Speculation: What Is Needed for a Cup Run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Stemp shouldn't come out of the lineup. Fast should come out before him, but neither should really. It's hard to find an upgrade on anyone we have in the lineup that is going to be reasonable to acquire. Forward wise that is. Obviously Hall but that's not realistic.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Stemp shouldn't come out of the lineup. Fast should come out before him, but neither should really. It's hard to find an upgrade on anyone we have in the lineup that is going to be reasonable to acquire. Forward wise that is. Obviously Hall but that's not realistic.

Exactly.

It's hard to upgrade this forward core without sacrificing something. And most of the upgrades aren't worth the assets to acquire.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I definitely think we need to add a forward. Doesn't have to be someone as good as Hall, but if someone gets injured or Kreider gets suspended for goalie hunting, because you know, he's such a dirty player, we can't have Tanner Glass playing important games.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I wouldn't mind an okay 13th forward. One should be available for a low pick at the TDL.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If we're looking for 4th line wingers/spare forward types--two guys I'd target would be Nicolas Deslauriers of the Sabres and Lance Bouma of the Flames--they both skate and forecheck well and play with edge. They'll be cheap affordable players we could keep for a little while anyway. Deslauriers is really tough plus he came up as a defenseman so he could fill in there in a pinch. Bouma is just a pain in the ass to play against. Buffalo isn't going to make the playoffs and Calgary probably won't either. Both those teams might be amenable to a trade and a late 2nd might do it though I think I'd try a 3rd and maybe a guy like Kristo or just McIlrath straight up.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Bouma for sure isn't getting trade. And even if he was, he'd be an every day player.

I know absolutely nothing about Deslauriers.

arunnair87

Aug 12, 2009
What do we need for a cup run? A faceoff coach if those exist.

All our centers (except D. Moore) need serious lessons.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Bouma for sure isn't getting trade. And even if he was, he'd be an every day player.

I know absolutely nothing about Deslauriers.

Deslauriers is like a younger Matt Martin. A better skater though and maybe even tougher. He won't score a lot but as a 4th liner--13th forward he'd be okay. I think the Sabres have plans for him. If I were Sather and I were looking for a depth forward (dumping Glass in the meantime) I'd ring up Buffalo if nothing else to kick the tires. And personally I think it's a bonus that Deslauriers can play D.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Not that far of a reach as

a) one or both teams may start sliding as the cream starts to rise (I'm not sure there's room for both DET or BOS with the way some teams are playing. NYR, NYI, MON, WAS, PIT, TBL are locks. With the way Florida, Ottawa, Toronto, and Winnipeg have looked lately, it's going to be a struggle for both teams to make the wild card.

b) more importantly, both teams have holes to fill; more than the Rangers. Perhaps DET likes the idea of adding JMoore on the cheap along with some NHL-ready prospects (ie Miller).

Detroit's defense is all out of whack.

Trading Helm and Kindl and brining in Miller, JMoore, and picks/prospects clears more than 3M which DET will need for what seems like their inevitable trade for a top RHD like Tyler Myers or Byfuglien. BOS could also afford to part with UFA-to-be Carl Soderberg if it means improving their team / filling another need / clearing space for a separate re-tool / series of trades that improve their team. Their mojo is missing and they could certainly benefit from some sort of shake-up.

It's a reach, sure. But it's not out of the realm of possibility.

That's why I would inquire about those players and see what their GMs are looking to do. Especially in Helm's case: with the emergence and accelerated development of guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, etc... Helm becomes expendable in DET. Abelkader and Drew Miller have become mainstays there as well and both are significantly cheaper than Helm.

I'm not great on exact values for trades, but I'd be looking at something like

JT Miller, J Moore, one of [Haggerty/Kristo/Allen/McIlrath], and one of our 2nd round draft picks

for Helm and one of [Kindl / Smith]

Hagelin Hayes Helm

as our 3rd line.

Kindl / Klein

as our bottom pair.

No weaknesses throughout the entire lineup.

Helm is due $2.25M cap hit next year. We do not have the cap space to pay him over $2M.

Also, not trading Miller for Helm. No way.

In the cap era, you need depth players to emerge from your farm system. We cannot entertain 3rd/4th liners that make $2-3M. (It's why Hagelin is probably gone after this year)

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Our biggest need is a forward that can win draws on a consistent level. That's one area where we miss Brian Boyle very much. If we can get a guy like that in here that can win draws we could be in pretty good shape going forward. That's a need, everything else is a luxury. I'm also ok with giving up a player, prospect or pick to achieve that goal.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The bottom 6 still seems like a jumbled mess to me. Lots of guys like Stemp, Miller, Glass, etc that are rotating around the lineup, but not really grabbing a spot/role. I would like a guy like Glass that could actually play hockey to settle the 4th line and add a little more physicality.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
I wouldn't change anything at this point. But if the Rangers INSISTED on making a move and decide Hagelin is the odd man out (considering he is an RFA I could see teams wanting to bring him in), then I wouldn't hate a move for Sekera to pair him with Klein...

McD - Dan
Staal - Boyle
Sekera - Klein

...or bringing in Vermette as our 3C.

Nash - Brass - Zuke
Kreider - Step - MSL
Hayes - Vermette - Fast
Stemp - DMoore - Miller

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I wouldn't change anything at this point. But if the Rangers INSISTED on making a move and decide Hagelin is the odd man out (considering he is an RFA I could see teams wanting to bring him in), then I wouldn't hate a move for Sekera to pair him with Klein...

McD - Dan
Staal - Boyle
Sekera - Klein

...or bringing in Vermette as our 3C.

Nash - Brass - Zuke
Kreider - Step - MSL
Hayes - Vermette - Fast
Stemp - DMoore - Miller

Hagelin is criminally underrated. Smart player who is capable of playing in all situations. Top penalty killer and one of the fastest players in the league playing in a system that requires speed and lots of it.

He is no more expendable than most of the forwards requiring contracts. In fact, I think making a decision between the redundancy or St. Louis and Zuccarello is a tougher one than retaining Hagelin.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Hagelin is criminally underrated. Smart player who is capable of playing in all situations. Top penalty killer and one of the fastest players in the league playing in a system that requires speed and lots of it.

He is no more expendable than most of the forwards requiring contracts. In fact, I think making a decision between the redundancy or St. Louis and Zuccarello is a tougher one than retaining Hagelin.

Completely agree. He can play on any line and contribute.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Completely agree. He can play on any line and contribute.

He may very well be, but there probably was a blog somewhere that mentioned Sekera and Vermette's advanced stats and undisclosed availability, and this makes trading Hagelin a smart business decision.

I always believe what I read.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
He may very well be, but there probably was a blog somewhere that mentioned Sekera and Vermette's advanced stats and undisclosed availability, and this makes trading Hagelin a smart business decision.

I always believe what I read.

Maybe you were reading the wrong thing because Hags is a very good possession driver. He shouldn't be traded till the off season anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad