What is Laine's ceiling as a GoalScorer?

What’s Laines Goalscoring potential moving forward?

• Total voters

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
He could take over from Ovi as the greatest goalscorer in the league, that shot is unreal.

solidmotion

Jun 5, 2012
I don't know, he's 20.
fair enough, but only just: stamkos peaked at 21, ovechkin at 22. we will probably see laine's peak very soon.

whoever said he plays a stationary game is right on the money. hopefully he can round out his game and not rely so much on one-timers.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
fair enough, but only just: stamkos peaked at 21, ovechkin at 22. we will probably see laine's peak very soon.

whoever said he plays a stationary game is right on the money. hopefully he can round out his game and not rely so much on one-timers.

I'd wager Laine could peak even after 23yo, which is the average. He has a knee injury from the past that he has to catch up with, and he has a massive frame to fill.

Based on his huge frame, the absolutely dominant shot, extremely high hockey IQ, his current trajectory (including deeper understanding of his usage in the Jets) and the fact that he is only just going to play his pure 20yo season next season, I'm gonna go with the first option. I think we are looking at an all-time great here.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Ceiling is him contending for the best goalscorer ever. He scored 44 goals while being younger than Ovechkin was when he first played in NHL. That's a good starting point.

Both were readier than Laine physically, though. I expect Laine to peak a bit later.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017

i agree with this i think laine hits 50 goals next year and maybe 60 in one of the next 3 years after that and then we see a steady 40 goal career until hes a 30 goal 50 point player into his early 30s. if he works on his skating and endurance he shld have a 500+ goal career when its all said and done

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Went with option 3.

While his ceiling may be top of his generation I doubt he'll even get there. To many young snipers in his generation that will challenge him or exceed him. Still has a long way to go before he becomes a complete hockey player but his shot is deffinitly one of the best in the league.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Went with option 3.

While his ceiling may be top of his generation I doubt he'll even get there. To many young snipers in his generation that will challenge him or exceed him. Still has a long way to go before he becomes a complete hockey player but his shot is deffinitly one of the best in the league.

I mean there is only really 3 pure goal scoring competitors at the moment(Matthews, Boeser and Svechnikov)
and Laine is younger than two of them while arguably having better DY goal stats than the one who’s not. I’m not saying he’s gonna be the best of his generation but I don’t know if there’s that much young competition as you mention.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I picked option 1 as in he'll be one OF the best ever.

Personally I think Ovechkin's going to hold the best sniper of all time status for a long while after he retires

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I mean there is only really 3 pure goal scoring competitors at the moment(Matthews, Boeser and Svechnikov)
and Laine is younger than two of them while arguably having better DY goal stats than the one who’s not. I’m not saying he’s gonna be the best of his generation but I don’t know if there’s that much young competition as you mention.

This draft alone has Svech, Zadina and Wahlstrom all primarily snipers and top 5~ draftees.

Last years draft had Tolvanen and Tippett.

It's becoming more popular again which is sweet.

Ovechkin didn't have that many pure snipers going up against him either

Reactions: libertarian

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
This draft alone has Svech, Zadina and Wahlstrom all primarily snipers and top 5~ draftees.

Last years draft had Tolvanen and Tippett.

It's becoming more popular again which is sweet.

Ovechkin didn't have that many pure snipers going up against him either

Kovalchuk, Heatley, Stamkos?

Rene Saari

May 30, 2016
With the information at this point:
4-6 Maurice Richards
450+ goals (probably closer 600)
Perennial 45+ goal scorer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
His ceiling, once Ovie retires. He will win the most Rocket Richard's of this generations goal scorers because Laine is the best goal scorer of his generation of goal scorers.

He's already one the best teenage goal scorers in history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad