Speculation: What Is Needed for a Cup Run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
wouldn't mind adding Max Talbot from Colorado he has to be a better 13th forward then Tanner Glass and the fact that he can play center helps us if Hayes is overwhelmed in the post season.

Zuccarello Awesome*

Talbot has slowed down considerably and he's always hurt.

I'd rather inquire about Helm in DET or Soderberg(UFA to be) in BOS?

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Talbot has slowed down considerably and he's always hurt.

I'd rather inquire about Helm in DET or Soderberg(UFA to be) in BOS?

i get that but thats a reach to think two teams in the hunt would trade with another one in the chase.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
I dont think the Coyotes are making the playoffs this year so they might deal.

I really like the Hanzal suggestion, and I was looking at Mikkel Boedker. It would be tough getting them under the cap and it would be costly and disruptive to team chemistry to move some current players to make it work. Boedker's speed would really be a nice add.

Zuccarello Awesome*

i get that but thats a reach to think two teams in the hunt would trade with another one in the chase.

Not that far of a reach as

a) one or both teams may start sliding as the cream starts to rise (I'm not sure there's room for both DET or BOS with the way some teams are playing. NYR, NYI, MON, WAS, PIT, TBL are locks. With the way Florida, Ottawa, Toronto, and Winnipeg have looked lately, it's going to be a struggle for both teams to make the wild card.

b) more importantly, both teams have holes to fill; more than the Rangers. Perhaps DET likes the idea of adding JMoore on the cheap along with some NHL-ready prospects (ie Miller).

Detroit's defense is all out of whack.

Trading Helm and Kindl and brining in Miller, JMoore, and picks/prospects clears more than 3M which DET will need for what seems like their inevitable trade for a top RHD like Tyler Myers or Byfuglien. BOS could also afford to part with UFA-to-be Carl Soderberg if it means improving their team / filling another need / clearing space for a separate re-tool / series of trades that improve their team. Their mojo is missing and they could certainly benefit from some sort of shake-up.

It's a reach, sure. But it's not out of the realm of possibility.

That's why I would inquire about those players and see what their GMs are looking to do. Especially in Helm's case: with the emergence and accelerated development of guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, etc... Helm becomes expendable in DET. Abelkader and Drew Miller have become mainstays there as well and both are significantly cheaper than Helm.

I'm not great on exact values for trades, but I'd be looking at something like

JT Miller, J Moore, one of [Haggerty/Kristo/Allen/McIlrath], and one of our 2nd round draft picks

for Helm and one of [Kindl / Smith]

Hagelin Hayes Helm

as our 3rd line.

Kindl / Klein

as our bottom pair.

No weaknesses throughout the entire lineup.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Islanders fans have been down so long that now that things all of sudden have turned around completely think they're unbeatable. It's almost like us the season after the lockout. Chances of them going all the way in the playoffs are not really very good. Getting bounced a few times in the playoffs brings the majority of a fan base back to reality. They haven't had that pleasure in so long that I'll excuse their over enthusiasm for now.

It seems like our rivalry with them is really going to heat up in the next few years. I have to say I don't believe in Halak. He's done stuff like this before. Played great for a long stretch in a year but he never sustains it. He's comparable in my eyes to Corey Crawford. He needs a super team in front of him--that actually carries him instead of the other way around. Apart from that though I think the Islanders have a really solid and young team. They should be a playoff team for at least the next several seasons.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
We have arguably the best top 4 in the league. We don't need a defenseman.

I disagree. When we roll into the playoffs and play 25+ games, and our defenseman depth is jeopardized by injuries because it's bound to happen, we will have Moore/Hunwick or possibly both playing double digit ice time night in and night out - you don't want that, I don't want that, the team most certainly doesn't want that.

AV loves his D, and if we add another solid blueliner whose more defensively minded like Sekera for a great price, we must obtain.

I understand our FO% is absolutely horrible, sometimes 2:1 in the game, but I think we will benefit in the long run by having the best D practically in the league.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Islanders fans have been down so long that now that things all of sudden have turned around completely think they're unbeatable. It's almost like us the season after the lockout. Chances of them going all the way in the playoffs are not really very good. Getting bounced a few times in the playoffs brings the majority of a fan base back to reality. They haven't had that pleasure in so long that I'll excuse their over enthusiasm for now.

It seems like our rivalry with them is really going to heat up in the next few years. I have to say I don't believe in Halak. He's done stuff like this before. Played great for a long stretch in a year but he never sustains it. He's comparable in my eyes to Corey Crawford. He needs a super team in front of him--that actually carries him instead of the other way around. Apart from that though I think the Islanders have a really solid and young team. They should be a playoff team for at least the next several seasons.

I'm not entirely sure the bolded is true. The last two teams he played on made a habit of dropping him the moment he had a bad game or two. He's always played in a tandem and never been "the" guy. Until now. We don't know what his recovery from a couple of letdown games is really like. I understood why the Canadiens traded him, but honestly, I thought he got a raw deal in St Louis.

He's the guy now. We will see.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
I would call that an opportunity, or a luxury, not a need.

Not that I disagree with you, but being brutally honest about it - what ISN'T a luxury at this point?

We're top 10 in scoring. We're top 10 in GAA. We're top 10 in Powerplay. We're borderline top 10 in PK.

Aside from a defensive forward (ideally a C/RW to spell Glass/Stempniak), what do we really need?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Not that I disagree with you, but being brutally honest about it - what ISN'T a luxury at this point?

We're top 10 in scoring. We're top 10 in GAA. We're top 10 in Powerplay. We're borderline top 10 in PK.

Aside from a defensive forward (ideally a C/RW to spell Glass/Stempniak), what do we really need?

Why?

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Simple what do the Rangers need for another cup run with a different ending...

This team has a good a shot as any if they stay healthy.

Do they have the depth to sustain an injury at a key position?

I believe they have already made the changes from last year to take the next step provided they are healthy and playing at potential. This is the team

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Not that far of a reach as

a) one or both teams may start sliding as the cream starts to rise (I'm not sure there's room for both DET or BOS with the way some teams are playing. NYR, NYI, MON, WAS, PIT, TBL are locks. With the way Florida, Ottawa, Toronto, and Winnipeg have looked lately, it's going to be a struggle for both teams to make the wild card.

b) more importantly, both teams have holes to fill; more than the Rangers. Perhaps DET likes the idea of adding JMoore on the cheap along with some NHL-ready prospects (ie Miller).

Detroit's defense is all out of whack.

Trading Helm and Kindl and brining in Miller, JMoore, and picks/prospects clears more than 3M which DET will need for what seems like their inevitable trade for a top RHD like Tyler Myers or Byfuglien. BOS could also afford to part with UFA-to-be Carl Soderberg if it means improving their team / filling another need / clearing space for a separate re-tool / series of trades that improve their team. Their mojo is missing and they could certainly benefit from some sort of shake-up.

It's a reach, sure. But it's not out of the realm of possibility.

That's why I would inquire about those players and see what their GMs are looking to do. Especially in Helm's case: with the emergence and accelerated development of guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, etc... Helm becomes expendable in DET. Abelkader and Drew Miller have become mainstays there as well and both are significantly cheaper than Helm.

I'm not great on exact values for trades, but I'd be looking at something like

JT Miller, J Moore, one of [Haggerty/Kristo/Allen/McIlrath], and one of our 2nd round draft picks

for Helm and one of [Kindl / Smith]

Hagelin Hayes Helm

as our 3rd line.

Kindl / Klein

as our bottom pair.

No weaknesses throughout the entire lineup.

In the modern history of the NHL, how often do conference rivals make deadlines trades when both teams are in a tight race for a playoff spot?

And even if he'll froze over and Detroit or Boston made a trade with us, that's way too much give to shore up the ass end of our top 9.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I disagree. When we roll into the playoffs and play 25+ games, and our defenseman depth is jeopardized by injuries because it's bound to happen, we will have Moore/Hunwick or possibly both playing double digit ice time night in and night out - you don't want that, I don't want that, the team most certainly doesn't want that.

AV loves his D, and if we add another solid blueliner whose more defensively minded like Sekera for a great price, we must obtain.

I understand our FO% is absolutely horrible, sometimes 2:1 in the game, but I think we will benefit in the long run by having the best D practically in the league.

wait. what ? this agenda that the defense is bad is a fallacy. the injury argument is relative. all teams face the same issues. we can't have 6 ryan mcdonaghs.

last season we went to the scf with this same defense less stralman.

this season we have a much improved kevin klein and dan boyle. the rest are the same.

fyi, john moore played the most playoff games of any dman 23 or under last playoffs

hes not the problem.

Callafan24

Sep 22, 2010
New York City
Lowest man on the totem pole, really. If we bring in a player that better fits, he sits.

This. A bottom-six energy player who PK's and (maybe) can take draws.

And if possible a 3LD that skates, plays mistake free hockey and is a better fit with Boyle and Klein.

Go to war.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad