What is it Like to be From a Small Town that is Home to an NHL Star?

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Bobby Clarke, Gerry Hart, and Ted Hampson (some of you may be too young to know 2 of the 3!) are just a few of the guys born and raised in my home town of Flin Flon.

Obviously BC is still a big deal in Flin Flon. There used to be a huge sign "Flin Flon - Home of Bobby Clarke" just coming into town. The sign weathered and a new one put up to depict Home of Bobby plus several others. He still makes his way back pretty much every summer for a visit as he still has family in the area.

Gerry Hart used to come back every summer for a few weeks and has a beautiful cabin on one of the many lakes in the area. I believe he still does...don't live there anymore!

Ted Hampson still makes his way back occasionally but is getting on in years.

They were all very much revered in our community that used to be close to 13,000 but sadly down to 5,000 or so now.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
I grew up in St. Thomas ON, when you enter the town there is a sign that says Welcome to St. Thomas, home of Joe Thornton. Lots of coverage of Joe here.

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
I'd imagine that it'd just be on town signage when you enter the municipality and there are stories on the news about the guy covering what he's doing in the NHL moreso than other players, but beyond that I wouldn't anticipate much. Doubt that a town's identify is that highly defined by an individual that likely doesn't live there anymore during the offseason aside from maybe that's what outsiders think of when they hear the town's name.

that is true, one peeve i have with my radio coverage is the lack of coverage on american games. as a boston fan i can only hear the results if they play either a canadian team or the capitals

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
But in all seriousness, Dan Cleary is from a town 30 mins away from me about 1000 but the whole area is close to 15000 or so. There was a massive crowd for his Stanley Cup parade in 2008

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I don't know if Oshawa is considered a small town (it's a very small city in the GTA)

Reasonably large city in the GTA

But Lindros was a big deal here and I wasn't even a hockey fan at that time in my life, but I remember that time even though I was probably only 10 years old give or take.

Everyone wanted to get his police hockey card. It was worth like $125 or something.

He was in the papers because he was doing all this bad stuff in nightclubs etc. assaulting women and such (I imagine the woman assaulted him, knowing who he was, getting up in his **** because of who he is)

I think most people hated Lindros because of all they heard about him without knowing him. Then again his parents seemed like they got caught up in the hype and didn't really help their son the way they should have.

Lindros seems like a completely different person now doesn't he?

Local fame is a weird thing.

Lindros isn't from Oshawa
People in Oshawa hated ALL of that Memorial Cup winning team.
The Lindros attitude affected everyone on that team.

Scott Thronton has 2x won the Cup, and came home, but had no public reception.

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
My home town is pretty large in both pop and area.

I know nothing of Josh Bailey
Bryan Bickell has an annual golf tournament
He doesn't live here since he and his wife are big on pit bulls, which are illegal in this province.

My former hometown has quite a few NHLers. Wayne Simmonds, Chris Stewart
Its a huge town, and they didn't live anywhere near me.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Kind of related - I've got a cottage up near Parry Sound where Bobby Orr was. Nothing special tbh. There's a sign here and there, and some store named after him.

Dog

Cleary_korab.jpg

harbourgracenf2.jpg

4532540847_15630e8221.jpg

38c3f1af-a432-4e08-bb2c-883c6631cccd.jpg

14368638_1098386293543943_7546414971833466078_n.jpg

Danny Cleary Harbour Grace Community Centre

Pretty much everything is named after the guy

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
People love Chris Pronger in Dryden, but it wasn't that way very early in his career. People were jealous and I think if you ask Chris, he also was a bit of a dick lol. But I mean, teenager, huge hype, lots of money...most would be. He grew up, and people got over it.

He doesn't live there anymore obviously but he used to come back during the summers when he was younger, and did bring the Cup there.

I think the relationship is pretty good between Pronger and the city now. You're right though, it wasn't always this way. I think part of it stemmed from how, like you said, he was kind of a dick in his early years which is understandable with fame.

I was growing up in Dryden basically all throughout his NHL career, and I rarely ever heard of him coming back home. He probably did when he was in his early 20s to see friends, but I don't really remember as I was too young. I mean, he bought his parents a big house on the lake and I remember he came home for one weekend for a few summers and threw a party for his closest friends there, but that's about it other than when he brought the Cup home. There was a rumour going around that he didn't even want to bring the Cup back to Dryden initially, and that he just wanted to take it somewhere on vacation instead. Idk if I really believe that, but people back then did and it didn't sit well with a lot of folks.

I think people around town kind of resented the fact that he never really came back and did anything in the community while he was still playing. You see all kinds of guys like Mike Richards from Kenora come home and throw an annual golf tournament to raise money for the community, but I can't really say Chris ever did anything like this during his career.

It's a completely different story now that he is retired though. He has been back a number of times, donated a generous amount of money to the town's rink, and done a number of things in the community. I got the chance to say hi and have a bit of a conversation with him a couple of summers ago when he was in town, and he's seriously a great guy.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Lucknow-Mural-Paul-Henderson-Flickr-Pampered-Paws1.jpg

I come from a small town of around 1100 people. Paul Henderson is very well liked, and still a pretty big deal here. Our arena has a wing named after him, he has a minor hockey award named after him, and is very highly spoken of around town. The mural of him in the summit series is kind of the centre piece of our town. He doesn't live here anymore but you will always hear about when he visits.

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
I think the relationship is pretty good between Pronger and the city now. You're right though, it wasn't always this way. I think part of it stemmed from how, like you said, he was kind of a dick in his early years which is understandable with fame.

I was growing up in Dryden basically all throughout his NHL career, and I rarely ever heard of him coming back home. He probably did when he was in his early 20s to see friends, but I don't really remember as I was too young. I mean, he bought his parents a big house on the lake and I remember he came home for one weekend for a few summers and threw a party for his closest friends there, but that's about it other than when he brought the Cup home. There was a rumour going around that he didn't even want to bring the Cup back to Dryden initially, and that he just wanted to take it somewhere on vacation instead. Idk if I really believe that, but people back then did and it didn't sit well with a lot of folks.

I think people around town kind of resented the fact that he never really came back and did anything in the community while he was still playing. You see all kinds of guys like Mike Richards from Kenora come home and throw an annual golf tournament to raise money for the community, but I can't really say Chris ever did anything like this during his career.

It's a completely different story now that he is retired though. He has been back a number of times, donated a generous amount of money to the town's rink, and done a number of things in the community. I got the chance to say hi and have a bit of a conversation with him a couple of summers ago when he was in town, and he's seriously a great guy.

The guy hit Bieber, how bad can he really be?

I will say that when the Flyers had Richards, Pronger, and Parent (spent time in Sioux Lookout, On and has family there) it was a great time for the entirety of Northwestern Ontario. I think people like Chris now but I remember people being up in arms that he wouldn't come back to Dryden. But he spent a lot of money renovating the outdoor rink and with Drydens economic issues I think that was greatly appreciated.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
None from the town I live in right now but Sean Couturier grew up in my home town of Bathurst NB after his dads NHL career finished. His dad has been the GM of the Acadie-Bathurst Titan for as long as I can remember.

Here in Sask there's lots of players but none from where I currently live. I did a quick google search though and there's currently 30 active players in the NHL from Saskatchewan.

I figured since Sask is a pretty small province population wise that I would list all the currently active players in the NHL from Sask. As you can see most come from the two major city centers in Saskatchewan in Regina and Saskatoon but SK is littered with loads of small towns and there's a good portion that come from the smaller towns as well.

Regina (193,000. I know, not small)Patrick Marleau, Ryan Getzlaf, Tyler Bozak, Scott Hartnell, Chris Kunitz, and Jordan Eberle, Matt Dumba Brayden, Devan Dubnyk.

Saskatoon ( 220,000. Again I know, not small)Luke Schenn, Brayden Schenn, Brayden McNabb, Eric Gryba, Tayler Leier, Cam Ward, Darcy Kuemper, Chandler Stephenson

Adam Cracknell and Josh Manson are from Prince Albert, SK (35,000)
Brayden Holtby is from Lloydminster, SK (27,000)
Derrick Pouliot is from Weyburn, SK (10,000)
Dustin Tokarski is from Humbolt, SK (5,000)
Dwight King is from Meadow Lake, SK (5,000)
Darek Dorsett is from Kindersley, SK (4,700)
Boyd Gordon is from Unity, Saskatchewan ( 2,400)
Zack Smith is from Maple Creek, SK (2,100)
Ryan Murrey is from White city, SK (1,800)
Linden Vey is from Wakaw, SK (985)

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
The guy hit Bieber, how bad can he really be?

On a related note, I'm from the Stratford area, and the amount of hate that Bieber gets is comical.

You'd think an internationally acclaimed artist would command respect, but no. Then again, coming back and acting like a 4yr old at Walmart(he was throwing shut in the aisles), and just being arrogant in general doesn't help.

A couple of years ago he infamously brought Selena Gomez to town, creating havoc. I once saw him riding around in a Bugatti as well. He used to come to my school to pick up his friends too in a black Tahoe. His parents were/still are crackheads.

He has brought a lot of attention though, as droves of tourist frequently visit just for him.

Jonsson

May 28, 2010
Vetlanda, Sweden
well I come from a small town (about 13000 ppl live here)...the place where Franzén, Erik Karlsson and Tedenby came from...well I have met them several times...course they don't live here thouXD but they are usually here at summer...and from what I've heard they get left alone for the most time...sure some ppl recognize them and may ask for a signature...Franzén is pretty cool thou...he usually helps with participating in the towns hockey practice...that is like 3 divisions lower than swedens top league hehehe.
Also Hammer Hjalmarsson comes from like 20 miles from here or so...(like 20-30 min drive or so)...so yeah...they do get some fame...but is usually kept so they can have their privacy...no media whatsoever. atleast this has made it possible for me to hold and kiss the Stanley Cup trophy 4 times=)

Jan 3, 2012
I'm from Burford, home of Adam Henrique and about ~700-1500 people. He is a fairly big deal here and most people know who he is. When they got to the cup finals a couple years back, most places had something on the sign outside their business showing support. He is a pretty nice guy and fairly well known in the community, I know him myself from seeing him out golfing at the local course.

1339700386580_ORIGINAL.jpg

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Allan MacInnis is from my hometown (Port Hood N.S.) ~1500 people.

We have the standard sign coming into town and the rink is named after him. He's been instrumental in getting some pretty major renovations done to the place (NHLPA funding etc.).

I don't know the guy personally but by all accounts he's a nice humble guy.

Rille

Jan 22, 2011
Örnsköldsvik
I'm from Örnsköldsvik where Peter Forsberg, Markus Näslund, the Sedins, Victor Hedman and some other NHL:ers come from. They all have a pretty low profile and people tend to leave them alone. Tobias Enström is an exception, I have to say I wasn't surprised he got assaulted here, because he and his brother (who plays for Modo) can be pretty obnoxious when out. I'm not saying it was right but I wasn't surprised to hear it either.

Can confirm this. When Sedin and his family wanted to go to an island in the archipelago they took the public boat and paid ten bucks like everyone else. When we arrived I saw Enström with his yacht.

Nothing wrong with a yacht but just a different mentality.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

Cool. Fellow Drydenite. Yeah the town loves him now but early in his career there were alot of bitter people. No real reason for it other than jealousy. Probably just guys sitting around the mill with nothing better to do than ***** about him haha.

Regarding that house on the lake. That was Chris'. He built it. His parents moved in a few years later since it just sat empty.

And yeah he's a great guy. Just as funny as deadpan as he is in his old interviews.

Mike Richards...I've seen him at Harbourfest in Kenora partying it up with the commoners lol. I've seen Toews there too.

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK
Nearby "city" hasn't had any star players. The King brothers and Jeff Friesen are the only hockey players I know.

Pretty sure Corey Schwab dropped by a car dealership with the Cup on his way to North Battleford. No signs or anything though.

Goodsoil, a nearby town has or had a sign for a former Ranger, Ron Greschner.
I'm actually from meadow lake so I see them around quite a bit too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad