What is the best way to tape a stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Black tape, heel to toe. Once it's taped up, I take Easton stick wax and spread it across the entire back and front of the taped sections of the blade and then rub the way it into the tape with the side of a puck I keep in my bag.

Friction tape sucks.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
I go from heel-to-toe...going top down on the front of the blade and down-top on the back of the blade....when i pull down, i pull it as tight as possible, same going up....i cover about 25% of the strip on each successive strip (if that makes sense?).

Afterwards I just use the roll of tape to further tighten the tape going from toe to heel to make sure everything is smooth.

And I use white tape.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Black tape.

I start at the heel. Always at the top, and always at the back. I go down the back, up the front until I am about a half inch from the end....and I always end on the front of the blade at the top.

IkeaMonkey*

Come on people! Gotta accesorize here! I got 5 different colors of tape, gotta blend that stuff in with the blade/shaft!

For me, Heel to Toe. Tightening as im getting to the bottom, then tightening towards the top. I don't cover much of the blade with tape, just a little zone or so, that mentally helps me when shooting.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Goalie here - Toe to heel :dunno: the way I've always done it. And to get that tape roll knob on the end of the stick, stand the stick straight up on a table or something like that (shaft down) and spin the tape around the shaft. Makes for a nice neat job.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
usmhuskies said:
I have done it this way as well: it really dosen't matter...
It matters a great deal. Taping your stick toe to heel completely defeats the purpose of having tape on your stick in the first place and will cause your shot to be far less accurate than if you tape it heel to toe.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Accord said:
It matters a great deal. Taping your stick toe to heel completely defeats the purpose of having tape on your stick in the first place and will cause your shot to be far less accurate than if you tape it heel to toe.
Taping toe to heel will cause your blade to get chewed up very very fast.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Accord said:

It doesn't matter to me at all.......I can't play the puck worth a ****, the direction of tape on my blade isn't gonna help me at all. :help:

IkeaMonkey*

Accord said:

LOL. I hope thats a joke...

IkeaMonkey*

markov` said:
What is "heel to toe"? I am a french speaker and I don't really understand. Clarify me please.

Heel = Part of the blade closest to the shaft.

Toe = End of the blade.

When you hear "toe curve", its implying the curve is towards the end of the blade.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
DaveyCrockett said:
Taping toe to heel will cause your blade to get chewed up very very fast.

Do you play forward or D? Only thing I can think is toe-to-heel has the ice pulling the tape back when you skate forward with your stick on the ice. What other difference could there be? I've heard some defenseman prefer toe-to-heel because they spend so much time skating backwards.

Mar 4, 2003
Ottawa
I use white tape.

I always take a strip of tape and tape it on the bottom of the blade...so it's a sort of cushion for the blade (I hope that makes sense..? heheh). Anyways I then tape it heel to toe, covering about 50% of the last roll.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
HokEGoalie said:
LOL. I hope thats a joke...
:shakehead

The purpose of having tape on your stick is to generate the most amount of grip on the puck as possible, and the only way to achieve the maximum amount of grip is to cause the puck to go against the grain by taping heel to toe. Taping heel to toe results in each strip of tape across the blade to act as a pocket which grips the puck. These pockets in the tape generate the maxiumum amount of centrifugal force and the more the puck spins, the more stable the puck will be in flight and your shot will be far more accurate.

This has been very basic hockey knowledge for decades, come on man...

Last edited:

IkeaMonkey*

Accord said:
:shakehead

The purpose of having tape on your stick is to generate the most amount of grip on the puck as possible, and the only way to achieve the maximum amount of grip is to cause the puck to go against the grain by taping heel to toe. Taping heel to toe results in each strip of tape across the blade to act as a pocket which grips the puck. These pockets in the tape generate the maxiumum amount of centrifugal force and the more the puck spins, the more stable the puck will be in flight and your shot will be far more accurate.

This has been very basic hockey knowledge for decades, come on man...

I'll repeat...

LOL....Please tell me that was a joke.

You throw all this mombo jumbo about pockets and centrifugal force, however if you are taping a stick toe-to-heel, the tape has the exact same effect as if taking it heel to toe. The tape does not reverse itself, it does not weaken, it does not lose its grip. You can tape a blade up just as tight toe-to-heel as you can heel-to-toe.

Also, the main point of tape on a stick is to prevent blade wear, not grip. Grip is secondary. The curve of the blade is far more important for grip and stick handling than tape.

If you'd like, I could show you two blades of mine, one of which I taped heel-to-toe and the other I taped toe-to-heel. There is absolutely no difference in appearance between the tapejobs.

Edit:Scratch that, I snapped one of my toe-to-heel blades in my last game.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
heel to toe, white on defence, black on foreward, unless your a center then white tape so you can write a little note on it to the opossing center!:)

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
I use white tape, from heel to toe, double layers then I smooth it out with my fat ass. (i sit on it)

IkeaMonkey*

2112 said:
I use white tape.

I always take a strip of tape and tape it on the bottom of the blade...so it's a sort of cushion for the blade (I hope that makes sense..? heheh). Anyways I then tape it heel to toe, covering about 50% of the last roll.

I used to do that when I played roller hockey or street hockey. It's not needed as much on ice, but it worked...a bit off ice.

IkeaMonkey*

Skittles said:
I use white tape, from heel to toe, double layers then I smooth it out with my fat ass. (i sit on it)

So you slap a layer on, then throw a layer on top of that?? Or do you just layer it once, but overlap alot?

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Oh I go from toe to heel, when Im done, I continue from heel back to toe without ripping the tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->