What is James Neal's ceiling?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I'd say with our centers, he will be a consistent 30-35 goal scorer as a Pen. I think last season shouldnt be expected as a norm... Although I'd love nothing more than for him to make me eat crow on that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd say with our centers, he will be a consistent 30-35 goal scorer as a Pen. I think last season shouldnt be expected as a norm... Although I'd love nothing more than for him to make me eat crow on that.

So my 72 goals in 48 games projection isn't happening then? :rant:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
In both games, when Neal holds the puck, he gives an 'elite' vibe, not a 'second-wheel' vibe.

What is his ceiling in terms of both his point total peak, and a historic/current player comparison? I remember hearing Doan after we traded for him. Finally, will he ever be in the Richard conversation (not necessarily win, but at least in the conversation).

You probably have heard of a guy called Mozyakin by now. Everybody gets better playing with Malkin. Neal is a great player himselfm, you can't take that from him, but he's a 50-goal scorer with Malkin at center, maybe a Richard candidate.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
You saw it last year. He was 7th in league scoring. That will probably never happen again. If his numbers go up, it's because league scoring went up.

For the 50 goals, 100 points crowd... 1 person scored 100 points last year, 2 people scored 50 goals. James Neal is not going to win an Art Ross and probably won't win a Richard (there's always the Cheechoo situation).

Yeah but that guy who got 100 points plays on Neal's line. And there's another 100 point guy that plays on the powerplay with him.

By proxy his numbers could up just because he's playing a full year with both a healthy Crosby and Malkin.

And also...yeah...league scoring might go up.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
50 in 50(48). Book it.
Or not, but offensively if he hits last season's stats again I'd be pretty happy. Physically, I recall some games in his second year as a
Star really looking like a man amongst boys. I feel he took some if the edge off his game after he got a suspension (or a fine? Can't remember) that year. I want that edge back.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
So my 72 goals in 48 games projection isn't happening then? :rant:

As much as Winnik's 96 goals in 48 games has a chance of happening, so yes, I think Neal can touch 72! :)

btw I think Neal could be a regular 40 goal guy with a healthy Malkin. On any other team, he's a 20-something guy, with maybe a 30-35 goal ceiling. So why can't 45-50 be his ceiling with Malkin? 27 goals with Dallas during his sophomore, and had 21 goals in 59 games before being traded with Pittsburgh. That's a near 30 goal pace. It's something like 28.5 goals. Lets not count his first 20 games with Pittsburgh. He was playing with Letestu and Kovalev. lol And he was also playing in a new environment, figuring out his line mates, and had a lot of media and fan attention on him to produce.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He reminds me of Heatley, but a little more shifty, quicker. Both have great shots and of course Heatley with Spezza were magic and made him a twice 50 goal scorer...but he turned into a ******.

I think Neal paired with Malkin can replicate the same level...there is no excuse not to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad