What is Dave Hodge referring to

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I would say.....

1) Therrien's system (not him as a person)
2) Lack of top-6 offensive players
3) Old, slow defence

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
the coach has made the team worse by using veterans that are no better then the young players we already have, forces the GM to have to send them down to Hamilton.

Great job MT! :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Bergevin has shown he can get rid of contracts, but now he has to identify and get rid of a problem, whatever it is....

It's a bit weird to see a reporter call out a GM when the team is in 1st overall. When Hodge says this, he's essentially saying MB needs to make a coaching change. Eller fired a shot... treading where others wouldn't. My guess is that MT asked MB to go out and get veteran D. Well, he did it, and nothings changed. MB forced MT hand regarding Sekac. His next move has to be firing MT. I don't see him having any other choice if Montreal continues to play this way. Ya we're winning games, but not from anything MT is doing.

habitue*

the coach has made the team worse by using veterans that are no better then the young players we already have, forces the GM to have to send them down to Hamilton.

Great job MT! :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Who traded Bourque and Moen for two older guys ?

Which position these two older guys are playing ?

Anything to bash MT. Right ?

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I think the Habs are a true top line center away from being a real threat come playoff time.

I know there are a lot of guys on here that have man-crushes on Desharnais, and I myself don't hate the guy, but having him as your top line center does not add up.

Desharnais goes as Pacioretty goes, and Pacioretty is a streaky scorer.

The second line isn't gelling right now either. I'd like to see Gallagher dropped to the third line and Sekac see some time with Plekanecs and Galchenyuk. And once you can rid yourself of Desharnais whether for a winger or center, you slide Galchenyuk to center.

Problem is, top line centers don't grow on trees and most teams are looking for these guys. You have to draft these guys or sign them.

Thornton may be available but he doesn't seem to want to waive his NTC. I imagine he would turn Pacioretty into a 50 goal guy.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
I would say.....
1) Therrien's system (not him as a person)
2) Lack of top-6 offensive players
3) Old, slow defence

I would say...

Early onset senility for Dave Hodge...
T5aQycv.gif

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Who traded Bourque and Moen for two older guys ?

Which position these two older guys are playing ?

Anything to bash MT. Right ?

That MB was able to trade those guys for anything other than a bag of pucks was a miracle. Had to move them so MT wouldn't play them ahead Sekac. Veteran D aren't a bad thing, but I'd like to see at least one of Weaver/Gilbert/Allen moved. Teams are looking for Veteran D and we have a bunch. Bashing MT isn't necessarily the point, but let's be honest. When a team has stats like this they aren't winning because of coaching, their winning in spite of it.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
That MB was able to trade those guys for anything other than a bag of pucks was a miracle. Had to move them so MT wouldn't play them ahead Sekac. Veteran D aren't a bad thing, but I'd like to see at least one of Weaver/Gilbert/Allen moved. Teams are looking for Veteran D and we have a bunch. Bashing MT isn't necessarily the point, but let's be honest. When a team has stats like this they aren't winning because of coaching, their winning in spite of it.

Exactly!!!!

Domenic

Jan 13, 2007
Calgary, AB

You think that's why they were moved? Had nothing to do with their contracts? Gally signing right after these guys were dealt was a sheer coincidence, I guess.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Perhaps he's mystified by the fact the Habs have come from last overall in the East, less than 3yrs. ago, to leading the East. All of that without losing impact players in poor trades, managing the Salary Cap and moving players for the necessary pieces he needs, when he needs them. This shouldn't really be that hard to understand, Bergevin stated that was how he intended to bring his team into Stanley Cup contention, when hired as GM in May of 2012. Good on him for staying with his plan, despite the throngs of Habs fans continually asking for beheadings!:laugh::sarcasm:

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
Perhaps he's mystified by the fact the Habs have come from last overall in the East, less than 3yrs. ago, to leading the East. All of that without losing impact players in poor trades, managing the Salary Cap and moving players for the necessary pieces he needs, when he needs them. This shouldn't really be that hard to understand, Bergevin stated that was how he intended to bring his team into Stanley Cup contention, when hired as GM in May of 2012. Good on him for staying with his plan, despite the throngs of Habs fans continually asking for beheadings!:laugh::sarcasm:

People forget how absolutely dead in the water this team was three years ago. No one, and I mean no one, predicted the success we've enjoyed. Most, including myself, believed we were in for a significant rebuilding period. So a little patience, please.

habitue*

Do you know why MT was playing Bourque so much in the first dozen games ? Because him and MB wanted to see if Bourque would play and produce as well as he did in the last Playoffs. MB was agreeing with MT about playing him. As for Sekac,he was and still is a rookie who can wait few games in the stands. He is not the first rookie to be treated that way. Even Drouin in TB is being sat once in a while.

MT has ten new players to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Do you know why MT was playing Bourque so much in the first dozen games ? Because him and MB wanted to see if Bourque would play and produce as well as he did in the last Playoffs. MB was agreeing with MT about playing him. As for Sekac,he was and still is a rookie who can wait few games in the stands. He is not the first rookie to be treated that way. Even Drouin in TB is being sat once in a while.

MT has ten new players to deal with.

OK, you believe that was some sort of trial... I'll bite. Given everything known about Bork, you think they needed that much time to decipher whether or not he would suddenly come around.... no benchings, no visits to the press box (until the end) to act as a wake up call.... let's just keep playing him and evaluate him... that's what you think was happening. Bork just had to stick with the system and try harder to have success. Bork never wanted to be here, but just in case he doesn't hate it enough MT thought it would be a good idea to play him on the left side when he had most of his success in CGY on his right side.

Following that same logic. MT will continue to use the exact same system, even though it's painfully obvious that good teams (and some bad ones) are able to easily counter it. The players will just have to try harder and it will eventually succeed.

MT does not know how to adapt. Everyone must adapt for him... not exactly a winning formula in todays world, no matter the profession.

I have no problem sitting Sekac if he's not cutting it compared to others.

We've been blown out way to many times. We can't score on the PP, we can't score on the road... these are coaches issues to fix and he isn't.

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
OK, you believe that was some sort of trial... I'll bite. Given everything known about Bork, you think they needed that much time to decipher whether or not he would suddenly come around.... no benchings, no visits to the press box (until the end) to act as a wake up call.... let's just keep playing him and evaluate him... that's what you think was happening. Bork just had to stick with the system and try harder to have success. Bork never wanted to be here, but just in case he doesn't hate it enough MT thought it would be a good idea to play him on the left side when he had most of his success in CGY on his right side.

Following that same logic. MT will continue to use the exact same system, even though it's painfully obvious that good teams (and some bad ones) are able to easily counter it. The players will just have to try harder and it will eventually succeed.

MT does not know how to adapt. Everyone must adapt for him... not exactly a winning formula in todays world, no matter the profession.

I have no problem sitting Sekac if he's not cutting it compared to others.

We've been blown out way to many times. We can't score on the PP, we can't score on the road... these are coaches issues to fix and he isn't.

Dump & chase, bad possession team, trouble scoring, stretch breakout passes, it's easy to counter, this ******** doesn't work, the D is *********, Montreal's coaching staff has even made Subban a less effective player. Only reason any of the coaching staff still have a job is because of Carey Price.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
It's irritating that Hawk, Bruin and other fans think that we think that we are Cup favourites. Oh yeah, thanks Hawks fans, your insight into how to tank your way to perennial Cup contenders was missing. Bruins fans naturally butt hurt about us beating them.

Seriously, everyone here I think realizes that we are still quite a ways away from a Cup, but appreciates that we are certainly moving in the right direction AND that some of the recent moves on D have been lackluster.

I really do wonder, however what MB thinks of his current D situation. Is it just Emelin and PK under-performing or do we need ANOTHER D acquisition? Or is it that elusive C?

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
It's irritating that Hawk, Bruin and other fans think that we think that we are Cup favourites. Oh yeah, thanks Hawks fans, your insight into how to tank your way to perennial Cup contenders was missing. Bruins fans naturally butt hurt about us beating them.

Seriously, everyone here I think realizes that we are still quite a ways away from a Cup, but appreciates that we are certainly moving in the right direction AND that some of the recent moves on D have been lackluster.

I really do wonder, however what MB thinks of his current D situation. Is it just Emelin and PK under-performing or do we need ANOTHER D acquisition? Or is it that elusive C?

I think MB/MT aren't on the same page, I read somewhere that They weren't on the same page when it came to sitting Sekac in favour of Moen/Bourque so MB had to step in, I can see the same here.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
MB isn't dumb enough to think they are an elite team no matter what their record is, moving Moen & Bourque had more to do with clearing cap space beyond this season than acquiring top end guys, you're just not fetching those types of guys with players that clear waivers but it gives us some depth on the blue line and a small hope they can fill in decent enough like Weaver did last year

They've now lost 3 in a row which is fine by me, I'd rather the wakeup calls come now than continue on in a false sense of accomplishment

Should bring in Oates as an assistant to help with the PP (assuming MT goes nowhere for now) and I'd call up Hudon to play left side with Pleks, Prust moves back to the 4th and Chucky goes with Eller & Sekac

I can see MB taking one decision option out of MTs hands if the futility continues without alteration but I won't hijack the thread as we already have enough of them on that subject

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad