What is the best case scenario for deadline day?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Getting the Phaneuf deal done was huge, but I'm good with peddling as many UFA's as possible by Deadline Day. Still have the entry draft to come, and the Kessel deal was made during Free Agent Frenzy.

Last edited:

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Trade Bernier, Lupul, and Bozak without retention

This would exorcise the rotten core once and for all!

Bernier's value is at an all time low, rather trade Riemer to make the tank 10x stronger.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
What is the obsession with trading Bozak at all costs? We need players next season. More then we need Cs so Willy isnt thrown to wolves next season.

If someone wants to overpay for him, then fine. But im not giving him away for nothing.

Best case for me is moving one or both of the goalies, and all of the remaining UFAs for good deals.

I am pretty sure Willie is the WOLF.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Lupul is basically as untradable as Clarkson at this point. I have a hard time seeing a taker for him.

Bozak definitely could be shopped, but with just 2 years left on his deal, I dont necessarily see the harm in keeping him until that final year

Definitely though Id love to see all the pending UFA's (save Reimer) traded. If you can find a keeper for Lupul, Im all for taking back a Nathan Horton (not sure if one is out there)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Bernier's value is at an all time low, rather trade Riemer to make the tank 10x stronger.

Trading a player when they're value is low is only bad if you expect it to increase again. If you think it's just in free fall and going to get worse then better to get out while the getting is good.

Bernier's value is in the toilet but I don't see it getting any better. I'd probably just get rid of him so I wouldn't have to have his contract on the books next year. If we could get something for him then bonus, I don't expect to get anything for him if we wait so I don't see the point.

Granted I'd only trade 1 goalie, if you trade Reimer then Bernier should stay, if you can sign Reimer to something reasonable then trade Bernier. 1 of them should be here next year imo. No need to go spend on a goalie when there's 2 meh goalies here already who are good enough for a rebuild.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Trading a player when they're value is low is only bad if you expect it to increase again. If you think it's just in free fall and going to get worse then better to get out while the getting is good.

Bernier's value is in the toilet but I don't see it getting any better. I'd probably just get rid of him so I wouldn't have to have his contract on the books next year. If we could get something for him then bonus, I don't expect to get anything for him if we wait so I don't see the point.

Granted I'd only trade 1 goalie, if you trade Reimer then Bernier should stay, if you can sign Reimer to something reasonable then trade Bernier. 1 of them should be here next year imo. No need to go spend on a goalie when there's 2 meh goalies here already who are good enough for a rebuild.

I totally agree with your point of view, but who is going to pick him at $4 M, when his value is so low?

We are stuck with him and him play for another year and then bye bye

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Hands off Kadri and Gardiner
I see no great urgency to trade Bozak, unless somebody makes a great offer.
Lupul would be nice to be rid of, but ain't going to happen.
Nice to have one of the goalies gone. No preference.
Polak, Parenteau, Grabner, Boyes, Arcobello, Clune, Spaling for whatever we can get.
Maricin, I wouldn't mind holding on to for another year just in case he blossoms a bit.

Give Hunter and Dubas mucho picks to play with.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Best case scenario at the trade deadline is trading Polak, Parenteau and a 7th round pick to the Edmonton Oilers for Connor McDavid.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
best case scenario we're walking to the podium 210 times this summer :D

Thats the most ridiculous thing I ever heard!

Why would you walk up and down 210 times, just take your list and shout out all the names one time. :sarcasm:

Re-sign Reimer and Kadri. Trade Bozak and Lupul and all other UFA's for picks.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Best case:

Somebody decides that PAP, Boyes, Spaling, Grabner, Michalek, Greening and Lupul are all worth something, and that we don't have to retain on anyone but Grabner.

The likelyhood of that happening? basically zero.

Bonus: We're able to get reasonable value out of one of our goalies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
With Dion gone along with Other salaries off the hook. I think the Leafs should keep Lupul and Bozak around in order to hit the cap floor.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Best case scenario is we free up more cap space by dumping the top two highest paid contracts. That way we can afford not just Stamkos but another superstar.

Trade Bernier. Keep Reims.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Reimer gone, Bozak gone, JVR gone, Lupul gone, Bernier injured, Komarov 20 game suspension for decking next ref who doesn't call hit to the head on him, Kadri injured, Grabner gone, Polak gone for a 2nd, PAP gone for a second, etc etc etc

This would be the best TDL day ever

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With Dion gone along with Other salaries off the hook. I think the Leafs should keep Lupul and Bozak around in order to hit the cap floor.

You do realize that we actually took on MORE short-term salary with the Phaneuf trade?

We definitely don't need to keep Lupul or even Bozak to hit the cap floor. And if by some reason we do need salary to reach the cap floor, it will be an incredible easy thing to do to trade for a contract or two.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

If they can get a 1st rounder and a D prospect from Dallas for a package that requires taking Lehtonen or Niemi, I would definitely move both goalies. It's likely a pipe dream but I would do something like this. I would actually consider it for any veteran goalie with 2 years left on their contract.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
JVR for 133% of the Bobby Ryan deal (Top 10 1st, 2x prospects).

Lupul @ 50% for 2nd + prospect

Kadri for Dumba (or similar type deal).

Gardiner + for Drouin

Polak for 2nd 2017
Parenteau for 2nd 2017
Grabner for 2x 4ths 2017
Clune + pick, Spaling + prospect for better plugs for next year

BERNIER + 2x 2nds for Calgary 1st + Ramo

Guess it was Spaling for cap dump + 2nd 2018

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
#DeBurkenize

Every day and trade is 1 step closer to scorched earth as promised.

The further we move from the past the closer we get to achieving our intended goal.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
What is the obsession with trading Bozak at all costs? We need players next season. More then we need Cs so Willy isnt thrown to wolves next season.

If someone wants to overpay for him, then fine. But im not giving him away for nothing.

Best case for me is moving one or both of the goalies, and all of the remaining UFAs for good deals.

Agreed - which is why I think the BEST case scenario involves

- Bozak + perhaps other parts gone; for a viable, controllable young player. Hopefully a defenceman. A player who could become a solid 2nd line winger or 2nd pairing d-man, perhaps. This would have to be a value for value deal with a team who needs a 2nd line centre.

- at least one other experienced vet/roster player we can plug into our lineup for the rest of this year, while getting rid of Parenteau, Grabner. We have the cap space to take on an expiring but high-priced contract

- we have the goalie situation resolved temporarily. That's either, Reimer re-signed and Bernier dealt, or perhaps Reimer dealt and we get a solid vet goalie in return that can be a platoon/back-up.

So essentially, best case, we get rid of Grabner, Parenteau, Bozak and hopefully Bernier all for good picks and a couple of roster players.

OMG, I forgot. Best case, we trade Lupul for a 2nd. That would be awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad