What is Laine's ceiling as a GoalScorer?

What’s Laines Goalscoring potential moving forward?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think he undoubtedly has the potential of being the best of his generation. I'm not sure he has the skating and all around offensive game to truly end up in contention for the best all time. Just to keep it recent, I don't see him ever being viewed as good as Ovechkin as a goalscorer for instance. Though if you're the best of the generation i suppose youre going to end up in the conversation at least.

Reactions: TheFountainhead

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Laine's potential has already been reached but Matthews' potential is somehow a 60 + goalscorer.

Am I doing it right?

Oh sure, even though I've never said anything like that before :shakehead

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Mid season he was a 25-30 Goal scorer in your account:laugh:

That said I do love the commentary, it’s very interesting to say the least:popcorn:
Thanks. Maybe add something to discussion rather then berating other people's opinions because they don't agree with yours.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Thanks. Maybe add something to discussion rather then berating other people's opinions because they don't agree with yours.

I don’t necessarily disagree I’m just saying I like the entertainment of your comments... Is that a crime? No one can say what a player will get in the future, maybe he goes upwards or maybe he goes downawards, no one knows.

Reactions: olli

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
If you ever had an opinion that didn't trash the Jets or their players, maybe we would respond to you that way. But most of your posts are troll posts towards us, so you get the replies that you deserve.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
"Greatest Goalscorer of his time in the NHL".

Barring big change in environment topping out at about 55-60 sounds reasonable to me.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'm guessing he's the most popular choice to step in as the best scorer after Ovechkin decides he doesn't feel like it anymore. Not seeing Laine being quite as good scorer but he has a chance to be the best of his generation.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
He has the best shot in the NHL. He scores most of this goals like Brett Hull, Stamkos and Ovechkin, so I see an upside in this era similar to Ovechkin in his prime.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think he could be considered the best goalscorer of his generation...I also think that because he's a "sniper" he won't necessarily have to pull ahead of the guys that should contend with him for that title to be thought of as being the best. Like if you asked an average hockey fan who was a better goal scorer between Kovalchuk and Malkin (chosen for a goal-per-game in the same range) I think it would be a resounding win for Kovalchuk, more than the 8% difference in GPG would probably justify

for example, if Laine and Matthews score at identical rates through their careers, I think Laine will be widely considered the better goal scorer because it fits with the idea of Laine that most people have

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Thing people don't always notice about Laine is that he always makes unselfish plays and is very much a team player. So I expect him to gets a good amount on points due to his unselfish play. But otherwise, I could see him being a consistent 40-50 goal scorer.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Legit shot at most goals in the league from 16-17 to whenever he retires. Won't be the greatest goalscorer ever though.

He's probably close to it, honestly.

Goal-scoring peaks early.

I think Laine is different in that he's so raw still as an athlete by NHL standards. He basically rode his shot in the first 2 seasons. I don't have a crystal ball on how he chooses to train moving forward but there's no question he can take big leaps in everything from endurance to acceleration to agility.

This is not too uncommon for kids growing up in Finland, training isn't as serious and close to NHL training as it is for kids in NA shooting for the top for example.

Barkov took the jump from Liiga to NHL and didn't crack 40 points in his first 2 seasons, and he's probably one of the better athletes for big guys i've seen coming out from Finland.

Granlund was like 24 before he got to top shape, said he had to ramp things up compared to how things were done back home.

Finns just tend to take a bit more time. There's still a couple levels more for Laine to reach, not that it directly skyrockets his numbers but few years from now he will be able to separate himself from dmen, make room for himself better and play at a quicker pace which will all make life easier. Currently he's playing a very stationary game and loses quite a few puck battles, because there's limits of what he's able to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad