.

In Grand Rapids for the past 4 seasons, we have had as many as up to 9 vets signed to our roster. But we could only dress 6 on the ice, so that meant that up to 3 vets had to sit out and not be dressed. Just wanting to point that out. So Hutch whenever you find your time machine and get back to the future to the year 2019, let us know. Things have changed in the past 20 years since Portland was in the AHL.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
gr:

OH MY THIS IS RICH...OH THE IRONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This bolded comment coming from the very person who has "slandered" the Chicago Wolves and their fans for YEARS by calling them the Rosemont Wolves and all the other "comments" that have been made.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Do not know what year you are stuck in (assuming 1999 when Portland was still in the AHL) but the rest of us on this board are on 2019. The NHL team places anywhere from 85-95% (varies with each team) of their players that do not make their NHL roster to their AHL affiliates roster. The remaining 5-15% the AHL team signs players to fill the remaining holes in their roster. Any leftovers can be assigned to the ECHL roster.

In Grand Rapids for the past 4 seasons, we have had as many as up to 9 vets signed to our roster. But we could only dress 6 on the ice, so that meant that up to 3 vets had to sit out and not be dressed. Just wanting to point that out. So Hutch whenever you find your time machine and get back to the future to the year 2019, let us know. Things have changed in the past 20 years since Portland was in the AHL.
Portland has been in the league since 1977, GR, up to 2015, remember, Grand Rapids had to accept the rules of the league, where I'M BASING THAT OFF OF IS THE AFFILIATION CONTRACT that was posted here every time an affiliation or lease was renewed, which both threaten the franchise rights, why would Portland have to expand their territorial rights outside the city WHEN Cross either balked on the lease agreed to in 2014, while the arena was renovated...

why do you think discussion and questions from Portland fan sand others were asked as to what the status was.....the franchise was targeted many, many times once New Jersey left in 1987-88, just as the discussions about Worcester, as an example once the news broke over Peoria as a prime example..... there are no guarantees in any sport that a market jumps back in....

if insiders could collate that and give that central forum as some have had what seems to be the issue with slandering former markets as you seem to have done... how would you feel if the other 30 fanbases constantly dumped on the Griffins day after day, year after year, and Detroit never started there, mind you, they started in Adirondack,

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
if insiders could collate that and give that central forum as some have had what seems to be the issue with slandering former markets as you seem to have done... how would you feel if the other 30 fanbases constantly dumped on the Griffins day after day, year after year, and Detroit never started there, mind you, they started in Adirondack,

Detroit started in the AHL in Pittsburgh as the Hornets (3 seasons in the late 30's and again in the 60's for 5 seasons). Indianapolis (Capitals) for 13 seasons, St Louis (Flyers 52-53 season), Hershey Bears (5 seasons 57-62), Tidewater, VA in 1971 for 4 seasons as the Red Wings owned the Tidewater/Virginia Red Wings. New Haven Knighthawks for the 1975-76 season and then the Wings put a team in Adirondack (Red Wings) in 1979.

We are not asking about the history of Portland hockey. You keep bringing that up every time someone here on the AHL board wants to discuss something about the AHL (rules, player movements, affiliation agreements, etc). On this discussion, we are talking about what is the mission of an AHL farm team, not the history of Portland AHL hockey. Big difference. Living in GR and being a Griffins fan since the team started in the IHL in 1996, changes have been made in that time regarding to player movements, affiliation changes, and yes changing from the IHL to the AHL. Just stating facts as to how an AHL team operates from where I'm at. Axe can tell you his side of how the Chicago Wolves operate their organization. I'm sure adsfan can do the same thing with the Milwaukee Admirals. No need for your nonsense ramblings on Portland's hockey history here. Read it enough times throughout the years and on other message boards as well as this one.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'd be willing to bet the ideologies of AHL franchises is split pretty evenly around the league. On one hand you have teams like Hershey, Toronto, Rochester, Chicago, WBS, Texas etc. that bring in a lot of solid veteran players and play in markets that prioritize winning. On the other hand you have teams that are historically pretty bad and rarely surround their prospects with top veteran talent and they are usually on the outside looking in. Off the top of my head I can think of Hartford, Springfield and the Devils franchise (Albany Devils, now Binghamton Devils) as ones that rarely sign big time AHL players and give their prospects lots of playing time.

Reactions: voxel

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Detroit started in the AHL in Pittsburgh as the Hornets (3 seasons in the late 30's and again in the 60's for 5 seasons). Indianapolis (Capitals) for 13 seasons, St Louis (Flyers 52-53 season), Hershey Bears (5 seasons 57-62), Tidewater, VA in 1971 for 4 seasons as the Red Wings owned the Tidewater/Virginia Red Wings. New Haven Knighthawks for the 1975-76 season and then the Wings put a team in Adirondack (Red Wings) in 1979.

We are not asking about the history of Portland hockey. You keep bringing that up every time someone here on the AHL board wants to discuss something about the AHL (rules, player movements, affiliation agreements, etc). On this discussion, we are talking about what is the mission of an AHL farm team, not the history of Portland AHL hockey. Big difference. Living in GR and being a Griffins fan since the team started in the IHL in 1996, changes have been made in that time regarding to player movements, affiliation changes, and yes changing from the IHL to the AHL. Just stating facts as to how an AHL team operates from where I'm at. Axe can tell you his side of how the Chicago Wolves operate their organization. I'm sure adsfan can do the same thing with the Milwaukee Admirals. No need for your nonsense ramblings on Portland's hockey history here. Read it enough times throughout the years and on other message boards as well as this one.
because YOU keep slandering markets like Newfoundland, Portland and Worcester, GR, so other fanbases cannot slander Grand Rapids, yeah, not buying your lame explanations when it's common knowledge all fanbases back franchises in trouble.... are you slandering Pittsburgh and Wilkes Barre, too, because of a lease dispute, that that market would've gone through that, the same MO that Portland went through in 2014, how is that ANY Different

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The past two years Vegas did not have enough prospects to field a entire ahl team.

Vegas did not have enough players under contact to make an issue of prioritizing development over winning.

Their first year, VGK didn't even try to have their own AHL franchise. They shared a few depth guys they got through expansion draft (and trades). Really worked the goalies hard as they went through FIVE (including emergency recall from CHL!!!) goalies due to injury.

Last year, they had their own AHL team. Six guys on AHL deals. Excluding Brannstrom (European draftee who was traded during the season), all the rest were UFA signings, trades or expansion draft.

This is the first year VGK will probably have their own draftees play in the NHL (Suzuki, Brannstrom and other tradees notwithstanding).

So, really hard to judge them based on that. (I will state the VGK has signed many fewer undrafted players than other teams in the Pacific division, like the Sharks. With "new" GM McCrimmon, who knows which way scouting will go.)

(My guess is that Seattle may be more aggressive in UFA signings for AHL depth as it sounds like they will have their own AHL team in the first year they play.)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I just skip the part that would give me a headache....
IF IT WASN'T FOR YOU, WILDCAT, EDUCATING THE REST OF THE LEAGUE, how would we know what the ins and outs were between PDC, and how the franchises could or couldn't do with each organization and their philosophy, then add in the sidebar of the lease contentions with the city trustees just as WB/Scranton did with Luzerne County

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
because YOU keep slandering markets like Newfoundland, Portland and Worcester,

This is an AHL message topic not the ECHL.

There is no mention of Newfoundland and Worcester in my posts here. Do not know what you are talking about. Maybe you need to make your posts over on the ECHL board since Portland is now an ECHL team and no longer playing in the AHL.

Education time:

Newfoundland, Worcester, & Portland are all currently playing in the ECHL, not in the AHL. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

We are talking on this subject about "What is the mission of an AHL farm team?" Stick to the subject please. If anyone needs a complete history of Portland hockey, posters can PM you instead of you plastering it all over this board.

Just trying to answer the topic that someone brought up on the mission of an AHL farm team. That is all. Does not matter if posters agree or disagree with me on what I post here. Not trying to win a popularity contest here, nor am I running for any political office here. Just trying to answer the topic that is brought forward as best and accurate as I can.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This is an AHL message topic not the ECHL.

There is no mention of Newfoundland and Worcester in my posts here. Do not know what you are talking about. Maybe you need to make your posts over on the ECHL board since Portland is now an ECHL team and no longer playing in the AHL.

Education time:

Newfoundland, Worcester, & Portland are all currently playing in the ECHL, not in the AHL. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

We are talking on this subject about "What is the mission of an AHL farm team?" Stick to the subject please. If anyone needs a complete history of Portland hockey, posters can PM you instead of you plastering it all over this board.

Just trying to answer the topic that someone brought up on the mission of an AHL farm team. That is all. Does not matter if posters agree or disagree with me on what I post here. Not trying to win a popularity contest here, nor am I running for any political office here. Just trying to answer the topic that is brought forward as best and accurate as I can.

and since when is Grand Rapids, the center of the the AHL, GR: all posters can comment if they so have a comment, that includes Worcester's fanbase, thanks

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
and since when is Grand Rapids, the center of the the AHL, GR: all posters can comment if they so have a comment, that includes Worcester's fanbase, thanks

Chicago and Grand Rapids are CENTRALLY LOCATED in the AHL. I give you that.

I'd be willing to bet the ideologies of AHL franchises is split pretty evenly around the league. On one hand you have teams like Hershey, Toronto, Rochester, Chicago, WBS, Texas etc. that bring in a lot of solid veteran players and play in markets that prioritize winning. On the other hand you have teams that are historically pretty bad and rarely surround their prospects with top veteran talent and they are usually on the outside looking in. Off the top of my head I can think of Hartford, Springfield and the Devils franchise (Albany Devils, now Binghamton Devils) as ones that rarely sign big time AHL players and give their prospects lots of playing time.

I would say that the NHL Western teams are focused primarily on developing their prospects and if their AHL team makes it to the playoffs, it is a bonus for them. Winning is not a priority for them, thus the difference in the amount of games played and other concessions that they made to the AHL to be where they are at.

Independent AHL teams (Chicago, Grand Rapids, San Antonio, Hershey, and others) want to do both develop their NHL affiliate prospects and make them move up to the NHL and to win to keep afloat where they are at and to keep their fan base as happy as possible.

AHL teams that are NHL owned, are starting to (in the past 3-4 seasons) are also wanting both their prospects to develop and for their AHL affiliate to win mainly for the reason that they want their prospects to move up to the NHL coming from a positive (winning) atmosphere from their AHL affiliate. Just my take on it.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
In my opinion the mission of the AHL team has changed since I’ve been following the league in 1977. I feel the mission is to develop. If yah can win while developing that’s the cherry on top of the sundae but winning is no longer the priority.
My market demands winning and we rarely get it. The last years of Ottawa were a disaster to us locals but in Ottawa’s eyes it was a success as top prospects thrived and then rapidly contributed in Ottawa. Winning not important in Binghamton.
The 2 Devil years have been a disaster. Though last year they did sign some expensive vets but it was still another disaster season.
What hurts here is the financial gains or losses of the franchise is on the local group who leases the team. Crappy local teams affect their bottom line. Teams that are outright owned and run by the NHL teams have less incentive to ice a competive AHL team.
I find it hard to believe Hershey would allow the nonsense that is common place in Bing. That said Hershey is thr crown jewel of the AHL and holds the hammer so to speak. Where say Bing is your lucky to have a team take the crap we give you and like it!

Anyways what I always remember is Neil Smith in our Ranger years always said I want a winning AHL team so my prospects know what it’s like to win. Those were great years 4 division titles in 7 years and the Rangers got their cup with many bing rangers contributing. I personally don’t feel like thr Smith model is common place in the AHL anymore.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
In my opinion the mission of the AHL team has changed since I’ve been following the league in 1977. I feel the mission is to develop. If yah can win while developing that’s the cherry on top of the sundae but winning is no longer the priority.
My market demands winning and we rarely get it. The last years of Ottawa were a disaster to us locals but in Ottawa’s eyes it was a success as top prospects thrived and then rapidly contributed in Ottawa. Winning not important in Binghamton.
The 2 Devil years have been a disaster. Though last year they did sign some expensive vets but it was still another disaster season.
What hurts here is the financial gains or losses of the franchise is on the local group who leases the team. Crappy local teams affect their bottom line. Teams that are outright owned and run by the NHL teams have less incentive to ice a competive AHL team.
I find it hard to believe Hershey would allow the nonsense that is common place in Bing. That said Hershey is thr crown jewel of the AHL and holds the hammer so to speak. Where say Bing is your lucky to have a team take the crap we give you and like it!

Anyways what I always remember is Neil Smith in our Ranger years always said I want a winning AHL team so my prospects know what it’s like to win. Those were great years 4 division titles in 7 years and the Rangers got their cup with many bing rangers contributing. I personally don’t feel like thr Smith model is common place in the AHL anymore.

As much as it's "all about the prospects", teams do not survive long term unless they put butts in the seats. A bad team still won't draw no matter how many promotions the ticket office comes up with.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
As much as it's "all about the prospects", teams do not survive long term unless they put butts in the seats. A bad team still won't draw no matter how many promotions the ticket office comes up with.
San Jose, Calgary and NJ are notorious for not caring about anything but prospect development at the AHL level.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
San Jose, Calgary and NJ are notorious for not caring about anything but prospect development at the AHL level.

They can absorb the losses a local owner can't (San Jose has especially set themselves uo with a nice situation), and Calgary is still always antsy to move.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
They can absorb the losses a local owner can't (San Jose has especially set themselves uo with a nice situation), and Calgary is still always antsy to move.
and that's the primary reason why Manchester failed when you remove the profit/loss once the Kings removed themselves as owner/operators

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->