What is the best way to tape a stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IkeaMonkey*

Skittles said:
Oh I go from toe to heel, when Im done, I continue from heel back to toe without ripping the tape.

Doesnt the tape twist when reaching the end of the first layer? Unless you just overlap the last strip and go back down the blade?

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
HokEGoalie said:
Doesnt the tape twist when reaching the end of the first layer? Unless you just overlap the last strip and go back down the blade?
Yea, Im not a good explainer nor teacher. I just do it like that because I'm lazy and don't enjoy taping, and I do it on rare ocasions so I put on a extra layer so I could use it longer.

I don't know if it works but I've done it for a while.

IkeaMonkey*

Skittles said:
Yea, Im not a good explainer nor teacher. I just do it like that because I'm lazy and don't enjoy taping, and I do it on rare ocasions so I put on a extra layer so I could use it longer.

I don't know if it works but I've done it for a while.

Here's a hint...it doesnt work for blade wear. I've done it before and it seemed to wear just as much ;).

However, since its supersticious, keep doing it. It's exactly how I am. Heel-to-Toe on my OPS and Toe-to-Heel on my woodies and shaft/blade combos.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
HokEGoalie said:
Here's a hint...it doesnt work for blade wear. I've done it before and it seemed to wear just as much ;).

However, since its supersticious, keep doing it. It's exactly how I am. Heel-to-Toe on my OPS and Toe-to-Heel on my woodies and shaft/blade combos.
Yea, but when you peel off the first layer it looks so clean and new except for the bottom.

usmhuskies

Accord said:
It matters a great deal. Taping your stick toe to heel completely defeats the purpose of having tape on your stick in the first place and will cause your shot to be far less accurate than if you tape it heel to toe.

:shakehead you got to be kidding me...I KNOW a lot of college players(espically D men) that tape there stick this way...When I played prep school I used to tape it this way as well...Please don't make me laugh....

IkeaMonkey*

usmhuskies said:
:shakehead you got to be kidding me...I KNOW a lot of college players(espically D men) that tape there stick this way...When I played prep school I used to tape it this way as well...Please don't make me laugh....

Taped the same way(occasionally) when I played prep as well. I was just very supersticious with my sticks. If something wasnt working out, i'd change it around a bit. If it be the tape job, cutting a stick shorter or even choosing a different blade pattern, I'd change it.

usmhuskies

HokEGoalie said:
Taped the same way(occasionally) when I played prep as well. I was just very supersticious with my sticks. If something wasnt working out, i'd change it around a bit. If it be the tape job, cutting a stick shorter or even choosing a different blade pattern, I'd change it.

Everything had to be the same for me, wouldn't change a thing and was always the last person on the ice to start each period from the locker room...hey maybe I should have changed a couple of things, nah it was never meant to be for me :) ...

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Well, I tried a new style today. heel to toe, covering 75% percent of the tape before. At the top of my stick I added another layer of tape.

I hadn't taped my stick for about 2 months, and I noticed a lot more grip with the puck this time. Taping = worth the money.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Skittles said:
Well, I tried a new style today. heel to toe, covering 75% percent of the tape before. At the top of my stick I added another layer of tape.

I hadn't taped my stick for about 2 months, and I noticed a lot more grip with the puck this time. Taping = worth the money.
try no tape at all. less grip but a lot harder for the goalie to read the shot coming off the stick.[ i just had to add this post] :)

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
i used to do that, but i could get my wrist shot to work. i can send the puck whereever i feel like with my fore-hand, but without tape it would even go up, nor move all that fast.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I do two 3 things when taping my stick.

1.) I make the bottom a little rough with sand paper.
2.) Put a strip of tape along the bottom of the blade
3.) Tape from heal to toe.

JasonMacIsaac said:
I do two 3 things when taping my stick.

1.) I make the bottom a little rough with sand paper.
2.) Put a strip of tape along the bottom of the blade
3.) Tape from heal to toe.

Spooky. I do the exact same routine. And I'm a goalie. As for the knob I use old skate laces wrapped 6" down the shaft and then balled at the end. Tape over top. Don't waste nearly as much tape.

BTW taping from heel-to-toe the tape job lasts longer. The reason being the direction of the overlap. If you tape toe-to-heel the overlaps actually catch snow as the stick moves forward. Heel-to-toe it slides off. Having snow caught in the tape creates moisture which breaks down the adhesive in the tape. Wax may reduce this though (I wouldn't know, don't use it.)

Also I'm pleased to see no forwards attempting to claim that "black tape hides the puck" or similar nonsense. It makes no difference at all. At least not to me.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Accord said:
It matters a great deal. Taping your stick toe to heel completely defeats the purpose of having tape on your stick in the first place and will cause your shot to be far less accurate than if you tape it heel to toe.

I disagree. I've ALWAYS taped toe-to-heel, and I have a very accurate shot. The puck spins off the blade properly this way, so you get a better shot.

And by the way, the PURPOSE of having tape on the stick is to have a cushion when receiving a pass and to help the blade last longer by having less wear on the bottom.

I always put an extra strip of tape along the bottom for extra protection, then tape toe-to-heel with black tape, overlapping slightly. When I'm done, I use baby powder to get rid of any stickiness on the tape, and a little candle wax or the "sex wax", but that does nothing, really, that I can see.
I have a fairly small tape knob at the top of my sticks, I make them by ripping the tape in half, then wrapping it around and around until it's the size I like, then just cover it with one layer of tape to smooth things out.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Anthony said:
what does the sandpaper thing do

ive never heard of that
it gets all the crap and sticky tape stuff off you stick, there smoother and easiler to move.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
when im being really anal and have a wood blade, i take a piece of the stretchy clear shin tape and put it on the bottom...then tape white cloth tape heel to toe. i go through wood pretty quick, im a big guy, so i do all ican to keep the blade from getting mushy. the stretchy tape repels water well and then i take it all off after the game. i guess i could use the wax, but water would still get thru. tape absorbs the water and makes the blade mushy. for a composite blade or for roller, heel to toe once and leave it till it falls off. less friction on the bottom is better for roller, though i still need the tape for puck feel.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
I do heel to toe, with 75% overlap: and I prefer red or blue tape. I want the blade to stand out for passes. I also overdo it when it comes to the knob and the grip (long grip with tight ridges).

Now I'm going to try toe to heel!

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Also as a goalie i prefer non white colored tape so u can see your stick with preverail vision when ur out of the crease cutting of angles. I put a piece of tape on the bottom then tape toe to heel

James P. #31

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
Accord said:
:shakehead

The purpose of having tape on your stick is to generate the most amount of grip on the puck as possible, and the only way to achieve the maximum amount of grip is to cause the puck to go against the grain by taping heel to toe. Taping heel to toe results in each strip of tape across the blade to act as a pocket which grips the puck. These pockets in the tape generate the maxiumum amount of centrifugal force and the more the puck spins, the more stable the puck will be in flight and your shot will be far more accurate.

This has been very basic hockey knowledge for decades, come on man...

Nice try but no dice.....doesn't matter which way you tape a stick

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I am an Australian. I'm a beginner player so I'm very bad.

What is the difference between black tape and white tape? Is it actually different or is it a visibility thing?

cheers

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Westcoasthabsfan said:
It has nothing to do with it..... :lol:
In my personal experience, taping toe to heel causes the tape to wear much faster. I don't find this a problem for games but when i play shinny, my stick takes more damage toe to heal as the tape often comes off at certain points.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad