What is the 3rd most popular Canadian team?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If that were to be true you’d still see an uptick in social media followings, which you don’t. Even the author who wrote the article claimed his findings are skewed due to just McDavid and the Edmonton/Calgary series being a large portion of the searches
Yeh that's understandable.. Without McDavid Oilers would be on par with Flames or slightly below.

"The Oilers have gone from the lowest revenue team 20 years ago to the top money maker in the National Hockey League, reports Forbes magazine, generating US$281 million in 2022-23 (tied with Toronto).Jan 19, 2024"

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Yeh that's understandable.. Without McDavid Oilers would be on par with Flames or slightly below.

"The Oilers have gone from the lowest revenue team 20 years ago to the top money maker in the National Hockey League, reports Forbes magazine, generating US$281 million in 2022-23 (tied with Toronto).Jan 19, 2024"
McDavid + arena + smaller but loyal fan base

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That is your biggest mistake. Stop bringing your buddies to the Sens games who aren't Ottawa fans. This is not a kumbaya event it's a hockey game. As a Sens fan do you know how bad it looks on TV to see so many opposing teams fans in our own building? Especially watching this as I sit 5-hours away? Lol

I value my friendships more than what people think watching a hockey game from home.

As someone who actually shells out large sums of money to the team for tickets every year since 2003, your opinion sitting 5 hours away is particularly irrelevant.

Ottawa is a smaller market with an even smaller corporate ticket base so the team will always struggle at home against bigger markets unless they become competitive again.

Last edited:

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
If we're basing popularity off social media followers it's Vancouver.
Only when they are winning. Sorry, canuck fans may get annoyed but when they are struggling? Fans go into the witness relocation program. Oilers and Flames fans tend to be there 24/7/365. Nothing against jets or sens, but I think in general they are not as crazy as oilers and flames fans. Not all but some Sens fans just cheer for the Habs or Leafs when the sens are struggling.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
The team stopped giving them free access to those seats, so they stopped coming. They were more of a team made gimmick than actual fans

All teams gave lots of free tickets away till the NHLPA wanted to have the face value applied against their agreements.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I'd imagine it's Vancouver by a decent margin based on population gap alone
I guess it would depend on what you're measuring. The Oilers are surely a better draw in the US atm, as evidenced by the number of national broadcasts they're getting this year.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
Ottawa is a top 5 hockey market in the world (relative to population). Problem is it's a hockey/NHL city and not so much a 'Sens' city. Unfortunate and disappointing. The kids follow the 'superstars' and the Boomers won't let go of the past.

Hopefully Andlaur and Co. find the secret sauce to this market somehow.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa is a top 5 hockey market in the world (relative to population). Problem is it's a hockey/NHL city and not so much a 'Sens' city. Unfortunate and disappointing. The kids follow the 'superstars' and the Boomers won't let go of the past.

Hopefully Andlaur and Co. find the secret sauce to this market somehow.

Winning has always helped.

It’s been awhile.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Top 3 teams are pretty solidified as Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver, have been over the years

View attachment 842701View attachment 842702View attachment 842703View attachment 842704
Due to data farms being used I do not go off of social media followings any more.

Also, I do not judge a fan base when the team is winning..I judge them when they are losing year and year. Even when their teams are losing Oilers, leaf and Habs board are "fun places".

lets look at posting numbers from this board for social media

Edmonton posting total------3.1mil
Calgary posting Total------622k (75% of flames fans are on calgary puck and other socia media outlets)
Vancouver total post---2.4 mill
Jets total post 2mill
Sens 2 mill
Leafs 5.2 mill
habs 4.7 Mill

As someone who has been here 1 or 2 days, when Vancouver is winning..the have a very large fan base. But when they are losing? Their fan base suffers the greatest loss.

But these stats are only for people who believe the posting stats mean anything for this site.

Reactions: RattsSSV and PuckG

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
Due to data farms being used I do not go off of social media followings any more.

Also, I do not judge a fan base when the team is winning..I judge them when they are losing year and year. Even when their teams are losing Oilers, leaf and Habs board are "fun places".

Calgary posting Total------622k (75% of flames fans are on calgary puck and other socia media outlets)
Jets total post 2mill
Sens 2 mill
Leafs 5.2 mill
habs 4.7 Mill

As someone who has been here 1 or 2 days, when Vancouver is winning..the have a very large fan base. But when they are losing? Their fan base suffers the greatest loss.

But these stats are only for people who believe the posting stats mean anything for this site.
"Person" with 100, 000 posts explains to you "data farming" ...lol, ok

Reactions: Three On Zero

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Jets total post 2mill
Sens 2 mill
Leafs 5.2 mill
habs 4.7 Mill

HF is also a pretty small platform compared too other hockey forums, Canucks largest platform was shut down this year.

All data points to them being 3rd and it’s a non contest which is remarkable considering they are a mediocre franchise. Outside of personal opinion of a few Oiler fans there is nothing to indicate they have a fan base that doesn’t support the team during the tougher times. Based on popularity it actually shows the opposite

Last edited:

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
HF is also a pretty small platform compared too other hockey forums, Canucks largest platform was shut down this year.

All data points to them being 3rd and it’s a non contest which is remarkable considering they are a mediocre franchise. Outside of personal opinion of a few Oiler fans there is nothing to indicate they have a fan base that doesn’t support the team during the tougher times. Based on popularity it actually shows the opposite

Disagree with Canucks being 3rd.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It’s not remarkable at all.

We only have three large cities in this country and Vancouver is 3rd when it comes to hockey.

Edmonton is an outlier for their size because kids love generational talents.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's the Oilers mainly because McDavid, when you have the best player on the modern era and the no.1 athlete in Canada, it's going to come with significant perks. Just is what it is.

He's the first Canadian major team sport athlete we've had in Canada who's the best in the world in a long while. Steve Nash played in Phoenix when he won his two MVPs, Donovan Bailey was at his peak in the 90s but that's not really a team sport. Before that it would be Gretzky in the 80s I guess.

You can go to random towns in Sask, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, etc. and you'll find kids who idolize/watch a lot of McDavid because hockey is still quite popular in Canada (go figure) if you ask people which athlete they'd like to see, McDavid will be high on the list if not tops. He's the best athlete we've had in Canada in a long time (1988?) and he plays a highlight reel style of hockey that will be popular with younger kids.

Alberta's population is also booming whereas the other provinces aren't so much, B.C. used to be much larger than Alberta in population, the gap has narrowed. Alberta is now over 4.8 million people, will be over 5 million soon.

The Oilers have a lot of fans in Southern Alberta even as well, even in the heart of Calgary there's a ton of Oilers fans. Sask too. You see McDavid jerseys all over the place in even the Calgary area.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It’s not remarkable at all.

We only have three large cities in this country and Vancouver is 3rd when it comes to hockey.

Edmonton is an outlier because kids love generational talents.
If only if worked that well for the Grizzlies :laugh:

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Look at posts 13 and 32? They lead by quite a few sources
I have and another poster pointed out about one of the problems with getting proper gauge of social media is that fact there are people out the make a lot of money off being paid to fallow certain people and business on social media. There is a fallacy about putting more emphasis on who follows who over interactions. Several business and social influencers have been caught out at padding their numbers via using individuals or companies in Vietnam. Cambodia and Laos, to increase their numbers. Like any analytical numbers, simply posting a graph is not evidence, you need to break down, rebuild and explain the numbers. With twitter there is a rumor that X will be doing a purge of any accounts that have not been active for 5 years or more. The numbers on twitter, youtube and other social media outlets factors in all time accounts and not just active.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I have and another poster pointed out about one of the problems with getting proper gauge of social media is that fact there are people out the make a lot of money off being paid to fallow certain people and business on social media. There is a fallacy about putting more emphasis on who follows who over interactions. Several business and social influencers have been caught out at padding their numbers via using individuals or companies in Vietnam. Cambodia and Laos, to increase their numbers. Like any analytical numbers, simply posting a graph is not evidence, you need to break down, rebuild and explain the numbers. With twitter there is a rumor that X will be doing a purge of any accounts that have not been active for 5 years or more. The numbers on twitter, youtube and other social media outlets factors in all time accounts and not just active.
So remove the social media ones, that doesn’t take away the two with polls where they are still 3rd. All the data lines up the same, makes it hard to argue against it

Shareef Abdur-Rahim FTW!
Canada needs more basketball teams, they can’t support them but they still need them

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So remove the social media ones, that doesn’t take away the two with polls where they are still 3rd. All the data lines up the same, makes it hard to argue against it

Canada needs more basketball teams, they can’t support them but they still need them

A lot of NBA players wouldn't want to play in Vancouver, that was the problem back then, probably would remain a problem today.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
A lot of NBA players wouldn't want to play in Vancouver, that was the problem back then, probably would remain a problem today.
Players not wanting to play wasn’t a team/location issue it was an issue that players had with the teams ownership/management group back than. Steve Francis did a good job explaining what was wrong with the Grizzlies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad