TSN Radio What is the deal with Steve Simmons against the world???

Harry Kneel

Signature
Apr 24, 2013
Toronto

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He's a ****in loser who thinks he's a big shot, that's his problem.

The days of "respect my opinion because I'm in the MSM" are over, and he's pissed at the guys who are making his job more difficult to be relavent in.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I posted the Dangle video in the other thread, but he touches on this topic about MSM versus the Blog and indie reporters in general. He really said good things about it and it does make sense.

In general, the 'old' school MSM were used to being read without much questioning from the average users, especially before the internet boom and indie websites for articles and information. On the flip side, the blogosphere were/are jealous of the MSM that people read their generic articles over their well crafted stuff. And of course vice versa.

Simmons has been in the business for a long time and I think he got used to being one of the 'top' reporters in the field with his unquestioned sources. His opinion was one great quality because he was the person reporting it. You can disagree but it wouldn't matter because well, there are no comments section on the newspapers.

However, now that the average joe can write articles of many words that can basically rival any MSM any day of the week, I think Simmons gets frustrated at the scrutiny. Bloggers like Cam Charron put Simmons in his shoes when they could pull up factual statistics that refuted most things said and they actually were/are getting more popular then him. I'm sure some of those blogs like TLN, PPP and MLHS get more hits for their Leaf related articles then most MSM, or at least they are around the same numbers.

Basically, I think the jealousy of the blogosphere not getting enough attention for putting what they thought were better articles is turning around. I think the MSM are getting jealous that the average joe (sometimes with absolutely no background in reporting) are getting jobs with actual NHL teams but also getting more attention from the new generation. Reporters like Cox, Simmons, etc, don't appear to want to accept the new generation, accept perhaps a new way of presenting facts and their articles. A few MSM reporters like Mirtle and Pronman can be just as arrogant (and very defensive), but at least they embrace change and don't really put down any new way of reporting the sport we love.

I can understand why someone like Simmons is on edge, probably because his job and his status has gone down by quite a bit over the last 10 years or so.

I'm not going to hotlink the youtube of Dangle, but if you're interested in a pretty good breakdown of the MSM versus the bloggers, he makes good points: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3YeEiIJqIo

Last edited:

Harry Kneel

Signature
Apr 24, 2013
Toronto

The days of "respect my opinion because I'm in the MSM" are over, and he's pissed at the guys who are making his job more difficult to be relavent in.

Sorry I am new to this battle. What is MSM stand for?

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Simmons' claim to relevance/superiority was his access to team sources, the idea that he knew more by virtue of his access and proximity to people who know more by virtue of their employment in an NHL front office, their career in the league, whatever. and now the lowlife bloggers who don't even have a media pass are getting jobs in NHL front offices.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Who'd have thought that researched content with facts and stuff would be more useful that headline-grabbling sensationalist BS?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2014/8/19/6045943/the-leafs-summer-of-analytics-continues

Just read the above article with a twitter war between Steve Simmons against Cam Charron, Advanced Stats, James Mirtle, Santa Claus, the Easter bunny etc. etc. etc.

Is this guy on a 24 hour roid rage or what? I have not liked a lot of the comments he has made i.e. announcing Sundin's career was over when it wasn't in 2005, but now he has gone off the deep end.

What gives?

It's probably been like this since grade school for him.

Durkin67

Nobody does more to make Simmons irrelevant than Simmons. The days of MSM blowhards relying on controversy for attention began to fade years ago with the dismissalof Berger. The message we sent with the petition was simply that the game is interesting enough, and we, the consumer/reader/enthusiast dont need hyperbole and sensationalism to remain engaged.
Berger mocked me, and the 400+ people who made it known that his brand of journalism was a slap in the face to hockey fans in the games' biggest market.

His time as a recognizable entity in the hockey market came to a screeching halt as a result of his lack of respect for fans.
Simmons should probably shut up, sit up, and take notice...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I find Simmons hilarious, Dangle not so much.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I've said it here before a few times, Simmons has posted some ridiculous **** on his twitter to which I responded and proved him wrong on multiple occasions where he then deleted my comments. Needless to say, the guy doesn't like being questioned. He definitely gets on the defensive, makes you wonder how insecure the guy is. Usually hacks are insecure IMO. If you can't defend yourself against an average hockey fan like myself, why the hell are you on national TV and newspapers. The Mirtle battle from the other day was hilarious.

Kyle Doobas*

I don't know, but if I were Steve, I'd find a good place to hide and make sure to be very, very quiet.

mikebel111*

Is he still playing with his hockey dollies in his mothers house?

What is wrong with Dangle? He is probably the only reason I can actually stomach some losses!
He actually just got married and is living with her. He moved out.

Anyways to the topic in hand, Simmons, when I see him I sometimes get the feeling that I want to punch him! I like the point of him getting upset that his job is getting harder. Another reason is that he isn't happy that Leafs are headed in a new and good direction. Simmonds needs to seriously calm down. Its okay if your wrong bud!

MrValk

Mar 23, 2006
Toronto
I think the hate is best summed up by a quote from the movie moneyball (clearly biased since its a "stats guy" movie)

I know you've taken it in the teeth out there, but the first guy through the wall. It always gets bloody, always. It's the threat of not just the way of doing business, but in their minds it's threatening the game. But really what it's threatening is their livelihoods, it's threatening their jobs, it's threatening the way that they do things. And every time that happens, whether it's the government or a way of doing business or whatever it is, the people are holding the reins, have their hands on the switch. They go bat sheet crazy.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I hate steve sammonds to the point that i no longer listen to tsn radio, and watch tsn programming far less than i used to simply because they employ that piece of trash.

Every time I go back, he comes on and reminds me to change the channel/station and not go back for longer periods of time.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
"he is a weasel who can not be trusted!"

a bit over-dramatic aren't we Simmons?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
He's got a persecution complex to rival Zoe Quinn and he likes to talk about how smart he is.

It was hilarious watching Bruke smack him down during a press conference and Simmons became even more sulky and petulant after that. When Burke was relieved of his duties Simmons tried to ask him a question during the presser and Burke said something along the lines of the best thing about leaving was that he would never have to deal with Simmons again.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Lol at the idea of someone who gets PAID to cover sports getting jealous of some Internet geek.

simmons had a legit beef with the one guy who printed a private conversation, which is dbaggy

the other guys he probably didn't even remember their names because they were so inconsequential to his work.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Don't you know, its not about the quality of the material but how many people will pay attention to it. I won't read his material but I do get a kick out of watching him on TV because he looks like a hamster wearing glasses

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad