What is it Like to be From a Small Town that is Home to an NHL Star?

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
It was a big deal in Revelstoke (pop 7,500) when Aaron Volpatti signed for the Canucks and later played for them. I don't think anyone here expected him to make the NHL. The local paper wasn't obsessive in its coverage. I recall an article when he was signed, and another when he made his NHL debut, and another when he went to Washington.

He got about as much coverage as locals who moved up the ranks in sports like skiing and mountain biking, which are probably more popular than hockey here.

Sicamous, just down the road, named the street outside their arena after Shea Weber.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Lived in a small town with a population of < 3,000

A somewhat highly touted player drafted in the late 90s won a cup a few years back. They had a parade but that was about it. Players family is well known in town because of their business, but besides that you only ever notice he is home because he bombs around in his Corvette

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Just curious what it is like for a smallish/or tiny town that has one of its "sons" go on to be a star on the world stage?

Do they still live there?

Do people bother them incessantly or are they allowed to be a regular person...

Born in NYC, more specifically Staten Island, we had Nick Fotiu as a hometown hero. But people were always low-key when he was around....more of a hug and "let me buy you a beer when seeing him a Schaffer's Tavern or other local...

Lastly, do people become fans of the team that guy play's for, or is it "I am a Habs or Leafs fan but want him to do well."

Thanks!

Not NHL, but Turlock California is pretty much a shrine to Colin Kaepernick especially since he went on to play for the hometown 9ers. Every single fast food and mom&pop restaurant has photos/helmets/jerseys/autographs of his everywhere.

Winter94

Jun 18, 2013
I'm from the same city as Grant Fuhr. The population is like 30,000 now but when I first met him, it was around 15,000, but my uncles used to go to school with him back in the day.

Have gotten to meet him twice, once as a kid when we had a ceremony to honour him after the naming of the local arena. I remember him skating around but didn't really know who he was as I wasn't big into hockey at the time. It's a pretty neat thing to see his mask on the wall though (until someone stole it - but I'm sure Grant gave them another one). From what I remember, there wasn't alot of people there when he came to do an autograph session after the arena ceremony ended. He was chatting with people and such. Is a nice guy, he always seem to be smiling.

The Edmonton Oilers autograph signing (when I went in 2008) at West Edmonton Mall though was insane. There were alot of long lineups...

The second time, I met Grant Fuhr was at the Canadian Brewhouse (small city). He went around the entire bar, stopping at each table, greeting people, and when he came to our table, he offered to shake hands with me, and he was nice enough to sign my jersey and to take a picture with him.

Edit:

Here's the program from his ceremony. Interestingly enough, a small town nearby named their arena after Glenn Hall and has a mural of him in a Blackhawks jersey with leather pads. Didn't think we'd have two HHOF goalies. (Edit: found out Glenn Hall lives there - that makes sense now lol)

UUahntp.jpg

Last edited:

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Driving through and working in some of those small, and I mean small little towns in Sask, it amazes me that they've produced so many NHLers. I really should try and get out to more minor hockey games on a quiet night when in the middle of nowhere Saskatchewan.

My hometown in Ontario of 10,000 hasn't produced squat since the Original 6 days. Other towns in the area have some currently playing and guys who spent time with the local Jr. A team have but no homegrown talent has gotten higher then semi-pro.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Just curious what it is like for a smallish/or tiny town that has one of its "sons" go on to be a star on the world stage?

Do they still live there?

Do people bother them incessantly or are they allowed to be a regular person...

Born in NYC, more specifically Staten Island, we had Nick Fotiu as a hometown hero. But people were always low-key when he was around....more of a hug and "let me buy you a beer when seeing him a Schaffer's Tavern or other local...

Lastly, do people become fans of the team that guy play's for, or is it "I am a Habs or Leafs fan but want him to do well."

Thanks!

I don't know if Oshawa is considered a small town (it's a very small city in the GTA)

But Lindros was a big deal here and I wasn't even a hockey fan at that time in my life, but I remember that time even though I was probably only 10 years old give or take.

Everyone wanted to get his police hockey card. It was worth like $125 or something.

He was in the papers because he was doing all this bad stuff in nightclubs etc. assaulting women and such (I imagine the woman assaulted him, knowing who he was, getting up in his **** because of who he is)

I think most people hated Lindros because of all they heard about him without knowing him. Then again his parents seemed like they got caught up in the hype and didn't really help their son the way they should have.

Lindros seems like a completely different person now doesn't he?

Local fame is a weird thing.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Alexandre Burrows is born near where I live. He has an arena here, and participate in street hockey leagues he created. I know some guys that used to play with him on outdoor rink when he was younger.
Sucks that he didn't win the cup in 2011, probably would've brought it here.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Cody Franson and Shea Weber are from sicamous, BC. Cody isn't as big but shea does a lot of work in town, even plays some pick up games and drinks with the locals. Acts like a regular guy when in town

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I can walk downtown Warburg, Alberta (population 789 and still produced 2 NHL coaches) in my Sabres Lindy Ruff jersey and get a high five from everyone.

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
People love Chris Pronger in Dryden, but it wasn't that way very early in his career. People were jealous and I think if you ask Chris, he also was a bit of a dick lol. But I mean, teenager, huge hype, lots of money...most would be. He grew up, and people got over it.

He doesn't live there anymore obviously but he used to come back during the summers when he was younger, and did bring the Cup there.

I once mispronounced Chris Pronger as "**** Cronger" when my dad was introducing me to him. I was like 5 mind you.

Not sure he liked me very much.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He's not considered a star yet but I grew up and still live in Thornhill, Ontario which is in York Region and I'm 5 minutes away from where Toronto is considered to start at. However Mitch Marner is also from Thornhill and I can't remember any other Maple Leafs who grew up in the same area.

Bathcat

Slavin is mediocre
Jul 26, 2010
Oakland
Dunno if Victoria is considered a small town, but the Benn brothers aren't liked at all. By all accounts they were bullying **********.

Bathcat

Slavin is mediocre
Jul 26, 2010
Oakland
He's not considered a star yet but I grew up and still live in Thornhill, Ontario which is in York Region and I'm 5 minutes away from where Toronto is considered to start at. However Mitch Marner is also from Thornhill and I can't remember any other Maple Leafs who grew up in the same area.

McDavid is from Richmond Hill which is right next to Thornhill.

Bathcat

Slavin is mediocre
Jul 26, 2010
Oakland
Newmarket is still like a 20 minute drive away. Pretty close. I wouldn't be surprised if McDavid considers Newmarket his hometown, it's a really nice area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad