What is Sean Walker?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Is he a fluke? or is he the next Lubomir Visnovsky?

There's always players who were never highly touted prospects but end up being excellent NHL players. Is that what we have on our hands with Walker?

His play has almost been too good to be true. Is he the next Kyle Quincey? Or is he a legit top 4 NHL Dman?

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I thought his last few games weren't his best. But then he plays probably the best game of his career yesterday. If he can continue this play and develop, he could be at least a decent 2nd pair RHD.

Not bad for a guy who didn't even get an NHL contract out of college.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
He's looking like he could be a Dan Boyle type Dman... and another free asset at that
Dan Boyle is also the player I thought of as a ceiling for Sean Walker. Smart, sneaky, and decisive. Not bad in his own zone, but not great, yet.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Answer to title, he's human from what I see.

To post, he possibly could be a great second pair dman. Hes got all the tools, and I see a toolbox there too. Keeps improving maybe a first pair dman.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
So far, he's at worst LA's 2nd best dman this season. Smart player that can skate better than most. I think 16-19 minutes a night seems manageable. More than that and he may wear down a bit. I'd like to see him more on the PP.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’d have to agree with most of you. I came into the year thinking he would be the best of the younger d-men but thought his up side was bottom pair, with some pp time. I got that very wrong.

I think he’s looking like he will be a good second pairing guy, with his ceiling as a #3. The thought of Björnfot and Anderson slotting in maybe next year with him and Drew is very exciting. He’s been a great find.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
When we signed him I figured he was just there to round out the Reign roster. I remember seeing him a couple times for the Reign a couple years ago and always walked away being impressed with him. Never thought he'd get the chance in the NHL, but he's taken the reigns and ran with it. I don't know what his ceiling is, but imo he has earned his way to staying on the roster in the near future unlike Roy.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
eyJpdSI6IjcwMGNiZDg0OWJhYWVmNGE0MGMyNjVhNGM0ODlmMzU0NmM3ZjUyODQyMWJhYTA4YzRhNzM5ODM5OTI0ZmU2NjciLCJ3IjoyMTAsImgiOjE0MCwiZCI6MS41LCJjcyI6MCwiZiI6NH0.webp

Reactions: Lt Dan

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i've been completely blown away by the strides he's taken since camp so i'm not truly evaluating til the end of the season

i'll just say he's been a very pleasant surprise and i'm glad the org developed him and pulled a top 4 D out of its ass

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
I was his biggest critic but he has completely shut me up. I agree that last night was the best game ive seen him play so far

Reactions: kilowatt

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Walker has been great. Will be a good on the middle pair or elite on the 3rd pair. Also Matt Roy started the year bad but has been playing better as time goes

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Legit 2nd pairing d-man, 2nd coming of Voynov without the booming slapper. Good as a #2 next to Doughty but ideally #3. If we can have a top 3 of Drew/Toby/Walker next season that'll be a huge step forward, double if Anderson can be a #4 right away.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I suspect that Walker’s breakout and Hutton’s general competence will lead to Martinez or Forbort being traded.

Walker has been excellent this year. I was definitely critical of him - I think I even said he wasn’t a top six defenseman on a playoff team - but I was very, very wrong. He has often been our best defenseman, and certainly no worse than second-best this season.

Hope he keeps it up.

Reactions: tny760

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
To answer what is Sean Walker....progression. It's basically what we want to see, our prospects and younger players breaking into the league getting better with more playing time. In Sean' s case he's already physically matured at 25 so his next step is to be smarter and make the right on ice decisions. He could turn out to be a Petry lite D for us which is a nice add to our future D core.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I suspect that Walker’s breakout and Hutton’s general competence will lead to Martinez or Forbort being traded.

Walker has been excellent this year. I was definitely critical of him - I think I even said he wasn’t a top six defenseman on a playoff team - but I was very, very wrong. He has often been our best defenseman, and certainly no worse than second-best this season.

Hope he keeps it up.

I just hope Martinez is ok. That looked rough.

What is ironic is Karlson once blamed Matt Cooke for purposefully stepping on him. I do not think this was purposeful at all but hopefully he realizes what happened to him happens.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
The Kings still need that eventual replacement for DD. They don't have a true #1 guy. Only way to get it is via the Draft most likely. This year, the best guy looks to be Drysdale and he slots in as the #4-6 pick.

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The Kings still need that eventual replacement for DD. They don't have a true #1 guy. Only way to get it is via the Draft most likely. This year, the best guy looks to be Drysdale and he slots in as the #4-6 pick.

If LA falls to 3 I may go against my "Don't draft a goalie in round 1" rule. Seems like a sure fire guy sitting there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad