What is Dave Hodge referring to

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I'm seriously wondering if the problems are moving beyond systemics?
I called the situation a powder keg with the Eller incident.
That stuff doesn't just go away the team was able to put it aside last year but...

The two mediators are gone.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Pittsburgh realized quickly MT wore out his welcome despite the standings. It's time for Bergevin to reach that same conclusion because our current success is a mirage so long as Therrien is employed. That much is evident by how awful Subban has been, how Galchenyuk has completely fizzled out, our defense is in shambles and Desharnais continues to be used despite yet another poor start.

Pittsburgh was at risk of missing the playoffs when they fired MT mid-season and replaced him with Bylsma. The rest as they say is history.

Nynja*

As it stands right now, were in the bottom 10 of most stats, basic and advanced, we have a goal differential worthy of middle of the pack, outside of that 5 game streak where we won by 3 goal each game, were either barely winning, or we get blown out (or we take 1 point out of 4 against the worst team in the league). If it werent for Carey Price letting the habs win those barely winning games, we too would be on the outside looking in right now.

And to the "BUT DA RECORD" supporters:
eqvse.jpg

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I don't follow advanced stats, too old for that stuff. But I know for certain from watching the games that yes we are not nearly as good as our record. It just never passed the eye test. Regardless of DD. Many of us saw problems in all kinds of things. I think DD could be useful, but not with this coach. MT is so stubborn with vets and lineups he likes that is insane we have as many W as we do. If we had even a middle of the pack PP we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Why is the PP so awful? Well i think we all know the reason. Part of it is the same line usage as regular 5 on 5. This makes little sense given how well some of our 'lesser' players have been playing. If dale Weisse has as many primary assists on Patches then why not put him on the PP. I hate the idea, but it could not be any worse than the abortion we have right now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pittsburgh realized quickly MT wore out his welcome despite the standings. It's time for Bergevin to reach that same conclusion because our current success is a mirage so long as Therrien is employed. That much is evident by how awful Subban has been, how Galchenyuk has completely fizzled out, our defense is in shambles and Desharnais continues to be used despite yet another poor start.

Pittsburgh was at risk of missing the playoffs when they fired MT mid-season and replaced him with Bylsma. The rest as they say is history.

Let's buy into that for a sec, even though I believe MT is not going anywhere.

We're not Pittsburgh, our market is such that management feels compelled to make language an absolute requirement plus the other attributes teams typically look for in the hiring process. Habs won't go with a rookie coach, so who is left that fits the bill? Not a whole lot of options on the market.

DaHabMan

Sep 23, 2008
Lasalle
im of the mindset that we have the players internally to be a real cup contending team, both defensively and offensively. its the tactical, planning and coaching aspect thats holding us back right now. Defensively, everything is out of whack because JJ Daigneault does not know how to coach defense, develop defense, nor plan defensively. How would team be if only subban was playing like his normal self? i feel were like the packers of the past few years, the players are there but the schemes used are awful.

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
MB can do no wrong. He signed DD without hesitation but its MT's fault he gets played...WUT?

You expect MT to put a puny 3.5million dollar centre who can't check, can't play defensively and has no physical presence on the 3rd line? He is only average at faceoffs aswell. WTF is he going to accomplish anywhere but the top line?

Well I would agree but unfortunately he is not accomplishjng anything anywhere he plays especially the first line and on the PP. He basically is a play killer giving the puck away cause he has no pass amd my Son has a better amd harder shot than him. Lets face it he is close to the worse number one center in the NHL. If he is so important put him on waivers and aee if anyone claims his sorry contract. If we can wave Bourque certainly we can waive DD.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Let's buy into that for a sec, even though I believe MT is not going anywhere.

We're not Pittsburgh, our market is such that management feels compelled to make language an absolute requirement plus the other attributes teams typically look for in the hiring process. Habs won't go with a rookie coach, so who is left that fits the bill? Not a whole lot of options on the market.

among the good coaches in this league there's Julien, Vigneault, Hartley (dont like him, but he's doing a good job), we dont have to pretend we have a bad coach cause of language... we're not that hyprocritical, are we ??

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
among the good coaches in this league there's Julien, Vigneault, Hartley (dont like him, but he's doing a good job), we dont have to pretend we have a bad coach cause of language... we're not that hyprocritical, are we ??

You're completely distorting my post. I wasn't suggesting that there are no good francophone coaches in the league, just that there are very few options available to the Habs right now. All of the ones you are referring to are under contract with other teams. The height of hypocrisy is extrapolating like a zealot to suit an agenda that only a few here are dead set on pursuing.

The Habs will not hire a head coach without observing a language requirement -- whether one likes it or not, that is a reality we must contend with. I rightly brought up the issue when the poster I responded to drew an analogy with how Pittsburgh went to the market while MT was their coach. It's far easier for a team that doesn't have language as a prerequisite, to make a coaching move -- they are more likely to find an available candidate. It's just a question of numbers. No one is meant to be targeted or attacked by this.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You're completely distorting my post. I wasn't suggesting that there are no good francophone coaches in the league, just that there are very few options available to the Habs right now. All of the ones you are referring to are under contract with other teams. The height of hypocrisy is extrapolating like a zealot to suit an agenda that only a few here are dead set on pursuing.

The Habs will not hire a head coach without observing a language requirement -- whether one likes it or not, that is a reality we must contend with. I rightly brought up the issue when the poster I responded to drew an analogy with how Pittsburgh went to the market while MT was their coach. It's far easier for a team that doesn't have language as a prerequisite, to make a coaching move -- they are more likely to find an available candidate. It's just a question of numbers. No one is meant to be targeted or attacked by this.

Sorry if I misuderstood your post, I just read it so often I have a hard time making the difference between the ones who are just making a list of the prerequisites, so to speak, and those who are constantly whining about it.

Anyway, back to your point, the Pens fired MT and replaced him with a rookie, Julien and Vigneault did start with the Habs and they're doing just fine right now, yeard ago there was Burns, Lemaire and a few others...

so yeah, while the language thing might make it a little tougher to find a coach... think it's pretty safe to say we could find better than Lefebvre for the Dogs (didnt see any games lately but from what I've read he's putrid), and someone decent to replace MT if our GM feel it's time.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Well I would agree but unfortunately he is not accomplishjng anything anywhere he plays especially the first line and on the PP. He basically is a play killer giving the puck away cause he has no pass amd my Son has a better amd harder shot than him. Lets face it he is close to the worse number one center in the NHL. If he is so important put him on waivers and aee if anyone claims his sorry contract. If we can wave Bourque certainly we can waive DD.

MB will not be waving his favorite french player, doesn't matter what he does on the ice he will have his place.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
I expected and still do expect regression to happen. But I didn't expect it in a back to back against Buffalo.. Buffalo have been trending upwards recently though.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sorry if I misuderstood your post, I just read it so often I have a hard time making the difference between the ones who are just making a list of the prerequisites, so to speak, and those who are constantly whining about it.

Thanks. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, just being a realist and trying to put arguments in perspective. While we have more prerequisites on the coaching front, we also have other elements to offer -- kudos to MB and Geoff Molson for making Montreal a place that so many players are not shunning anymore, as they did prior to MB's arrival.

Anyway, back to your point, the Pens fired MT and replaced him with a rookie, Julien and Vigneault did start with the Habs and they're doing just fine right now, yeard ago there was Burns, Lemaire and a few others...

I wish Julien and Vigneault had started elsewhere, so that by now, we may have had a chance at hiring them as experienced NHL coaches. Our time with Julien and Vigneault (and Therrien's first stint as Habs coach, while we're at it), has shown that rookie coaches have a difficult time dealing with or faring well, given the level of scrutiny exercised by our fan base. I wonder how well we might have done with Hartley, during the last wave of interviews that led to MT's hiring.

so yeah, while the language thing might make it a little tougher to find a coach... think it's pretty safe to say we could find better than Lefebvre for the Dogs (didnt see any games lately but from what I've read he's putrid), and someone decent to replace MT if our GM feel it's time.

Lefebvre seems highly contested, irrespective of language. Reading French language blogs and sites, he is despised there as much as he is here. Just like anyone else, at some point, his performance or lack thereof will have to be met with the same type of rigorous analysis that MB and his management team apply to player acquisitions. Luckily for us, there is a fairly large talent pool of rookie and minor league francophone coaches the Habs can draw from -- I hope the next guy is someone who is more of a teacher and doesn't resort to as much confrontation. Seems to me Lefebvre's methods were more prevalent in a prior era.

Last edited:

Saintpatrick*

The main issue is coaching at this point. MT and JJ are horrible.

Nynja*

someone else said it very well, dont remember what thread its in:
Last year everyone laughed at the Leafs, because they were doing better than their stats said they should be doing, and they would come crashing down.

Were in the exact same situation this season, and these people who were laughing along at the Leafs crashing down are now turning and hiding behind "BUT DA RECORD".

Saintpatrick*

someone else said it very well, dont remember what thread its in:
Last year everyone laughed at the Leafs, because they were doing better than their stats said they should be doing, and they would come crashing down.

Were in the exact same situation this season, and these people who were laughing along at the Leafs crashing down are now turning and hiding behind "BUT DA RECORD".

Our record is very misleading. All the other stats point to a mediocre team but we've gotten alot of wins we shouldn't have gotten. Price has already stole a number of games for us which makes our record look alot better as well as a number of shootout wins.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Trying to figure out what Dave Hodge is referring to is a fruitless effort, Dave Hodge half the time doesn't even know what he's referring to, and he's as bias and negative as they come when it comes to Montreal.

The guy is a dinosaur who should have been put out to pasture ages ago.

Our record is very misleading. All the other stats point to a mediocre team but we've gotten alot of wins we shouldn't have gotten. Price has already stole a number of games for us which makes our record look alot better as well as a number of shootout wins.

Last I checked, goaltending is important. We have a solid goaltender, therefore "mediocre team" with a good goalie becomes a "good team". I really don't get how that concept is so hard to understand for a lot of people, especially those who call themselves analysts.

1) Top 5 goalie in the NHL
2) Norris caliber d (Subban)
3) Very solid second d (Markov)

People say we have mediocre stats that don't match our wins, well we have a very good goalie. Unless Price gets injured or traded that isn't going to change, so this whole hope in the hockey world of our season coming crashing down on us is a bit much. I don't see us finishing 1st in the league but we most certainly are contending like it or not.

It's really a bit much now with people acting as though it's so tough to understand, fathom or explain why we are winning. It's quite simple, top d-man check, top goalie check, top center... not yet but if we did have that those "mediocre stats" wouldn't be.

People bring up the blow outs, differential, etc. That stuff is meaningless. The style we play is the reason for that. We simply don't tighten up defensively or let off the gas most nights. That's why we often come back in games we're losing, and that's also why we often get blown out too. You can't have it both ways. Our team takes chances a lot and sometimes taking risks gets you back in the game, other times it gets you blown out. I'd much rather play this style and be winning most games with "ugly stats" than be losing more often but have stats that reflect it.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
^^^^^^^^
We are contending like it or not...
Okay then but what happens when we can no longer beat anyone in our Division?
Because that is exactly how we have played in those blowouts that don't mean anything.
Coupled with Buffalo taking 5 of 6 points from us and just general pathetic starts most nights.
I would say there is cause for concern.

habitue*

And also losses that we should not had gotten too, like the last two games when they outperformed Buffalo.

Nynja*

And also losses that we should not had gotten too, like the last two games when they outperformed Buffalo.

So we had back to back games of garbage luck against the worst team in the league? I think thats a case of "you make your own luck".

Okay, the Moulson goal in the first game, that was a garbage bounce, I'm not gonna deny that one, however that still would have only implied going to OT.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I didn't see it that way. Buffalo was definitely the superior team in the first game.

We played well enough to win the second, but had bad puck luck. Chucky should have had at least a couple, but has too much iron in his diet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad