Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1713046494153.png

Last edited:

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
The best if you look at quality of the teams and size of the clubs now and throughout history, Real Madrid-Barcelona and Manchester United- Liverpool

the fiercest in my opinion the derby between Olympiakos-Panathinaikos in Athens/Greece.. The Greek's are wild and passionate people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Say Hey Kid

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
The best if you look at quality of the teams and size of the clubs now and throughout history, Real Madrid-Barcelona.

That's the most important for me to consider and why chose Barca vs Real. Passionate or even too passionate/violent fans is certainly a thing, but the quality of football and individual players matter the most.

Not that there's lack of meaning because of outside of football issues (Catalunya independence hopes) more than any other rivalries mentioned here. I guess somebody could make an argument for religious being close to same tension, but those are still within the same religion, not some holy war or crusades type of rivalry.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Not that there's lack of meaning because of outside of football issues (Catalunya independence hopes) more than any other rivalries mentioned here.
I think nowadays less than half of Barcelona's fans are independentist though. That nationalist bubble fortunately seems to have burst.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The best if you look at quality of the teams and size of the clubs now and throughout history, Real Madrid-Barcelona and Manchester United.

the fiercest in my opinion the derby between Olympiakos-Panathinaikos in Athens/Greece.. The Greek's are wild and passionate peole.

Arguably the Greek derbies are better in basketball though, relatively better level of play and more intimate arenas.

(Aris vs. PAOK)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If there is not a risk of being stabbed, then it isn't the best football rivalry. That is why I chose Derby della Capitale, but you cannot go against Boca vs River either (which is probably more violent, but for more stupid reasons.).

Those two and The Eternal Derby (which you're missing) are the most dangerous IMHO and the best. Celtic and Rangers is another extremely good one, but back in the 70s and 80s, not so much anymore because of how bad Rangers have been.

None of those English rivalries are the best, Millwall vs West Ham and Wolves vs West Brom could be worse in terms of intensity and ferociousness.

E: The best to watch was by far El Clasico around 2010, just crazy good football.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Fiercest I've ever heard about in terms of what the cities are like during the match is River Plate and Boca Juniors.
I have been to that match at Monumental stadium. Such a scary experience and I was in the private boxes which is a bit less scary. People were insulting us because me and my brother were not cheering and chanting all game with them. Btw no fans of Boca are allowed and the away players have to be protected by inflatable tunnel when they enter the pitch and they cannot pick up the ball when the ball goes out of play because the fans throw things at them. I liked the experience but I would never bring kids or any women there, it's way too dangerous.

After the match they have special force and police to prevent riot. I was happy they won that game because the fans were very angry and aggressive and if they lost that game I could only imagine the madness that it would create.

Last edited:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
If there is not a risk of being stabbed, then it isn't the best football rivalry. That is why I chose Derby della Capitale, but you cannot go against Boca vs River either (which is probably more violent, but for more stupid reasons.).

Those two and The Eternal Derby (which you're missing) are the most dangerous IMHO and the best. Celtic and Rangers is another extremely good one, but back in the 70s and 80s, not so much anymore because of how bad Rangers have been.

None of those English rivalries are the best, Millwall vs West Ham and Wolves vs West Brom could be worse in terms of intensity and ferociousness.

E: The best to watch was by far El Clasico around 2010, just crazy good football.
What's the biggest rivalry in Poland right now?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

By default it's still Kraków (Cracovia & Wisła), but given that they're not in the same league currently right now as in 2023/24 I'll go for:

1. Silesia (Górnik Zabrze & Ruch Chorzów) - Ekstraklasa

Two historically very successful clubs together in the top flight for the first time in years, Ruch fighting a losing battle against relegation and their recently more successful local rivals Górnik delivered a few nails to that coffin in the derbies this season.

2. Łódź (ŁKS & Widzew) - Ekstraklasa

Both teams have over the last decade went through the hell of bankruptcy and 4th tier amateur football, now rejoined for the first time in a long while at the highest level.

3. Trójmiasto (Arka Gdynia & Lechia Gdańsk) - I Liga

The top two teams in the second-tier I Liga, have been separated for a few years and now unusually successful together as both are likely to go up and get to fight for the glory of that league title head-to-head. Lechia vs. Arka still coming up May 18-19

4. Rzeszów (Resovia & Stal) - I Liga

Both have decades of agony behind and have now enjoyed 2nd league football together for a couple of years, really reclaiming their place among the big derbies in the calendar rather than just the most underrated one. They're also sharing the same somewhat rustic stadium and the fans of the hosting team get the main stand which adds to the nostalgic derby atmosphere.

5. Poznań (Lech & Warta) - Ekstraklasa

Lech Poznań has no reason to take Warta all that seriously, it's not a real rivalry and there's no particular fierceness, but nevertheless they're now both in the highest league and actually form the most elite derby in Poland when it comes to success on the field right now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Some of the worst are in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th divisions. That's where the true crazy and racists are like in Germany.

One of the worst I've seen is Star Starachowice vs Siarka Tarnobrzeg. Not sure if you can find stuff on YouTube, but they hide flares and rocks on their children like Boca Junior fans do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad